DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Jade Cargill is the Silver Surfer and Shaq is Galactus. Ever week I want Jade to announce Cody’s demise until the next PPV where Shaq devours Cody. I want Shaq to conquer the entire roster, one by one, until a hero arrives. That hero? Charles Barkley. Book it, Tony.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

It's the first time I saw her. I just creeped her Instagram and I don't want to be Hollywood Cibernetico'd so I will keep my opinions to myself lol

Too late!

Settle down, Hollywood Infinitetico!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tonight is when I came to the realization that I'm getting old.

I wished Dynamite was only 1 hour. I would have been very happy having the Bunkhouse Brawl being the main event with the Inner Circle going on either right before or closing it out. Good television that doesn't wear you out. 

On board with Pac vs Kingston. That is going to be the feud of the year if they don't rush it.

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Also, a little note for AEW:

4m2fhl.jpg

Tbh on a show where they have QT Marshall going over, and the Gunn Club winning the main event last week, I'm not sure an occasional win for Spears is such a crime.

And when I say occasional, no I am not referring to the parade of jobbers he has beaten on Dark. I think the only real people he has beaten this year are Billy (Gunn), Chris Daniels, Matt Sydal and now Scorpio Sky. He beat Will Hobbs back before he was signed, but so did everybody else. He's clearly somebody who they keep in the backpocket to do jobs. Basically, he can be any kind of heel you want him to be at any moment and that makes him a more useful utility player than some on the roster.

• Like 3

I don’t get the booking choice of putting Cody against Shaq when you can team them up, not split the crowd and keep Shaq out of the ring the majority of the time.

This is clearly a grab for mainstream audience who is not going to boo Shaq and you will just end up putting the new audience at odds with the old faithfuls. Which means the new people likely won’t stick around. Put the audiences together at the start and you don’t have this conflict.

Put Shaq and Cody against Team Taz and you do a lot more good. Shaq doesn’t get as exposed and doesn’t have to bump as much. Cody gets the mainstream rub off Shaq and can carry the action on his side. Cage gets to stand there looking like a threat and (assuming Shaq will bump at all) can get the moment of him suplexing Shaq that can be shown for the rest of his life. Starks sells the program through promos, takes awesome bumps for Shaq and can easily work off taking the fall at the end since he’s a stud. It’s wins all around.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Lost in all the Shaq talk...I really dug the new opening  and graphics. 

I'm glad you touched on this. Ill be honest: I hated em!! Red's just so overdone in wrestling. I liked the rotating colors a lot as something new/different. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I don’t get the booking choice of putting Cody against Shaq when you can team them up, not split the crowd and keep Shaq out of the ring the majority of the time.

This is clearly a grab for mainstream audience who is not going to boo Shaq and you will just end up putting the new audience at odds with the old faithfuls. Which means the new people likely won’t stick around. Put the audiences together at the start and you don’t have this conflict.

Put Shaq and Cody against Team Taz and you do a lot more good. Shaq doesn’t get as exposed and doesn’t have to bump as much. Cody gets the mainstream rub off Shaq and can carry the action on his side. Cage gets to stand there looking like a threat and (assuming Shaq will bump at all) can get the moment of him suplexing Shaq that can be shown for the rest of his life. Starks sells the program through promos, takes awesome bumps for Shaq and can easily work off taking the fall at the end since he’s a stud. It’s wins all around.

Shaq I believe is the one who "challenged" Cody when he was TNT Champion so I'd imagine that's the prime reasoning

• Like 1

Decent, easygoing post-PPV show.  No need to have the tops guys all working when there's some time to build for the next one.  Pretty much AEW's thing.

Moxley continues to be just amazing on promos.  God damn.

Butcher and Blade vs Natural Nightmares was so much fun.  Props to whoever called Williams "Bunkhouse Butch."  I do agree that the wrong team won since NN are at their ceiling as a JTTS team while I feel like B&B could be more.  It probably doesn't really matter right now.

LOLLLLLIN' at Darby's thumbtack blazer.  Need to get me one of those for when I can interview for jobs again.

Brian Cage catching Sydal in suplex position for the Screwdriver was nuts.  I've seen it before but it gets me every time.  He protected the fuck out of him, too, dropping it more like a Michinoku driver.  Starks continues to be tremendous on the mic.

I don't.  Know who Jade. 

Cargill is but. 

She needs to work. 

On her delivery so. 

She stops pausing. 

Every three or four. 

Words because she. 

Sounds like William. 

Fucking Shatner.

That segment was cringeworthy for so many reasons.  I was hoping Cody would bleed when he came out in his all white suit looking like Colonel Sanders.  If he's a KFC guy, that's another strike against him.  It's always wonderful when a "surprise" comes out and nobody knows who they are.  And then the announcement of Shaq when the promo was seemingly over.  The announcers had to cover for her because it was so missable the way she delivered it.  And if @J.T. is right and this is some shit for Cody's gameshow?  Cherry on top of  a shit sundae.  And Brandi going zero to 60 over next to nothing was contrived as fuck.  Cody booking himself in a program with a mainstream star is very on-brand. 

Not gonna lie, I FFWD'd through Sky/Spears.  I was sleepy and drinking and watching Spears would have put me out.

Props to JR for not being terrible this week outside of mentioning something about Conti's strong Brazillian legs or whatever and I just can't be bothered at this point.

The Inner Circle thing was not great.  What is the point of this angle?  I know the payoff should be something but in the interim, comedy skits every week?  Jesus.

Conti/Velvet was really good!  And there was also some storyline attached.  Cool.  I could do with a little less of Velvet spamming her taunt like she's trying to fill her finisher bar, though.

Bucks challenging an up and coming indy team is a cool gimmick.  "We're the top guys and we hear these guys are good, so we want to fight them."  Simple and great.  Having the champions' attention gets Top Flight over immediately.

Penta/Fenix was GREAT.  LOVED Schiavone's outrage over the mask tearing.  And Pac is back to save his dudes from Eddie, who did not give one shit about brothers killing each other.  Nice.

Holy fuck they're doing Mox/Kenny on TV in a few weeks.  I'm here for it.  Kenny mentioned being 0-0 against Mox in regular wrestling matches was tremendous.  I love pedantic asshole Kenny.

Excalibur imploring Tony to sell some DVDs because he's done enough of that himself warmed my PWG heart.

• Like 2

Man, if you think Brandi going from zero to 60 was contrived, then I don't know what to tell you. I've seen that multiple times in person at bars and tailgates where a woman winds up flying off the handle for her man or for another reason and it's always amazing. Brandi was the perfect embodiment of that and I loved every second of it.

Also, why wouldn't Cody book himself into a program with Shaq? Cody is one AEW's biggest stars that has nothing to lose, Shaq is a huge star with crossover appeal, and it just makes sense. It keeps Cody out of the title picture to let Darby grow with it.

And I'm not going to lie, but Shaq being some kind of hired gun for Brodie would be fine by me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

. It keeps Cody out of the title picture to let Darby grow with it.

Except it only kind of does because he's clearly going to be part of the Taz stuff too to keep him occupied week to week. 

Seems like at least some Black fans on twitter were none too happy with Brandi presenting as an angry Black woman for the first time in her career like that and I feel like I get why it's problematic. 

The show delivered more than I had expected.  Some people on Twitter were expecting Ryback to debut. So glad he didn't.  However, I am not big at all on the Shaq angle. Brandi does not need to be in an on screen angle. Her acting is god awful and that whole segment was cringe worthy. I am assuming it will lead to a mixed tag match with Shaq involved. 

The announcers mentioned Dustin never losing a Bunkhouse match which led me to believe he wouldn't be losing this one. The blood surprised me but it was welcome due to the style of match. A regular tag between these teams would likely have me changing the channel. The Bunkhouse style kept me glued to the screen. 

Penta and Fenix put on a great match. The mask ripping was brilliant and having Pac-Kingston put into motion is a great move as well. 

I can see the Proud and Powerful getting pissed about MJF being in the inner circle and possibly leaving.  Pac will have Fenix and Penta, and Kingston can have Santana and Ortiz.  Imagine the 6 man tags

Omega has to be the guy to beat Moxley right? Who else can do it at this point? 

Great show without using your big names in main event level matches. Looking forward to next week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One other thought. I enjoyed the bunkhouse match but they gotta stop doing the stunt spots through shitty random boxes/crash pads. It was silly when Triple H and Undertaker did it at X7 and it sucks today. Looks so dumb. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

As a Black woman who has seen it done way too often, Brandi was 100% code switching. It was a complete embarrassment and I've yet to talk to any Black woman wrestling fan who enjoyed it.

Thanks for calling this out. 

@Craig H...by "0 to 60" I meant I didn't feel Carghill said anything so insulting it warranted DON'T TALK TO MY MAN LIKE THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH.  It felt so phony.  Especially, as @Jijisaid, we've never seen Brandi use this gimmick and it felt so forced and kind of gross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for calling this out. 

@Craig H...by "0 to 60" I meant I didn't feel Carghill said anything so insulting it warranted DON'T TALK TO MY MAN LIKE THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH.  It felt so phony.  Especially, as @Jijisaid, we've never seen Brandi use this gimmick and it felt so forced and kind of gross.

Eh, I don't know, Cargill was saying some shit about Cody's junk and seemed to also be coming onto him at times before saying Shaq would be coming after Cody.

• Like 4

I really liked the Bunkhouse match.  BUNKHOUSE BUTCH.  While I’m in general agreement that B&B seem more useful than the Nightmares moving forward, AEW has been pretty consistent in always putting the faces over in these big blowoff matches, which I think is smart business, so I was fine with the Nightmares getting the win.  B&B will have plenty to do with the PAC/Kingston feud firing up.

• Like 2