DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Kicking Heads and Drinking Kegs - 11/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

This was to my knowledge at least the second or third time now during the covid era that Vince has put his own political stamp on WWE programming, it's dangerous and there's no room for it.  

The "Not my Captain" segment was disgusting even by WWE standards. I want to watch the wrestlers I like perform in the ring and entertain. I don't give a shit about a crazy old man's political views especially when he's pedaling conspiracy theory bullshit designed to undermine our democracy.  There are people out here who truly believe this garbage.  It's dangerous.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 3

The women's segments were generally decent though I would probably be more into what they are trying to do with Lana if Lana was actually good. Asuka/Nia was fun while it lasted.

Hurt Business segments were fun.

Didn't mind the stuff with the 24/7 belt as well.

Main event was mostly background noise for me. I just don't care about the idea of Orton/Drew anymore at this point. Will say Orton's earlier segments still managed grabbed me interests somewhat.

FF through much of the show. Raw just does little for me. The bright spots are solid, but they generally aren't enough to overrule the other crap, especially at three hours. Beyond that the SS match is kind of dead to me due to Riddle's involvement.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The "Not my Captain" segment was disgusting even by WWE standards. I want to watch the wrestlers I like perform in the ring and entertain. I don't give a shit about a crazy old man's political views especially when he's pedaling conspiracy theory bullshit designed to undermine our democracy.  There are people out here who truly believe this garbage.  It's dangerous.  

Was this the early backstage interview segment? It didn't come across to me as political comment considering how the story of Raw's team building has been going. If it was something later then I likely missed it due to ff the dvr.

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Was this the early backstage interview segment? It didn't come across to me as political comment considering how the story of Raw's team building has been going. If it was something later then I likely missed it due to ff the dvr.

I was debating on whether I should explain it here. I'm going to PM you instead.  I mean Linda basically tweeted along these lines over the weekend too, I just didn't think they'd bring it to TV. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was debating on whether I should explain it here. I'm going to PM you instead.  I mean Linda basically tweeted along these lines over the weekend too, I just didn't think they'd bring it to TV. 

I didn't read this segment as political.  They already established last week that AJ thinks he's team captain, but no one else takes him serious.  The story line for both Raw teams has been that they haven't come together as a team yet.

Edited by nofuture
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I didn't read this segment as political.  They already established last week that AJ thinks he's team captain, but no one else takes him serious.  The story line for the Raw team has been that they haven't come together as a team yet.

If the Captain angle is political, it's rather subtle for Vince.  He usually smacks you in the face with political digs and mean-spirited humor so the people he's mocking know they are being mocked.  My theory is that if you are wondering whether something was intended to be political, it probably isn't.

Even if it was political, it's easy enough to ignore.  Honestly, I thought the "Not my Captain" line was a dig at Walt Whitman.  I can sympathize.  I was an English major in college.  I'd just as soon never read free verse poetry ever again.

Show was rather blah.  Completely lost interest by the time the main event rolled around and turned it off.  Really, I've completely lost interest in Orton-Drew.

Really at a loss to see how Lana's angle will get her over.  Even if it somehow does, can they keep her over?  Lana's not particularly good any anything pro-wrestling related.  I don't even think she connects with the audience all that well.  

I want the minutes I wasted on the 24/7 title match back.  God, that was dumb.  Also, why would the wrestlers fight each other and ignore the guy fighting the champion?   People paired off and ignored pin attempts on the champion.  It's not like anyone in the match had heat with anyone else and it made everyone involved look idiotic.  

Yeah, I know everyone is sensitive these days with politics but "not my captain" being a shot at Biden is a little much, especially with the "not my" thing being both a running thing on social media for years and also "I'm the captain, no I'm the captain" Survivor Series builds is like the go-to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Yeah, I know everyone is sensitive these days with politics but "not my captain" being a shot at Biden is a little much, especially with the "not my" thing being both a running thing on social media for years and also "I'm the captain, no I'm the captain" Survivor Series builds is like the go-to. 

I know four years ago as soon as you-know-who won there were protests where people were chanting "Not my president!"  I should know since I took part in the one near me.  So it's something that has been said before and I can see why Linda might have tweeted something along those lines.

But out of curiosity I did see the backstage and in-ring segment with the group and while the wording was strange it did tie into what they've been doing the past couple months.  So unless there's a tweet that got deleted not pile on but I don't see it either.

Now one thing I did see is the gear that New Day wore and the detail on it  is worth looking at.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1