DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15.

The Natural

On 11/9/2020 at 5:22 PM, The Natural said:

Seen as NJPW's confirmed three matches today for Wrestle Kingdom 15, a thread for it. I'll keep updating this post when more matches are added.

https://www.njpw1972.com/84605

4th January, Night 1:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Great-O-Khan.

IWGP Tag Team Championship: Taichi/Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Guerillas of Destiny.

Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Phantasmo.

5th January, Night 2:

Jay White faces the winner of Naito/Ibushi for both titles.

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Taiji Ishimori vs. Hiromu-ELP winner.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Shingo Takagi vs. Jeff Cobb.

SANADA vs. EVIL.

Updated the OP with six new matches announced. Poor Hiroshi Tanahashi.

I'm assuming it'll be set up on the tour starting tomorrow, Wato pinned him in BOTSJ and Kanemaru is back. Expecting Wato/Taguchi vs Desperado/Kanemaru for the Jr Tag Titles. He deserves a bigger spotlight though. 

1/5 wasn't selling too well last I read, curious how they round out the cards now that what appears to be all the big matches are announced. 

• Thanks 1

I wonder if there was hope for Moxley to be able to do the shows. I guess the chance is still there. I think tying Tana up with KENTA this year was probably to get Mox vs both of them at WK. Mox/Tanahashi on night two with or without the US title would be a big match up.

Cancelled my New Japan World subscription today. Had been toying with the idea, and Super J Cup was the nail in the coffin.

I'm confident Ibushi vs. Naito will be excellent but am lukewarm on everything else, and I would think they've announced their best matches already.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Cancelled my New Japan World subscription today. Had been toying with the idea, and Super J Cup was the nail in the coffin.

I'm confident Ibushi vs. Naito will be excellent but am lukewarm on everything else, and I would think they've announced their best matches already.

I can understand that. I'm underwhelmed by the lineup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I'm assuming it'll be set up on the tour starting tomorrow, Wato pinned him in BOTSJ and Kanemaru is back. Expecting Wato/Taguchi vs Desperado/Kanemaru for the Jr Tag Titles. He deserves a bigger spotlight though. 

1/5 wasn't selling too well last I read, curious how they round out the cards now that what appears to be all the big matches are announced. 

Ah, thanks for that. I can see them either going back to one night in 2022. I think 2021 was made a double again for how it went this year and to get money in with the global pandemic.

8 hours ago, Sublime said:

I wonder if there was hope for Moxley to be able to do the shows. I guess the chance is still there. I think tying Tana up with KENTA this year was probably to get Mox vs both of them at WK. Mox/Tanahashi on night two with or without the US title would be a big match up.

So why they did it at Power Struggle?

I'm wondering if things fell through? This year didn't end with any hot angles, I did for a second think there was maybe a way for AEW and NJPW to kindle a relationship with Moxley-Kenta at the 1/4 show. When they couldn't secure it they just ended any drama at Power Struggle.

It's crazy that Okada just has Ospreay scheduled. No six man tag titles match announced yet either but they aren't a draw I suppose. I don't know why they are waiting to fill out the cards, unless they want to keep the line ups limited. Nothing is super intriguing. 

The King of Pro Wrestling trophy was supposed to be vacated and put up for grabs but no one really cares, it seems designed for Yano only. New Year's Dash needs to really shake things up.

• Like 1

I was down on last year’s WK lineups, and this year’s look even worse so far.  Every variation of Naito/Ibushi/White is beyond played out with me, at this point.

Two years ago, I would’ve been way into Evil and Sanada at WK, but you just know it’s going to be endless Bullet Club bullshit now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Archibald said:

They are doing Yano/Fale on one of the Road to shows. Something for WK will likely be announced after that match.

You'd think they would want people voting on stipulations but they abandoned that quickly. Fale-Yano is a body slam match I believe?

Might as well keep it on Yano. It'll end up on a shelf with the U-30 title otherwise. 

• Like 1

Surprised the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Intercontinental Championship hasn't been separated for a few reasons:

The IWGP Intercontinental Championship was built up so well as a secondary title, it was the second to last match on the show and sometimes main evented tours. Hell fans had more interest in Nakamura/Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 8 for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship that they voted for it to headline over Okada/Naito's IWGP Heavyweight Championship match. Granted that was because of the pairings.

The IWGP Intercontinental Championship gave wrestlers something to do and go for.

If you look at a recent double champion defending both belts, they'd lose one to free up the other. Becky Lynch as WWE RAW Women's and WWE Smackdown Women's Champion did that. Seth Rollins lost the WWE United States Championship while WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

The IWGP Intercontinental Championship means more than the other secondary singles titles, the IWGP United States Championship and NEVER Openweight Championship.

I won’t be that would the best outcome. I just hope White doesn’t walk out with the belts. I think the guy is great but I think he’s the weakest of the choices. Ibushi probably should win both nights though cause that makes the most sense story wise over the past few years 

I can't see White winning. He's getting jumped by Bullet Club on 1/6 for failing to win, especially after he trashed Evil for doing so at Power Struggle and his opponent (i predict Ibushi as well) coming off a grueling match while he rested. Jay White's redemption arc begins.

I wonder if the loser of the title match on 1/4 wrestles on 1/5. No natural opponents for either man but they need to fill out the card.

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

You all are going to be very upset when Naito does a big roll call on 1/5.

I think the really damning thing is I can't imagine having a really emotional response either way, and I've been wholly in the tank for Ibushi for... god, over a decade, now. If he wins, it'll feel more like a relief that he's finally ticked that box; if he doesn't, it is what it is. Any combo of Ibushi/Naito/White will be fantastic, of course, and the second match has a great built-in hook with White working over a beat-up opponent. 

I still think Kota Ibushi beats Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship/IWGP Intercontinental Championship and retains against Jay White the next night. Looks bad if Ibushi loses another shot at the titles and perhaps even more so dropping them only 24 hours after.