DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'm well aware that Shaquille O'Neal is a celebrity and one of the biggest names in sports. I'm also aware that AEW would maybe want some crossover promotion with the NBA and/or Shaq. 

However, celebrity appeal doesn't always translate well to pro wrestling. It takes a specific type of booking to make it work well. And AEW didn't set the bar very high for Shaq's arrival tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I mean no one's arguing it was well executed. Brandi turning into Tasha Mack was the highlight for me, really. 

I feel like if Lucha Underground can hire actors, Wendy Raquel Robinson can fit right in with AEW. I'm just saying.

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah dude @Jiji on the money, the General, Icy Hot, Papa John's... Shaq has to be one of the most widely televised individuals going dude

Not just Papa John's but Papa John's trying to ardently prove they aren't racist so he's in like every other Papa John's ad now.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm well aware that Shaquille O'Neal is a celebrity and one of the biggest names in sports. I'm also aware that AEW would maybe want some crossover promotion with the NBA and/or Shaq. 

However, celebrity appeal doesn't always translate well to pro wrestling. It takes a specific type of booking to make it work well. And AEW didn't set the bar very high for Shaq's arrival tonight. 

So what you're saying is that it can only get better? Lol. 

If Shaq tweeted or posted on his Instagram that he was showing up on Dynamite on December 2nd would be a massive boost for what should be a signature episode for the company. 

The potential is there for something really big. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Jade Cargill hadn't previously appeared on any AEW programming other than as a ringside fan, on the babyface side of the crowd.

It's the first time I saw her. I just creeped her Instagram and I don't want to be Hollywood Cibernetico'd so I will keep my opinions to myself lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

To be fair, NXT started a feud with Pat Mcafee (a retired NFL punter) andAdam Cole on his podcast. It ended up better than expected.

I’m not holding my breath but it’s possible.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bryan said:

To be fair, NXT started a feud with Pat Mcafee (a retired NFL punter) andAdam Cole on his podcast. It ended up better than expected.

I’m not holding my breath but it’s possible.

I've been thoroughly impressed by what Stephen Amell has done in wrestling, and dude had some good matches that were better than they had any right to be.

However, with McAfee, McAfee is something they set up and built up for a long time. McAfee was a frequent NXT analyst, had done supplemental WWE broadcast work for years. Additionally for years, McAfee and Cole had been adversarial with each other. Also, they planted the seeds for the matchup by actually having a confrontation between Cole and McAfee on his podcast. Then McAfee punted him on NXT, and then they had the match at TakeOver. They did it the right way and they made the most of it. Also, McAfee is also naturally gifted at the whole promo thing, and he took having a match with Cole seriously. Jade Cargill clearly is not as naturally gifted with the promo ability.

And for every Pat McAfee/Cole, I can find you Ben Stiller on Monday Night Raw talking about checking out Debra's puppies in person. 

I'm not saying you can never do it and it can never work, but I'm not encouraged by it tonight. 

Edited by TheVileOne

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, McAfee is also naturally gifted at the whole promo thing. Jade Cargill clearly is not.

As someone who was familiar with Jade Cargill before tonight, I don't think people follow Jade Cargill for her promo skills.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As someone who was familiar with Jade Cargill before tonight, I don't think people follow Jade Cargill for her promo skills.

I knew who she was before tonight, but maybe it wasn't the right time to have her cut an extended wrestling promo to tease the arrival of Shaquille O'Neal when it sounded like it was the first time she ever held a microphone in a ring.

The way this is going, I’m assuming they announced Shaq vs Cody next week.... right? That’s the only way any of this conversation makes sense, talking about rushed booking and shit.

Oh, they didn’t announce that? It’s just a tease to build up a program? Gotcha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Casey said:

The way this is going, I’m assuming they announced Shaq vs Cody next week.... right? That’s the only way any of this conversation makes sense, talking about rushed booking and shit.

Oh, they didn’t announce that? It’s just a tease to build up a program? Gotcha.

Dude I was about type the same thing.

What VileOne is saying makes absolutely no sense.

Also for the talk of the celebrity stuff, has Pat McAfee really shifted the momentum any type of way to NXT?  You would think WWE would hope his following would help grow NXT's ratings. At least with Shaq, you can honestly say the Inside the NBA crowd is the same crowd that would eat up BTE. I don't believe this specific type of booking bullshit. If you wanted real feuds, you wouldn't bring in celebrities.

• Like 1

They totally need to shoot Omega v Mox at korakuen with the storyline of Kenny wanting the match on his terms in his back yard. Then they can stick around for the US title match at the dome and Kenny can begin the year build for next years dome with Ibushi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Anyway, I also don’t understand why the Butcher and the Blade pretty much always job on Dynamite. They have a good look and are physically imposing. I feel like they could have made some money with them if they hadn’t been treated like jobbers.

Exactly. I don't ever remember seeing them win!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not getting why AEW needs a Shaq crossover in 2020 or 2021.

1) It will be fun. AEW is the wrestling TV program where people get to have fun at work. If someone prefers pro wrestling TV programs that are not fun, there are other options.

2) In 2020, Shaq works as an analyst on Inside the NBA. Even if you want to pretend that people don't remember him fondly as a basketball player, terrible actor, advertising spokesperson, and video game character, he is still relevant. Inside the NBA on TNT gets over a million viewers. It's cross-promotion, and it could bring some new eyes to AEW.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, El Gran Gordi said:

1) It will be fun. AEW is the wrestling TV program where people get to have fun at work. If someone prefers pro wrestling TV programs that are not fun, there are other options.

2) Inside the NBA on TNT gets over a million viewers. It's cross-promotion and it could bring some new eyes to AEW. In 2020, Shaq works as an analyst on Inside the NBA.

He's just stupid, Gordi. We've explained this to him enough.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He's just stupid, Gordi. We've explained this to him enough.

Oh, wow. Yeah. I somehow missed, like, two whole pages of back and forth on the topic. Yikes!

Anyway... uh... I really enjoyed Full Gear, top to bottom. I agree with a lot of the negative sentiments w/r/t some of the programs on that PPV being built to in odd, unusual, and awkward ways... but damn if everything didn't pay off beautifully. I mean, for example, Young Bucks vs FTR was built up almost heel vs heel but in the end The Bucks managed to get a lot of sympathy and the crowd reactions were almost face vs face but with heat. I mean, Eddie Kingston said "I quit" but nobody doubts his toughness going forward...

What I'm saying is: I'm inclined to give AEW's booking and execution the benefit of the doubt after watching Full Gear, twice, and loving the storytelling and the action and the results. 

• Like 7

Man, I fucking loved this show tonight. I think the only thing I didn't care for was Brian Cage vs Matt Sydal. I just think Cage moves around way too stiff and looks totally weird in the ring. He'd be better off in WWE or Impact. AEW has better hosses I want to see.

The rest was the fucking shit. I was dying during that Brandi promo. I love that shit and to me, Brandi came off the best she has ever come off. Give me women calling others trifflin' bitches every day of the week. As for Cody vs Shaq, that was certainly a surprise. Not sure if it's a good one or whatever, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

I know a lot of us like the Butcher and the Blade, but I'm surprised many of you still think that those guys aren't jobbers. I don't think I've ever seen them as anything but jobbers. Maybe they'll go on a run at some point, but I never expect them to win, I just expect them to put up a fight. Tonight, those four motherfuckers fight and bled all over the place. AEW does wild brawls pretty well.

I feel for Ortiz and Sammy. I fucking hate MJF. He's such a dick. That's the glory of this storyline though in that hopefully it ends with MJF getting his ass kicked.

And huge, HUGE props to the announcing team for putting over how bad it felt to watch Penta and Fenix fight each other. I genuinely felt bad watching that and seeing them tear at each others masks. It was an effective way at re-establishing Eddie as a scumbag heel. Plus, it lead to the return of THE BASTARD PAC!!!!!!!!! Man, that was surprising as hell to me and I was marking the fuck out. I didn't expect him to be returning to the ring so soon so that was a badass surprise and it's going to give us Pac vs Kingston. Fuck. Yes.

I'm surprised they're doing Moxley vs Kenny so soon. Less than a month away. If anything, I figured they would do that on 12/30.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I wonder if we get Shaq/Cody on the same Dynamite that Omega/Moxley is happening on. Isn’t that the day after the NBA starts?

I don't think anyone in the NBA would agree to a 12/2 start date. But yeah, it's 12/22 when the NBA season starts back up.

I imagine Shaq vs. Cody would be on the Beach Break show. If they do it the same time they did BatB in January, it would be mid January 2021. So they would have two months. Also, it would give them ample time to do wacky segments on Inside the NBA.

• Like 2