DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

A victory lap match outside of the angle may have been the most appropriate action. Like have him beat Spears or another midcarder and save this angle for next week.

I agree with this if only because it means that Spears finally takes an L on television and Darby gets to record a few more wins as befitting a guy who now holds a major title in the company.

Spears has quietly put together quite the win streak, much to my horror and this is coming from a guy who is a huge mark for loaded Blackjack Mulligan fingerless glove gimmicks and illegal pointy-toe boot chicanery.

When Spears started using the loaded glove gimmick, I could almost swear that either he or Tully had been secretly lurking the board and came across DEAN and I discussing our favorite International Object spots in the Wrestling On The Internet From Not In The Now thread.  They are trying to book Spears so that I will like him and I refuse to take the bait.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Signing Top Flight and putting them on TV this early is certainly a choice.  Feels like a reaction to losing out on the Ben Carter sweepstakes.  Their upside is incredible, but they’re still putting things together in the ring.  Very Private Party-esque. They tend to look awesome when they’re in there with veterans who can hold things together like the Bucks, but it gets really dicey when they’re in with less experienced guys.  Their MCMGs-on-speed act works best against guys who’ve worked the real thing.

I guess the good news for their development is that there are probably more veteran teams to learn from in AEW than there are left on the entire Independent scene right now.

37 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I agree with this if only because it means that Spears finally takes an L on television and Darby gets to record a few more wins as befitting a guy who now holds a major title in the company.

Spears has quietly put together quite the win streak, much to my horror and this is coming from a guy who is a huge mark for loaded Blackjack Mulligan fingerless glove gimmicks and illegal pointy-toe boot chicanery.

Right, you can justify the match with Spears' win-loss record and sacrifice it for Darby's benefit since he's the one that has value.

41 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I tuned in at 8:02 and the vignette was playing but I didn’t see any Airwolf just the brothers unmasked flying through the air. What I really remember about the vignette was that empty ass gym they were in and that it seemed like they were doing their craziest shit in front of nobody.

Those were clips from The Collective weekend in Indiana. It was empty because it was socially distanced.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Those were clips from The Collective weekend in Indiana. It was empty because it was socially distanced.

Makes sense then. They were cool though, i'd like to see them stick around and it looks like they are gonna be doing something with The Hybrid.

I'm really impressed with Top Flight.  I've seen them before in BLP but their poise on national TV was so impressive.  And Meltzer made a great point: the Bucks can really carry a team that can at least meet them halfway from an athletic standpoint.  What a great match.  That nearfall at the end got me.  And good to see they may be sticking around, with that postmatch H2 angle.

Great women's match but what is the point of doing all this NWA stuff instead of working on building up their own division?  Shida is such an afterthought right now.  "Oh, better have someone do a promo challenging her real quick."  What the hell?  I wonder if Corgan is paying for the airtime.  That's the only possible explanation.

QT school graduate (so friend of Cody by association) Jade gets high profile segments two weeks in a row while Shida is on a milk carton.

Best match I've seen Kip Sabian in!  

WHO SHOT MOX?

JR asked if the members of Heels have bake sales.  For fuck's sake.  I can't even muster the energy to properly criticize this useless asshole anymore.  OH, and he mentioned that Ricky Starks is either filling out or needs to fill out.  God damn it.

Speaking of commentary, Ross called Cody the "ace" and Excalibur asked how he could be the ace if he lost the belt.  I would have loved to hear the answer but Tony jumped in calling the match and we never heard back.  On that same note, they really need to go with a two man booth with defined roles.  Three men with rotating roles, and then adding another person here and there, is making commentary a real mess.

LOOOOL Cody gets intro'd after the TNT champ and doesn't have to eat the pin.  Cody gonna Cody.  Your essay topic is either "Cody is the HHH of AEW" or "Cody is the Jeff Jarrett of AEW."  Work is due next Wednesday.

Dressing like a fancy lad, smoking cigars, and cutting promos from your wine cellar are not babyface moves.  Dusty Rhodes ain't had no wine cellar.

Ortiz lifting 1st thing in the morning was tremendous.  

EVIL WILL HOBBS!

I hope Death Triangle reuniting and Kingston staying with Butcher and Blade elevates B&B, rather than lowering Eddie to B&B's JTTS level.

I like when AEW mentions things outside AEW, like repeated mentions of the Motor City Machine Guns.  Because this is not some bullshit self contained universe where nothing else exists.  It makes AEW come off like a sport.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

I really don't get the Death Triangle thing.

The original incarnation lasted two weeks before Covid messed it up.

The Lucha Bros have been with Kingston longer than they ever were in the Triangle by far. 

You've now stacked the odds against the heel as Kingston is left with the two job guys who can't beat anyone. Pac is now in the position of power which really will limit the heels' ability order to build heat. Rather than Pac having to go through 4 guys to get to Eddie (which is the goal as far as I am concerned), he's more than evened the odds and the ending is not in doubt. You also don't get Pac vs. Lucha Bro matches which would be worth watching at least. You could even put the Triangle back together as part of the match progression as the angle evolves rather than inventing this super close bond they haven't earned.

• Like 4

@Technico SupportThanks for mentioning the JR stuff.

I liked the show a lot.  The opener was bananas and the women's match was some awesome, awesome stuff.  I would think the Inner Circle stuff will be divisive but I was amused enough by it.  My favorite part might be Wardlow and Hager one-upping each other with the fools they were beating up.  And even Sammy next day pointing out MJF's face was their way of showing there's still tension.  Good stuff.  I think with Jericho announcing next week's tag they may be  done with the comedy for awhile.  At least I'm hoping.

Since @Goodearjust mentioned Death Triangle I for one am glad they're back.  Pac always struck me as somebody a little south of sanity who would be pals with Lucha Bros.  But I have faith in them delivering the reasons as so far the stuff with Kingston's been logical and had promos to flesh things out.  I still wish they had this go another week or so for everything to pan out.  But I'm guessing that they're going to do a match for "Winter is Coming" and had to rush things more than they would like to.  Still works for me.

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOL Cody gets intro'd after the TNT champ and doesn't have to eat the pin.  Cody gonna Cody.  Your essay topic is either "Cody is the HHH of AEW" or "Cody is the Jeff Jarrett of AEW."  Work is due next Wednesday.

I still do not get why Cody got to spend weeks elevating indie talent via the TNT championship while poor Darby eats a fucking Avalanche Drillclaw AND the losing pin on his first night on television after winning the fucking belt.

Mr. Brodie Lee got arguably better treatment during his TNT title run, brief though it was.  Hell, Brodie got to spend some TNT championship loot on wine, women, and fine Kubota riding lawnmowers.

15 minutes ago, Goodear said:

You've now stacked the odds against the heel as Kingston is left with the two job guys who can't beat anyone. Pac is now in the position of power which really will limit the heels' ability order to build heat. Rather than Pac having to go through 4 guys to get to Eddie (which is the goal as far as I am concerned), he's more than evened the odds and the ending is not in doubt. You also don't get Pac vs. Lucha Bro matches which would be worth watching at least. You could even put the Triangle back together as part of the match progression as the angle evolves rather than inventing this super close bond they haven't earned.

Yeah, this feud only works if you plan to elevate B&B above JTTS status or at least give them a bit of a push, which I don't think is likely to happen.  Right now, Death Triangle is looking like the more talented of the two stables in this feud.

God bless The Butcher for vacating this mortal coil on cue when Pac hit him with that superkick right before the finish.  He was killed dead.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I really don't get the Death Triangle thing.

The original incarnation lasted two weeks before Covid messed it up.

The Lucha Bros have been with Kingston longer than they ever were in the Triangle by far. 

It's quality, not quantity, my man.  I bet Pac was super cool to the Lucha Bros in those two weeks, getting them gifts, calling to check in, sending them cards, taking them to nice restaurants, showing interest in the things that are meaningful to them, all that.  Meanwhile, Eddie probably took them to McDonald's if he had coupons and probably only called when he needed to borrow money or needed help moving.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I still do not get why Cody got to spend weeks elevating indie talent via the TNT championship while poor Darby eats a fucking Avalanche Drillclaw AND the losing pin on his first night on television after winning the fucking belt.

You forgot to put "elevating" in quotes.  Kenny beating Sonny Kiss in 5 seconds, then insincerely raising Sonny's hand and hugging him was such a fun piss take on Cody's "elevation" of the guys he got to beat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You forgot to put "elevating" in quotes.  Kenny beating Sonny Kiss in 5 seconds, then insincerely raising Sonny's hand and hugging him was such a fun piss take on Cody's "elevation" of the guys he got to beat.

I kinda give that a pass because I believe that Kiss was paying Joey Janella's penance and that embarrassment squash was originally meant for Joey.

Kiss had to play the cards initially dealt to Janella because the book had to stick to the time allotted in the card for that match.

Edited by J.T.

I mean, Eddie was openly shitty to Fenix and was playing both brothers against each other, to the point that that they had a really nasty, mask-ripping match against each other.  Being a friend of Eddie Kingston wasn’t really going well for them.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I kinda give that a pass because I believe that Kiss was paying Joey Janella's penance and that embarrassment squash was originally meant for Joey.

Kiss had to play the cards initially dealt to Janella because the book had to stick to the time allotted in the card for that match.

Commentary tried hard to cover for it, too.  Really put over that Sonny got the match just a couple hours before show time and wasn’t able to adequately prepare.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, it's FTR that attacked Moxley, right? 

Anyway, really good show as always.

I didn't think it might be FTR that took out Mox. That would really give some credence to the theory that Omega is forming a Horsemen esq stable with them and Tully...and I guess Shawn Spears. I like Spears, but he really would be a Paul Roma in that group.

The theory that Hangman did it to win back favor with Omega is a good one too. Kenny being fully Cleaner Kenny and Hangman at first being reluctant to be this heel that he used to be would be fun stuff.

What exactly is full Cleaner? I know people have been talking about it for a while but I'm not sure what exactly it means other than being a heel and having brooms around.

• Like 1

Are Butcher/Blade/Bunny the least jobbery looking JTTS's in modern history? Their presentation and look screams top talent, yet they never win.

Like I can't think of a Virgil/Sal Sincere/Jerry Flynn/Roadblock type that was actually packaged/presented to this degree of quality. Glacier was a way bigger threat.

#FreeBBB

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

JR asked if the members of Heels have bake sales.  For fuck's sake.  I can't even muster the energy to properly criticize this useless asshole anymore. 

I recorded some of a replay purely to check out the women's match after seeing it spoken so highly of here, and that was the first damn thing I heard when I got to said match. Is this a norm for JR?

12 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What exactly is full Cleaner? I know people have been talking about it for a while but I'm not sure what exactly it means other than being a heel and having brooms around.

Not sure if serious? lol

A cleaner is a hitman. When people say go full cleaner they want him to go back to his full on heel gimmick when he was the hitman for the Bullet Club. Dark shades, leather jackets, jet black dyed hair (that part isnt gonna happen), more serious and shit. He's kinda been this aww shucks silly babyface in AEW. Still presented as a threat in the ring obviously, but people want his more focused New Japan presentation.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, EVA said:

I mean, Eddie was openly shitty to Fenix and was playing both brothers against each other, to the point that that they had a really nasty, mask-ripping match against each other.  Being a friend of Eddie Kingston wasn’t really going well for them.

I think they also skipped a step getting to that match. I don't think Kingston had done enough to sabotage the brothers' relationship on TV to get them to the point where THAT match was coming out of a slightly-heated tournament match from a couple weeks prior. The mask-ripping and bitterness could have been kicked down the line once they'd fleshed things out some more. So I didn't even feel like last week's chapter in this story was wholly earned. 

And after all that, I'm supposed to just buy that they're cool again and Penta is just turning his back on his good friend? (I won't call Eddie his best friend, because that's Eddie's story.) For Pac and a brother he's willing to rip the mask off of and treat like a piece of garbage? And when him walking out with a chair and not swinging looks so similar to the Will Hobbs angle? I'm not sure I completely trust that Penta won't be turning again in a couple weeks. 

They have all the right ingredients for this feud, but it's not quite clicking for me yet. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2