DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Eh, I don't know, Cargill was saying some shit about Cody's junk and seemed to also be coming onto him at times before saying Shaq would be coming after Cody.

LOL I forgot she insulted his dick.  Cody vs Shaq, dick measuring contest, with Virgil as special ref.  Lanny Poffo as timekeeper.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL I forgot she insulted his dick.  Cody vs Shaq, dick measuring contest, with Virgil as special ref.  Lanny Poffo as timekeeper.

Robert Fuller - the entire Athletic Commission.

main-qimg-f2e2d07c500e5ef51efda4f4ca4588

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was completely expecting it, since they played the video last week, but I still marked out when THE BASTARD~! returned. Triangulo de la Muerte vs. King/Blade/Bunkhouse Butch makes perfect sense right now that the Allie storyline with looks like it's wrapped up and King is done with Mox. I kind of wish they'd gone the other way and had Pac return and the Lucha Bros turn on King, and let him cut babyface promos about Pentagon being his best friend.

Was the Conti match as bad as the last couple minutes looked?  I randomly flipped by and caught the end of the match and it just seemed like they were flailing out there.  Commentary said something about Conti being out of it and I started wondering if she was genuinely concussed.  Then there was the low dropkick to the side of the head which seemingly connected and sold by commentary only for Conti to pop right up like it missed.  

Only caught two segments and read the spoilers, so I can't judge the show, but.... not for me, I think.  I guess Kingston's faction is splitting up already?  They seemed like they were turning on Fenix last night, so I'm assuming Fenx is now a babyface?  Pac too?

Kinda hoping the Jericho angle has eveyone else turning on Jericho and joining MJF.  Not really into the idea of any of those guys as babyfaces.

I wonder if the Shaquille stuff is really going anywhere.  Shaq's 48 and doesn't look in anything resembling ring shape to me.  I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I was under the impression he has health issues.

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I wonder if the Shaquille stuff is really going anywhere.  Shaq's 48 and doesn't look in anything resembling ring shape to me.  I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I was under the impression he has health issues.

I'm thinking it'll be the same thing as the Mike Tyson deal. He'll make a one-off appearance, and it'll transition into Cody feuding with some other heel.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Insert thing about slapping meat here

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Look, I have no idea about Cody's masculine prowess, if I were him I would not be caught dead in a dick measuring contest of any sort with that crew around, especially with the other guys suggested ( 2 Cold and Parker). I don't care how hung he may be, he'd look ridiculous in comparison. I doubt his ego could take it, I'm sure mine couldn't!

• Haha 2

The more I think about it the more I hate the Cody segment.  With what was said I just have a hard time believing it justified Brandi coming out like that when she's never done that before.  Being annoyed and a smartass about it?  Sure.  But while I don't hang out at bars where stuff like this happens there was no reason for this to happen.  I'm not kidding that they were going for the Jerry Springer dynamic and we were so puzzled by it all.  Then there's @Burgundy LaRueclarifying what I feared and it made it that much worse.

EDIT:  So I just watched it again to see if maybe I was out to lunch.  Thankfully I wasn't as I can safely say there was no reason for Brandi's reaction.  What was being done reminded me of what  Catrina from Lucha Underground would do.  It was a power move and nothing more.  Now if Cody gave in in some way then maybe I can see what they were going for.  But he seemed rather uninterested and at one point looked at his watch.  So it was all the more worse because Brandi's reaction was so unnatural and fake that it led to a big disconnect with what was going on.  Just an awful, awful use of 5 minutes.

So going forward it's best that they pretend that this segment never happened.  Only thing worth salvaging is the part where Shaq was announced and that's about it.  I'm sure things will build from here in a way that hopefully makes sense in some way.  But this was the worst way to do it and not to pile on but is something that I'd expect from WWE instead of AEW.

Aside from that like mentioned before the rest of the show was pretty good.  I enjoyed the Bunkhouse Brawl a ton and Pac returning was nice.  I do think we needed another week before Eddie went all "Fuck Fenix" even with that one backstage segment where he put Penta in the semifinals.  But I'll assume they're on some kind of time crunch so they can build for whatever match.  And while I don't care for Cage at this time I though Sydal looked great.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

The Cody promo and fallout was pretty lame. Jade should not have been given a live mic with that much to say, short and to the point would have been much better. Brandi talking like she was suddenly on P-Valley was weird too. Just a real stinker of a segment to set up something I have no interest in seeing. Presumably Cargill is a project of theirs, she's certainly striking as she drew the eye even when she was in the audience, she literally stands out in a crowd.

Speaking of Cody, the new intro is alright, I prefer the multicolored look more as it set them apart from the monochrome WWE brands. The intro ends with all the champions holding up there belts except Darby, who is being held up by Cody. That's some quality heel trolling.

• Thanks 1

I forgot all about MJF's line about how he became a success all by himself, with just a small loan of a million dollars from his father.  Everybody knows that's a line a true, dirtbag, loser heel uses.  I mean a really horrible, bad person with no redeeming qualities, ya know?

• Like 8

Jokes aside. I’m all for Shaq vs Cody. If it’s terrible, it’ll lead to me joking with you guys in here. If it’s a good segment-match, I’ll be pumped up from it. Win-win in my book as a viewer. I know my friend @Jiji will hate it, but I’m excited for the overly Cody moments with Shaq. Give Jade some reps on the mic and a few BTE segments to get more comfortable talking and hopefully when Shaquille comes she’ll be ready to be the mouth piece. 

Pac vs Kingston will be great. 

Bunkhouse was great and I don’t mind the outcome. I like the look of the Butcher and the Blade, but there are a plethora of teams that’ll be ripe for the Tag Title picture and if you wanted B&B in there in the future you could give them a win streak angle easily. They’ll still look scary and tough. Dustin (and QT because they’re a team) should keep winning and lose to the teams (or individual in Dustin’s singles) that they plan on pushing afterwards. If Butcher and the Blade are just going to chill and watch Eddie vs Pac, then them winning was a waste of what makes Dustin special. Maybe the next team to challenge for the titles will be Jurassic Express or Best Friends etc, that’s who Dustin should put over. Now if B&B challenge for the titles right away, then I’m dumb and all this was dumb. It’s tough saying the wrong team won when we don’t exactly know what is going to happen next. Same with the Spears vs Scorpio match. 

I feel that there are times you have to keep your staff happy and you come up with something for them to hold onto for morale. People brought up having The Gunn’s in the main a few eps ago and Dr Luther further back. Almost everyone on podcasts mentions how much Billy Gunn is helpful backstage. Put him and his son in the ever expanding Cody World Order and a random main to keep him happy and working and then shove him back into the front of the crowd for a few months. Dr Luther was all for Jericho, we haven’t seen him since but it was fun and different. 

I’m all for more in a series of Pentagon vs Fenix matches. Keep them coming. 

The Tay Conti not accepting the chair moment was interesting and I’m excited to see how that plays out. Maybe she’s not evil enough? 

I like the direction of Kenny vs Mox. AEW does a good job spacing out their feuds. Instead of doing this match right after their last, they let both characters grow and develop. I love subtle/not so subtle arrogant heel Omega. 

All in all, fun episode. I enjoyed it. 

• Like 3

Very small sample size, my wife liked the Brandi moment. She’s a black woman and it reminded us of when we were at home and she went off because my old job was being annoying. Also, I’m oblivious to when a gal might be flirting with me and she’ll let me know, lol. Saying that, my wife is a very shy quiet person and so unbelievably kind and my favorite person in the whole world. She came at it from a wife defending her husband. Clearly, it sounds like she’s an outlier. But maybe she connects with Brandi in being married to a big doofus like Cody but still loving him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

Not picking a dog in this fight since I really only pay attention to AEW via discussion here, but something people may want to keep in mind is Shaq pretty much chickened out on a match with the Big Show at Wrestlemania multiple times despite constantly talking about wanting to do it for years. Does AEW have him signed already to do a match for sure? 

Obvious troll is obvious. lol just kidding. Yeah I think he backed out because WWE was adamant he'd have to fully train like a full time wrestler for a few months and put all his time and effort into it. WWE can be pretty stubborn about doing things their way. I'm fairly certain AEW takes the opposite approach with him. Hey dude just show up and we'll work around any limitations you have. We'll put you with Cody, he can create motion around you and make it easier. No training requirements, just a match and a payday.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It takes a specific type of booking to make it work well. And AEW didn't set the bar very high for Shaq's arrival tonight.

Ah yes, let's not forget the gold standard of celebrity appearances, Mike Tyson in 1998. The first appearance of which had Mike Tyson in a sky box at The Royal Rumble talking about his favorite wrestler "Cold Stone". It was later on that he had that sweet pull apart. You'll get no argument out of me, that segment sucked ass last night. Jade's promo is one of the worst promos ever in wrestling. But that doesn't spell doom for the whole idea of it. Comparing PacMan Jones to Shaq is like comparing The Barbarian to The Rock (but they both have THE in their name!). Comparing TNA to AEW is also real dumb. AEW is profitable. AEW has professionals in a marketing capacity. AEW is connected to a national sports franchise. TNA was connected to a barn in Nashville with no professionals working PR.

I loved the Brandi promo. It's not my place to comment on code switching. I understand that complaint and would agree with anyone that feels that way. But I did like her coming out 0 to 60 tearing into Jade. That was the only fucking pulse that lame ass segment had lol.

• Like 2

For what it’s worth, my missus usually isn’t a big fan of Brandi, but I was surprised to see her really enjoying Brandi going off on one. 

Jade has a great look (sorry Technico), and if she’s a big project of Cody’s and AEW I’m interested to see what they can do with her. 

I can’t say I’m excited at the prospect of seeing Shaq wrestle. Though I’d rather see him wrestle Cody than Big Show. That would’ve been horrendous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Feel like this has been said every-other-week at this point, but AEW being in part the Rhodes' family vanity show does hold it back. Khan is clearly a mark, but whoever is booking this (if it is indeed him) comes across as unfathomably under their thumb. Not content with basically setting fire to Brodie Lee's act (that they spent a year crammed with cringe to finally build to something threatening/respectable), he now moves to another central program where Darby (who just won the title) makes the save as some sort of secondary accomplice. My god, does it never end. With the recent note of political aspirations, it seems clearer than ever its just a platform to plump his own ego & mainstream centrality. B&B needed to go over here too. Lame.

Otherwise, decent fun. Omega/Moxley should be good - hope they stretch this one out. Pac/Luchas v Kingston/S&O would be great, as mentioned. They need to pull whatever trigger there is on the MJF/Inner Cicle stuff soon too. One of their biggest weaknesses has been drawing stuff out that shouldn't be drawn out, then quickly dropping the ball when they have had something going (i.e. Lee). Get to the good stuff already.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3

Can we talk real quick about "WRESTLING HAS MORE THAN ONE ROYAL FAMILY?"  I find it so cringeworthy every time I hear it.  It's a clear shot at Vince and it's not even a clever one.  Cody is the divorced dad who makes a point of "accidentally" running into his ex maybe once a week to show off his new girlfriend and let her know he's totally loving his new life now and is definitely over her.

Besides, in what world is the Rhodes family a "royal family" of wrestling?  Dusty was a superstar, no doubt, but there are definitely points against him -- never the top guy in a national promotion, was garbage when he had the book, etc.  And his sons are career midcarders.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Very small sample size, my wife liked the Brandi moment. She’s a black woman and it reminded us of when we were at home and she went off because my old job was being annoying. Also, I’m oblivious to when a gal might be flirting with me and she’ll let me know, lol. Saying that, my wife is a very shy quiet person and so unbelievably kind and my favorite person in the whole world. She came at it from a wife defending her husband. Clearly, it sounds like she’s an outlier. But maybe she connects with Brandi in being married to a big doofus like Cody but still loving him.

This sounds awesome and you may indeed be onto something as far as her connecting to Brandi is concerned. Inquiring minds need to know, however: Do you have a neck tattoo? (Please tell us you don't have a neck-tattoo). Thanks.

• Haha 3

Interesting how one would think they dropped the ball on Brodie Lee when in fact he's just out with an injury. Also not much of a vanity project if your big vanity segment teasing a match against a celebrity occurs 18 minutes into the fucking show (not even opening the show, unlike someone who people like to compare him to). Also, the Cody/Jade thing barely went over 10 minutes - maybe 12 or something. ALSO, Darby saves the guy who is (presumably) teasing a match with a celebrity, and also continues his program with Team Taz due to that segment as well.

But, hey, if you think any of this is going to boost Cody's celebrity or that he's actually going to run for Governor of Georgia within the next decade... oh boy, you're going to be very disappointed.

EDIT: Oh, and I think the large majority of fans will say that they think the Dark Order turned a corner because of BTE, not anything that's happened on Dynamite. Perhaps the Nightmare Family beatdown, but they were already into "entertaining as fuck" territory well before that.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1