DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On a night where Shida, Hangman, FTR, Lee, Archer and other big names weren't on the show, I thought the Conti/Velvet choice was a bit odd. I mean Shida couldn't at least get an entrance and do guest commentary or something? 

I'm cool with cycling through names such that not everyone is on every week, but its such a different approach than other modern promotions that I kind of have to reprogram myself.

Re: the main event, feels right that the Bros would eventually split with Fenix face and Penta heel. I just wasn't ready for it so soon. Every single match combination I can think of between Kingston, Pac, Fenix and Penta would rule hard, though. Like no way this won't be good, even if it feels rushed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not getting why AEW needs a Shaq crossover in 2020 or 2021.

Imagine the new TNT show's debut being pushed on the NBA on TNT studio show. For better or worse, Shaq is still a pretty big name that will get the company exposure they wouldn't normally get. It's not going to be Flair/Steamboat, but it will serve a purpose.

• Like 2

Brandi speaking in Ebonics for the first time ever was cringe even if her delivery was good/funny. Jade Cargill's promo was a bad WWE promo but never mind that shit. She looks amazing. I'm assuming she's a total project in terms of wrestling because I've never even heard of her and if she could work and looks like that then she'd be all over the place. 

The booking on this show was not particularly good for reasons already mentioned. Spears and Marshall should rarely wrestle on Dynamite and if they do they should lose decisively. There's no future for either of them and it's a waste of fucking time. I know Butcher is old but at least I could see him being a solid midcard/gatekeeper monster heel for 3-5 years. And that wasn't it. 

The roster is full of talented guys. I feel like we're at the point where either they need to start cutting some of the deadweight or get that second TV show going. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Imagine the new TNT show's debut being pushed on the NBA on TNT studio show. For better or worse, Shaq is still a pretty big name that will get the company exposure they wouldn't normally get. It's not going to be Flair/Steamboat, but it will serve a purpose.

1. That remains to be seen.

2. What was the point of name-dropping and mentioning him? If the point is to set up Shaq vs. Cody, why not have him there to do that? Why is Jade Cargill warning Cody about Shaq? It's stupid and makes no sense.

3. People said the same thing about Pacman Jones being signed to TNA. It didn't improve ratings or move the needle in any meaningful way. 

Edited by TheVileOne

If this really does lead to the quest for more eyeballs mk II after Tyson fell through, Shaq gonna blow up worse than Luther I feel like.

And with that in mind, I'm guessing it's Shaq and Cargill vs. Cody n Brandi?

Edited by Jiji

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

If this really does lead to the quest for more eyeballs mk II after Tyson fell through, Shaq gonna blow up worse than Luther I feel like.

And with that in mind, I'm guessing it's Shaq and Cargill vs. Cody n Brandi?

If tonight was any indication, Cargill is not ready for such a slot.

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

. She looks amazing. I'm assuming she's a total project in terms of wrestling because I've never even heard of her and if she could work and looks like that then she'd be all over the place. 

She had a tryout with WWE last year. I think she has been training since.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

1. That remains to be seen.

2. What was the point of name-dropping and mentioning him? If the point is to set up Shaq vs. Cody, why not have him there to do that? Why is Jade Cargill warning Cody about Shaq? It's stupid and makes no sense.

3. People said the same thing about Pacman Jones being signed to TNA. It didn't improve ratings or move the needle in any meaningful way. 

Well yeah, of course it remains to be seen. Not saying it was the greatest segment ever, but there is potential for a big payoff for AEW if done right. 

And comparing Shaq to Pacman Jones is a very "wrestling bubble" comment lol.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Well yeah, of course it remains to be seen. Not saying it was the greatest segment ever, but there is potential for a big payoff for AEW if done right. 

And comparing Shaq to Pacman Jones is a very "wrestling bubble" comment lol.

After tonight's segment, without even Shaq appearing, that's about where this angle is right now.

Shaq is one of the most familiar faces in sports. I totally understand why you'd do this. It's going to be terrible and who knows how many people stick around after it's over, but it totally makes sense for a start-up company to expand on a stagnating audience. 

Omega said the December Dynamite that features his title challenge will be the biggest in history. Do they rush it for that show? Do they build it for Revolution? I feel like you want eyeballs so Shaq probably debuts in person on that Dynamite and the match is on PPV. 

• Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

I’m sure glad a random DVDVR member has revoked Tony Khan’s Twitter privileges!

Me too, someone had to after all of these over promise under deliver tweets.

Some Jade girl most of us have never seen or heard of nervously cutting a promo on behalf of Shaq... for what I assume will be a mixed tag in by far Cody’s worst segment in AEW. Yikes.

And PAC who they teased returning just last week... and whose return was kind of telegraphed by Schiavone’s obsession with Kingston causing the rift between the Lucha Bros.

Anyway, I also don’t understand why the Butcher and the Blade pretty much always job on Dynamite. They have a good look and are physically imposing. I feel like they could have made some money with them if they hadn’t been treated like jobbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Can’t cut a promo = can’t wrestle

got it.

If the whole point is to make a spectacle out of this, you would maybe want someone in that role who is capable of cutting a decent promo to sell this feud. Cargill did not give that impression tonight.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

TNA could have booked Jesus Christ coming back and it still wouldn't have moved any needle for them.

Shaq at least will some attention. What kind remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

TNA could have booked Jesus Christ coming back and it still wouldn't have moved any needle for them.

Shaq at least will some attention. What kind remains to be seen.

Pacman Jones signing with TNA did get some media attention at the time, which Jarrett and Carter lauded. But then the NFL barred him from getting physical in TNA, making his whole signing useless. Just one of many of Carter's money-wasting blunders.

Mike Tyson in AEW did get attention and popped a good rating for them. Jericho was keen to do a match, and they never followed through with it.

• Like 2

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Pacman had just shot a guy it's a ridiculous comparison

Not really, it's a lesser known, less established wrestling promotion trying to get mainstream media attention and notoriety by using a sports star from another sport by having them cross over. 

Shaq is also a huge wrestling fan. His involvement will get people talking. The NBA starts on December 22nd so I'm sure it will be brought up quite a bit during the studio show. And like I said before, with the upcoming new show debuting probably in early 2021, Shaq/Cody would be a memorable first episode main event.

• Like 2

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Not really, it's a lesser known, less established wrestling promotion trying to get mainstream media attention and notoriety by using a sports star from another sport by having them cross over. 

Oh no I didn't mean TNA and AEW, I meant there's no comparison between Shaq and Jones

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Shaq is one of the most familiar faces in sports. I totally understand why you'd do this. It's going to be terrible and who knows how many people stick around after it's over, but it totally makes sense for a start-up company to expand on a stagnating audience. 

Omega said the December Dynamite that features his title challenge will be the biggest in history. Do they rush it for that show? Do they build it for Revolution? I feel like you want eyeballs so Shaq probably debuts in person on that Dynamite and the match is on PPV. 

He's a retired NBA player. It's a sideshow attraction at best. 

At least with Tyson they were capitalizing off the buzz of his viral video. I can see the sense in that.

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Shaq is also a huge wrestling fan. His involvement will get people talking. The NBA starts on December 22nd so I'm sure it will be brought up quite a bit during the studio show. And like I said before, with the upcoming new show debuting probably in early 2021, Shaq/Cody would be a memorable first episode main event.

If that's the plan and tonight was supposed to be the shift in the wrestling industry why not announce that tonight?