DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

AEW has sure done a great job of elevating the NWA Women’s title. I think it’s been featured on Dynamite more than the AEW women’s title and the matches for it have definitely been better.

For real, I think the NWA Women's TItle is probably more prestigeous than the AEW one at this point. Since she won the title, aside from the PPV match with Thunder Rosa, has Shida had any notable matches? She sure as hell hasn't had any meaningful programs or feuds for the title. 

So far, here's what I'm thinking is the lineup for the 12/2 Dynamite

Moxley vs Omega

Triangulo de la Muerte vs. Kingston/Blade/Bunkhouse Butch

Serena Deeb/Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker/Reba

Darby/Cody/Dustin vs. Cage/Starks/Hobbs

Despite the big difference in viewership, I hope people went back to NXT to check out Io vs Rhea. Like, Rosa vs Deeb was good, but neither of them hold a candle to Io or Rhea. Then again, I also think Io and Rhea are the two future huge draws WWE has left that they haven't totally burned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Godfrey said:

It's only one match and he went down to a super move but yeah, it's not a great way to kick off Darby's reign, and especially not as the Face of TNT. 

It's more than just one match; it's a milestone.   It's his first match on television as the TNT Champion and it's also a main event.

Bryan said it best on Page One.  If you're not going to protect your new champion in his inaugural match on television, you probably shouldn't have put the title on him.

You could've just as easily ended that match with Taz getting his team DQed for pushing Darby off of the top rope as he was going for the Coffin Drop on either Starks or Cage.  Face team wins, Team Taz goes in for the beatdown, Hobbs runs in to make the save and then belt shot on Cody or Darby cementing the heel turn.  The booking ain't that hard.

Darby didn't have to eat the losing pin on his first night on television as the TNT champ.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's more than just one match; it's a milestone.   It's his first match on television as the TNT Champion and it's also a main event.

Bryan said it best on Page One.  If you're not going to protect your new champion in his inaugural match on television, you probably shouldn't have put the title on him.

You could've just as easily ended that match with Taz getting his team DQed for pushing Darby off of the top rope as he was going for the Coffin Drop on either Starks or Cage.  Face team wins, Team Taz goes in for the beatdown, Hobbs runs in to make the save and then belt shot on Cody or Darby cementing the heel turn.  The booking ain't that hard.

Darby didn't have to eat the losing pin on his first night on television as the TNT champ.

I mostly brought up the point to dismiss it, I agree with you.

Darby needs to be established as a star, eking out a win over Cody and then getting pinned clean in his first appearance on TNT as TNT champ isn't the way to do it. Cody didn't lose in tag matches when he was champ and while Darby shouldn't be booked the same way as Cody, he should at least get a chance to look strong after getting beat down for so long. It's all very WWE.

• Like 1

Ugh.  I rewatched the Top Flight-YB match last night and spent half the match saying to myself "D'von's kids don't look or wrestle anything like I thought they would." Halfway through the match, I finally reached for my ipad and googled them - only to realize I'm confusing Top Flight with TNT (the team that wrestled on Dark and are D'von Dudleys kids).

Sometimes, I am dumb.  

On the positive side, I liked Top Flight a good deal.  They remind me a little too much of Private Party, but I'd be fine with giving them all of Private Party's tv time, so it's not an issue,

• Haha 2

Darby eating the fall in the tag match to set up a future title match is very much New Japan booking (generally very good, though a bit off the rails in 2020). I think that New Japan relies on it as a crutch a bit too much, but it's still not the worst thing in the world. And far better then the WWE crutch of losing in singles non-title matches to set up the title match. 

Also, I would be STUNNED if Hangman attacked Mox, as AEW would not do something that stupid (too many people have WWE booking scar tissue there). Do not think that it was the Bucks either. Think it was Omega himself, if not then agree with FTR thought.

• Like 6

One thing everyone seems to be missing here, not all characters are the same. You don't book John Cena like you book Rey Mysterio and vice versa.

Darby should not be this unbeatable undefeated super athlete. That doesn't jive with his look or his gimmick. For him to remain a feisty never say die underdog, he has to lose some. You can't book Darby like Omega or Moxley, because then he's not an underdog anymore. And that wont jive with how the structure of the matches he works will be laid out.

Now I'm not arguing the sentiment here tho, it was probably short sighted to make his first time out as champion a loss. But it's not that big of a deal. Because he's not someone that should be dominant. He also took a top rope version of a top of the card main event heel's finisher. So it was a loss, but a protected one. Building up to him beating a near unbeaten Cage is going to help him more than just randomly beating Cage during a tag match that means nothing.

• Like 9

Thank you for the last two posts. It's sad then when I was watching the main event I was thinking about shit like, "what's the board going to say when Cody got his entrance after Darby's" or "the board is for sure going to bitch about Darby dropping the pinfall." Look, Darby isn't unbeatable. The point to Darby is that he gets beat, but can't be killed. He'll keep coming back again and again and again. Darby doesn't lose anything by dropping the fall to Cage. If anything, it now builds to Cage vs Darby, along the way you can create tension between Cage and Starks, it becomes hard to predict a winner between Cage and Darby, and if Darby wins, he looks strong by beating Cage.

As for Top Flight, whoever said that they have it more put together than Private Party has it 100% right. No disrespect to Private Party, but I just think they're a miss at this point. Neither guy has shown a lot of growth in the last year and if anything, they look slightly sloppier. There's no excuse that Marquen should be as gassed as the Butcher in these matches. I think on the entire AEW roster, his lack of cardio is the most surprising. He reminds me of some UFC guys that have incredible bodies or are amazing athletes that have no gas tank.

Top Flight does nearly everything better than Private Party. The only thing they're lacking are characters, but they're also both essentially rookies.

The women's division in AEW is perplexing. The NWA women's title feels more important than the AEW women's title. I have no idea what kind of deal Corgan has with TK, but if it's possible, I would just move towards doing Shida vs Deeb for the unified women's title and let the winner carry around two belts. Then if NWA ever gets going again, let AEW women appear on their show and vice versa.

Finally, and this is getting into the territory where this belongs in the general AEW thread, but it's time to get rid of the FTW belt and introduce six man belts. Just quietly get rid of the FTW title. No one would even notice if it disappeared. It's a stupid prop. Meanwhile, you have a huge wealth of trios in AEW that a six man title would make a ton of sense. AEW loves a tournament, 6 man titles give them another reason to do a tournament, and hey, it could finally give the Butcher and the Blade something to fight for (even though they're jobbers and always have been).

• Like 2

Trios belts always sound like a good idea in theory, but nobody besides Dragongate has ever really been able to make that work.  NJPW’s booking style is set up perfectly to showcase a Trios title, and even they have struggled to make those belts relevant and meaningful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, if anything, make that FTW title disappear. It's confusing and holds little meaning.

Disagree. It's not confusing at all and means a great deal. It means someone knows Cage needs something extra to really click, and it means they have no idea what that something is. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

AEW don’t do DQ’s

Yes, and this is a major problem. Your promotion is not going to turn into '80s AJ just because you have an occasional DQ or DDQ. Even in a main event. Disqualifications are an inherent part of wrestling so stop trying to deny it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yes, and this is a major problem. Your promotion is not going to turn into '80s AJ just because you have an occasional DQ or DDQ. Even in a main event. Disqualifications are an inherent part of wrestling so stop trying to deny it. 

no, you!