DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

One thing people seem to keep missing when they want Butcher and Blade to get pushed is that Butcher is in Every Time I Die, one of if not the best band on the planet, and as soon as society starts opening up again they'll hopefully release the new album they've had on the backburner for a year and tour the shit out of it for the next two.

And also that his tank is completely empty after about 5 minutes. I love the guy's look, he's pro-wres 'AF', but he barely even goes up for anything. 

They need to sort the arena echo in the backstage interviews, I shouldn't be skipping past Moxley promos because they're annoyingly incomprehensible

The thing for me with Cody's entrance is whenever it gets to the "my father said when I was younger" bit I just desperately want a jumpcut to "HE GOT A BICYCLE"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I was thinking that they'll probably get alot few NBA crossovers the Bucks are Die hard Lakers fans and Legends like Dominique Wilkins and Barkley are huge wrestling fans. Giannis and Dwight Howard have expressed interest in actively participating in Wrestling at some point. AEW do a better job than WWE with non wrestlers anyway. TNT seem to be invested AEW so why not. Shaq isn't as big of a deal as he would've been a decade ago but he's still a big name and a big part of TNT and he's a genuine wrestling fan like Tyson is. As long as they don't start bringing in guys that aren't fans and aren't enthusiastic like WWE has don't alot im fine with it

I mean this with all my heart but if Giannis did anything wrestling-related my parents would never say a bad thing about wrestling ever again.  It's a Greek thing I guess.

And I also want it because it would mean Lawful would have an amusing post about how Harden doesn't need wrestling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

(Hogan Feud Era) Shawn Michaels looks at modern NBA flopping play and thinks to himself, "That's just ridiculousLY AWESOME!!!!"

FTFY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

One thing about NBA players, we know they can sell.

There is a job waiting for James Harden at the Monster Factory once he's done with the NBA.  No one takes better NBA bumps than him.

He flops like he's taken judo lessons before.  His ukemi is far better than mine.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, Burgundy LaRue said:

Brandi's promo came across as what someone thinks a 'sassy' Black woman sounds like when arguing. There are some Black women who do. But I'll venture to say Brandi Rhodes doesn't fall into that category, hence the code switching.

I saw way too many White fans say Brandi went 'hood.' As if they or Brandi have a clue about that. They're going to the lowest common denominator based on ignorance and dumb perception.

That's the problem. It's largely a stereotype for Black women. Loud. Cursing. Angry. Threatening to be violent. With so few Black women in high-profile positions in wrestling, it can cause Black women performers to be even more marginalized among certain fanbases. I can almost guarantee that Jade will get 'ratchet' catcalls from this.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like, because no group is a monolith. But seeing this happen repeatedly in all forms of entertainment is frustrating, to say the least. 

I didn't have that much of a problem with Brandi's face cracking, but I understand the negative connotations. 

I want to give Brandi the benefit of the doubt because Jade really triggered the situation, so a reasonable person would conclude that Brandi was just coming out to check Jade for getting in her husband's grill as Cody is too much of a gentleman to clap back at a woman.

Even if that woman is Jade fucking Cargill who is ridiculously fit and legit diesel.

How Shaq factors into this, we will have to wait and see.

That being said, yeah, black girls aren't really allowed to express outrage or get angry on television shows without embracing the stereotype that they are all inherently batshit insane powder kegs.  I think that's the real thing that needs to be addressed.

Meanwhile, if a black dude loses his shit like that it's because society just won't let us be civil, so we have to become violent whirlwinds of righteous fury in order to get respect.  We get something of a benefit due to horrible gender double standards. 

See also - "Y'all Gonna Make Me Lose My Mind" - DMX / "Lapdance" - N*E*R*D

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I mean this with all my heart but if Giannis did anything wrestling-related my parents would never say a bad thing about wrestling ever again.  It's a Greek thing I guess.

Same here. Yia Yia would never ask me again why I still watch wrestling.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 7:32 PM, Jiji said:

Brandi speaking in Ebonics for the first time ever was cringe even if her delivery was good/funny. Jade Cargill's promo was a bad WWE promo but never mind that shit. She looks amazing. I'm assuming she's a total project in terms of wrestling because I've never even heard of her and if she could work and looks like that then she'd be all over the place. 

The booking on this show was not particularly good for reasons already mentioned. Spears and Marshall should rarely wrestle on Dynamite and if they do they should lose decisively. There's no future for either of them and it's a waste of fucking time. I know Butcher is old but at least I could see him being a solid midcard/gatekeeper monster heel for 3-5 years. And that wasn't it. 

The roster is full of talented guys. I feel like we're at the point where either they need to start cutting some of the deadweight or get that second TV show going. 

The Brandi segment when she started calling Jade a Ratchet kinda reminded me that SNL skit about White people finding out Beyonce was black after the superbowl.

As for the second show; Dynamite has too many lead announcers and too many people on commentary in general. I'd move JR off Dynamite and on too the second show. And Eddie Kingston would make a great semi-heel color man

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, For Great Justice said:

Really short sample size but I dunno man, do they? I’d put what WWE is doing now with McAfee or the initial Rousey stuff above anything AEW has done, but honestly I can only think of Tyson.

Back when the did the Guest GM bit on Raw you could tell which celebs "got" wrestling and which didn't. I think thats the trick. get people who are allready fans

53 minutes ago, zendragon said:

As for the second show; Dynamite has too many lead announcers and too many people on commentary in general. I'd move JR off Dynamite and on too the second show. And Eddie Kingston would make a great semi-heel color man

I am so interested in how this second show is presented and it's format. Moving JR to the new show for the "star power" rub is a great idea but he would need the right partner(s). I think rotating Taz and Jericho to team with JR would be great in a 1 hour format.

• Like 1