DVDVR Message Board

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

supremebve

Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson are the certified locks.  Calvin Johnson probably should be as well, but who the fuck knows how the voters are going to vote on a wide receiver.  Of the other finalists, I could see Jared Allen getting in, but I'm not sure he'd get on the first ballot with the rest of the players on the list. 

Who I would vote for:

Peyton Manning:  There aren't 5 quarterbacks in the history of earth better than him.  You can put him anywhere from 1-5 all time, but you put him under that on your list I'm going to look at you funny.

Charles Woodson:  The most consistently impactful defensive backs of my lifetime.  Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Charles Woodson.  Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, and Charles Woodson are the only three who were hall of fame level at both cornerback and safety.

Tony Boselli:  I don't know why he isn't in the hall of fame already.  Tony Boselli may be the greatest left tackle of all time, and that's not hyperbole, he was legitimately that good.  I'd really like to hear the arguments against him, because I don't think I could come up with one.

Clay Matthews:  Clay Matthews was the best player on a team that went to 3 AFC Championship games in 4 years.  This is a sentimental pick, but I truly think he deserves it.

There are 27 defensive backs on the list who I think are hall of fame worthy, but I think Ronde Barber is the best of them.  Seriously, the crazy thing about that defense is that Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and Ronde Barber are as good as anyone ever at their positions and then you realize that John Lynch, Simeon Rice, and Booger McFarland would have been the best player on about 75% of the defenses in the league.  

Alan Faneca:  Replace the name Tony Boselli with Alan Faneca and replace tackle with guard, and my argument is exactly the same.  The only real difference is that Larry Allen exists so I can't really argue that Alan Faneca is best all time. 

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

When I saw the finalists, my first thought was "Clay Matthews isn't in already?"  My second thought was "wait, Steve Tasker seriously made the semifinals?!?"

At least Tasker was one of the best in his narrow position.   You seriously need to explain to me Patrick Willis on the list

And Willie Anderson the Rams WR from the late 80s?  If that is the same guy Henry Ellard is way more qualified 

Edited by hammerva

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

At least Tasker was one of the best in his narrow position.   You seriously need to explain to me Patrick Willis on the list

And Willie Anderson the Rams WR from the late 80s?  If that is the same guy Henry Ellard is way more qualified 

Patrick Willis was the best linebacker in the league for a little bit.  He retired early, so he doesn't have longevity but I thought he would be a lock if he put the time in.  Now, he's a maybe.  I'm pretty sure that Willie Anderson is the Bengals tackle, who was arguably the best tackle in the league in the early 2000s.  Steve Tasker was really good in kick coverage, but that's about it.  That isn't hall of fame worthy to me.  Being the best special teamer of all time is like being the best kindergartner of all time.  That's quite the accomplishment for you, but you're still just finger painting and learning your ABC's.  You don't get to enter the conversation with the best PhDs of all time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Forgot about the Bengals lineman.  Yeah he has a good chance although not first or even second ballot 

Yeah, I think he's deserving, but you can't put him in before Boselli.  

Overall, I think the Pro Football Hall of Fame is the most prestigious of all the hall of fames at this point.  Baseball is shooting themselves in the foot with the steroid issue.  Basketball let's anyone whoever scored more than 20 in a game in their hall of fame.  Football actually seems to think about who does and does not belong and gets it right most of the time.  There really isn't anyone in the hall of fame that I don't understand how they got there.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1