DVDVR Message Board

CFL 2021 Season (or possibly not)

Pete

The-Boat-Is-Back_Background_TW.jpg

Pull Together, bitches!

The Toronto Argonauts announced today they will be bringing back the famous boat logo, but with a modern twist, as their new primary logo. The current shield logo will still be used selectively as a secondary mark moving forward.

“We are so excited to bring back a logo that is beloved by so many Toronto Argonauts fans,” said Argos General Manager Michael “Pinball” Clemons. “This contemporary redesign of one of our most iconic emblems reinforces the great tradition of the Argonauts while continuously steering towards the horizon and our future. The boat is back, and our passion lives on!”

The original boat logo was used from 1976 to 1988 and is one of the most popular logos among fans and players alike, the team has ever worn. It brings back memories of Condredge Holloway, Terry Greer, Cedric Minter, Joe Barnes, Carl Brazley and a 1983 Grey Cup championship team that snapped a 31-year title drought, cementing the legendary logo forever in Argos lore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Scott Milanovich is out as Edmonton's head coach before he even coached a game. Apparently something has opened up in the NFL for him.

I can't say I blame him, with things the way they are. Get your money, I guess. But man, I can't shake the feeling this makes us look so rinky-dink.

23 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The Argos released Matt Nichols. This is almost 100% a money thing as he had a big bonus coming up.

Nichols has already signed with the Redblacks

Also...

The Toronto Argos have made a big splash.

The team has acquired the rights to wide receiver Eric Rogers, defensive end Cordarro Law, and defensive back Robertson Daniel from the Calgary Stampeders in exchange for Canadian and Global draft picks, the Argos announced on Sunday. 

By acquiring the rights to Rogers, Toronto can now sign the wideout before he becomes a free agent on Feb. 9.

Elk will win by a mile. Eagles isn't bad but comes with NFL connotations which is unfortunate. Lions vs Eagles will just be dumb memes. I don't actually hate Evergreens, but man. That's not much of a "well I could tolerate it" choice.

The rest of them are absolutely The Abyss tier. Some of these options are so bad it feels like they're trying to rig it towards the one they actually want.

I still don't really get why they went away from Empire, which they were obviously angling for to be the new name for several years worth of local marketing. 

• 4 weeks later...

The ESPN story

The XFL and the CFL are discussing options for collaboration as they plan their return to the field following the COVID-19 pandemic, representatives of both leagues confirmed Wednesday.

Statements released by CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie and XFL chairwoman/owner Dany Garcia did not reference the possibility of a merger. They indicated that talks are in very early stages but offered no boundaries on the depth of the potential partnership.

"We look forward to seeing what possibilities our discussions might uncover, and to sharing those with our fans as the process unfolds," Ambrosie said in part.

As the discussions continue, planning for the XFL's 2022 season is on pause pending the outcome of conversations with the CFL, according to XFL president and CEO Jeffrey Pollack on Wednesday.

"Since we first acquired the XFL, we have focused on identifying partners who share our vision and values on and off the field," Garcia said. "A vision filled with opportunity, innovation and the highest level of entertainment value for the benefit of our athletes, fans and communities. The CFL has expressed that similar sentiment and jointly we recognize a great opportunity to build exciting innovative football experiences that make the most of each league's unique strengths."

The statements largely framed the discussions in the terms of their innovative histories, and indeed both leagues feature significant variations from the conventional format used in the NFL and U.S.-based college football. In addition, Garcia has spoken previously about making the XFL a global brand.

But the CFL in particular was hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and might find a financial advantage to shared resources. The CFL canceled its 2020 season after failing to secure $30 million in aid from the Canadian government. It has announced a full 2021 schedule that would begin with preseason games in late May, but it is unclear how the ongoing pandemic will impact attendance at games, which accounts for the league's primary revenue stream.

The XFL canceled its 2020 season after five weeks of games and was put into bankruptcy proceedings by former owner Vince McMahon. Garcia and fellow owners Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital Partners paid $15 million for the league last summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...