DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh no I didn't mean TNA and AEW, I meant there's no comparison between Shaq and Jones

There really isn't. It's not a discussion. Shaq is hyper visible. He's part of the best half-time/post-game show on TV that does constantly big numbers, not to mention he is one of the greatest players of all time.

He's a walking ad machine too. He's everywhere.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He's a retired NBA player. It's a sideshow attraction at best. 

At least with Tyson they were capitalizing off the buzz of his viral video. I can see the sense in that.

Yeah but people have already forgotten about that, it's the nature of the beast. Shaq is on TV multiple times a week for NBA coverage

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Yeah dude @Jiji on the money, the General, Icy Hot, Papa John's... Shaq has to be one of the most widely televised individuals going dude

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah but people have already forgotten about that, it's the nature of the beast. Shaq is on TV multiple times a week for NBA coverage

If end goal is to sell me on some sort of Shaq/Cody feud or matchup, they didn't sell me on it tonight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

On a night where Shida, Hangman, FTR, Lee, Archer and other big names weren't on the show, I thought the Conti/Velvet choice was a bit odd. I mean Shida couldn't at least get an entrance and do guest commentary or something? 

I'm cool with cycling through names such that not everyone is on every week, but its such a different approach than other modern promotions that I kind of have to reprogram myself.

Re: the main event, feels right that the Bros would eventually split with Fenix face and Penta heel. I just wasn't ready for it so soon. Every single match combination I can think of between Kingston, Pac, Fenix and Penta would rule hard, though. Like no way this won't be good, even if it feels rushed.

If they want to build a competent  women’s division with a bunch of unknown girls they have to give some of these women an opportunity to get over.

And I thought they had a much better match than any of the Big Swole matches that were happening way too frequently a month or so ago.

• Like 4

A good match between Velvet and Conti. I like that Conti hasn’t drank the Dark Order Kool Aid yet. 

I’ve heard a lot about Jade Cargill so cool to see her pop up here. She made Brandi look so tiny which made their showdown and Brandi’s threats even funnier. 

• Like 1

Shaq is not just any retired player. He’s one of the faces of the league and a key part of its programming. He’s all over TV. That’d be like calling Michael Strahan a retired football player.

It can be true that 1) Shaq is a big deal that can legitimately help them and 2) this was a very strange way to start building to that, and not in the top 1,000 ways I’d think of to start a Shaq / Cody feud. And it wasn’t executed well.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Shaq is the fifth most viewed episode of hot ones (i know i know) and only Billie Eilish and Gordon Ramsay are recent episodes with more views. Austin's did 16m. Shaq's 26.

Hot Ones is a YouTube show where Sean Evans interviews celebrities while they eat hot wings. Does this mean 26 million people are going to watch him wrestle Cody Rhodes on TNT?

Not picking a dog in this fight since I really only pay attention to AEW via discussion here, but something people may want to keep in mind is Shaq pretty much chickened out on a match with the Big Show at Wrestlemania multiple times despite constantly talking about wanting to do it for years. Does AEW have him signed already to do a match for sure? 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

If end goal is to sell me on some sort of Shaq/Cody feud or matchup, they didn't sell me on it tonight.

I mean that's fair, but it's also step one of what I presume will be a multi-week or month affair. The Tyson thing we were talking about before, they used him twice and that was it for that. I just feel like these are all different animals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Hot Ones is a YouTube show where Sean Evans interviews celebrities while they eat hot wings. Does this mean 26 million people are going to watch him wrestle Cody Rhodes on TNT?

Just trying to demonstrate how big of a name Diesel is in 2020. 

I don't think anybody is loving tonight's set-up for the set-up for the set-up angle but you're going way too far. This is also a nice way of introducing Cargill and immediately making her a big name. Cody is also getting to play out his dad's wish of being a Black man. 

• Haha 7