DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Beyond Light

RIPPA

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

If Bungie were smart, they'd roll out one 3.0 per season until all three were available.  No one is going to wait six months to a year for another sub-class to be overhauled.  Everyone playing Void classes in PvP is only going to be novel for so long.

This is seemingly the plan. Each subclass gets a 3.0 rollout with each new season this year. Its more a question of whether or not they are able to stick with it.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Played Gambit for the first time in like 2 months yesterday. I had basically stopped when realizing that it would take TWO resets to get the fucking Ascendancy skin needed for the seasonal challenge.

I mean I only got the Vanguard one like two days ago and I do that daily and there are far more sources of rep.

Yeah I mostly gave up on that idea when I caught the two needed resets. I did the first reset during the last round of bonus points so I could finish some lingering seasonal bounties. The Vanguard and Gambit skins for Ascendancy are all I have left. I will finish up the Vanguard. Probably will leave Gambit alone since I doubt I still end up using Ascendancy come Witchqueen.

What's funny/sad is I managed to do the Crucible double reset first because of the stupid amount of Iron Banner I tend to do the first time we get it each season so I can leave it the fuck alone after. I usually play Vanguard more. Hopefully this stuff is significantly better next season since they are suppose to increase the amount of points we get for Vanguard and Gambit. Both were apparently lower than intended if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Gambit used to be so fun until broken shit ruined it.  I was a really good invader.

I still have fun with it sometimes only for something to happen that kills most of my enjoyment around halfway through. Curious if whatever revamps we get next season are decent. I just want at least two new maps.

Hoo boy - now I know why New Light players can feel so overwhelmed 

I legit have 5 different quests going at once. They best was getting the recording where Lakshmi dies and immediately getting the recording where she is all pissy about the Elksni showing up after

• Haha 2

Witch Queen is exciting to me because I can finally be level with everyone else. I found some cool YouTube content guys and found out about destiny recipes.

I had only played Warlock so far and when I found out you could store bounties I made the other two classes and I thought everything would already be unlocked since I did it all on my Warlock. Silly Shadow. It's been a long couple weeks but I've finally unlocked all the subclasses. Now I just need to farm legendary shards till my eyes bleed.

Lastly I got Stompees on my hunter and going back to titan felt so sluggish afterwards. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The part where the Titan was running wild had me tingly in my pants

I was thinking that someone in dev had watched one too many Dark Orders trios matches where John Silver goes apeshit on everyone on the other side right before the finish.

Well, you can't say that the writing for this season will be sub-standard.

Glaives look kinda awesome in PvE.  They will soooooooo break PvP into tiny little pieces.

Got the Telesto catalyst to drop yesterday finishing a Legendary Lost Sector

Wonder if the gun would be active long enough for me to complete the catalyst if I start working on it

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The exorcism mission is out today and it is dope. I feel like this is a big moment in Destiny. 

I am glad I am in a meeting - otherwise I would have probably watched it via someone's Twitch stream

Now I can do it myself

As I am farming The Fanatic for shards and cores, I learned things that are old to all of you but make a lot of sense to me now.

1. Most mobs seem to be right handed. So if I hide behind a pillar on the right side I can angle it where I can shoot them and they can't shoot me. I am going to see if this will help me in pvp.

2. Trinity ghoul is absurdity good with the catalyst. But I learned that I can kill mobs before I even see them if I shoot the right spot.

3. I learned that if you are too far away for the gun type you're using, the damage drops off the further you are away. I had noticed this on shotguns but it seems to be on all weapons. 

Do you guys have any tips on pvp? I've been in the crucible twice to do the weekly quests and I did so poorly. Even with the recommended resilience I still die so fast. I would like to try Iron Banner though so I may just have to tough it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Do you guys have any tips on pvp? I've been in the crucible twice to do the weekly quests and I did so poorly. Even with the recommended resilience I still die so fast. I would like to try Iron Banner though so I may just have to tough it out.

I have never been all that certain that stats meant anything in PvP.  As a Hunter I usually relied on high Mobility just so I could have the movement speed to retreat when I needed to.  I am not terribly certain how Stasis has mucked up the game, but here are the lessons I learned that helped me get pretty decent while chasing Crucible ritual weapons.

1. Go where your team goes even if it doesn't make sense. 

Team shooting gets you wins in PvP so always have eyes on your squad and shoot in the direction they shoot.  Few things anger me more than wandering teammates that either get killed solo or aren't there to clean up my picks.  This isn't D1 so you need to think about getting assists, not kills.  It doesn't matter if you get a kill or an assist; a dead member of the other team is better than a live one.

2. Learn the maps as you go.  

Do not get frustrated if you don't have intimate knowledge of the maps.  If you play long enough, it will come.  The best thing to know about maps are where the shooting lanes are and where the flanking routes are.  That will save you a ton of deaths when you are trying to push an objective.  You will know where the bad spots are in a map.  You will have the skulls of your teammate to mark the way.

3. Do not overextend.

There is a time to be aggressive and there is a time to play it cool.  Only you will know when that time is according to your playstyle.  Don't go dashing around a corner unless you are pretty sure you won't get shot.  Leave yourself room to egress back to cover, especially on long maps where a good sniper will take your dome off with one bullet.

4. Never give a n00b an even break.

You will know by behavior who the shittiest guy on the other team is.  That is the guy you will plug every time you see him.  You don't go positive by getting shot by the best guy on the other side.  You do it by murdering the guys who don't know one end of the gun from the other.

5. Use your super in a tactical manner.

Don't pop your super unless you know that you have a good shot of killing more than one player on the other team.   Conversely, don't wait too long to use your super because time is against you.  The exception to the rule is Competitive where the team that is patient with their supers usually wins.. Most of the time..

5. Remember your other powers.

If you are a Hunter, remember you can Dodge.   If you are a Warlock, remember to use your Rifts to help your team.  If you are a Titan, use your Barricades to secure choke points.  Tailor your grenades to your style of play.   If you are aggressive, use stickies, Suppressors, Axion Bolts, Incendiaries or any other grenade that you can lead off with to damage or otherwise jack up your enemy before you start shooting.  If are a douchebag like me, you will use things like Voidwalls, Swarms, Lightning Grenades, or other widgets that are good at securing your retreat as you disengage.  

6. Retreat is still combat.

I am a jerk, so I like to shoot people and get them to chase me into a shooting lane where I will most likely light them up with a grenade as they approach.  Retreat is not running away.  Retreat is fighting while walking in reverse.

7. Try to resist meta, but not too much.

If the weapon du jour is a hand cannon, get good with hand cannons.  If the streamers notice something is OP, use that something that is OP.  Do not die frustrated.  Embrace meta and pray that Bungie fixes the other shit so that it works just as well in PvP.  Learn the lessons of the Hard Light and Prometheus Lens debacles.  If everyone in the world is using the Lorentz Driver, you should be using the Lorentz Driver.  That does not mean that you should be dependent on the Lorentz Driver for your kills.  Tailor meta to your entire load-out.  There are a lot of small maps in this game so there are times when you are going to be a shotgun douche whether you like it or not. 

8. Despise nerfs with all your heart.

Some asshole will always call for a nerf if he is constantly being killed by the same weapon in PvP.  Since Bungie cannot program its way out of a paper bag, any weapon they nerf for PvP reasons will probably suck in PvE also.  Until Bungie can get its shit together, do not support any nerfs for PvP meta.  If a fucker cannot avoid my Arbalest bolts, that is his problem, not mine.  A weapon should not be nerfed into uselessness in PvE just because some asshole sucks in PvP.

Everything else is pretty much practice.  You will get better the more you play, especially if you begin to get a sense of the style in which you like to play.  Often times meta will dictate how everyone plays, but get a sense of what works for you.  Unfortunately, you will probably die a lot figuring that out, but at least you have the luxury of multiple deaths thanks to your Ghost.

Good luck, Guardian.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Resistance absolutely matters in PvP as it frequently is the difference in whether a sniper one shots you or not. (And honestly you have to be super high anyway - like at least 80+)

Re Supers in PvP - with the changes they made - you will only get your Super once. And some matches you won't get your Super at all

One thing JT didnt mention but I think he agrees with me with - Capture Zones. You may not necessarily have a match where you are getting a ton of kills but if you are playing the objective, you are helping your team

• Like 2

The Exorcism mission was good. It felt more like an end mission for an expansion questline opposed to the usual end of season efforts which tend to feel low. The cutscene helped. Was neat fighting two bosses and getting participation from one of our allies. Interesting that one was Scorn Baron we fought in Astral Alignment. Surprisingly,

Spoiler

no on died. Was leaning more and more into the idea that Osiris was a dead duck, but for now it looks like they are just putting him on ice. I assume he returns/wakes up in Lightfall.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Resistance absolutely matters in PvP as it frequently is the difference in whether a sniper one shots you or not. (And honestly you have to be super high anyway - like at least 80+)

Having looked at Aztec playtest PvP the last 2 years it seems you want a minimum of 60. Resistance only goes so far. There is plenty you won't survive even at max. Anything that can wipe out people at 60 can probably wipe people out regardless. Otherwise the most important stats really are mobility and whatever stat is important for the ability you use most often.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A good Resilience works for some players, but I am more of a Mobility / Recovery man when I am running Hunter.  There is a good chance you will get finished after your shield breaks if you are retreating and don't have enough Recovery to get back into the fight.  On the rare occasion that I ran Warlock or Titan, a high Resilience was the key to winning 1v1s where I was not the first person to engage.

You know what's better than high Resilience?  Not getting shot first!  Play the maps -> Be a dick -> Shoot early and often. 

I've got two We Ran Out of Medals medals so I consider myself to be in the middle of the D2 PvP pile.   My Destiny Tracker stats probably say that I suck, though, especially since it is been like six months since I last played this game and my retirement is still on track.

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One thing JT didnt mention but I think he agrees with me with - Capture Zones. You may not necessarily have a match where you are getting a ton of kills but if you are playing the objective, you are helping your team

If you are playing Supremacy and you are not picking up crests, you are not helping your team.

If you are playing Control and you are not helping cap zones, you are not helping your team.

If you are playing Survival and you are blundering into ambushes and using up all of your team's lives, you are not help your team.

Play... The.. Fucking.... Objective.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

JT, RIPPA, and Eivion thank you. I will try to focus on one part of what you've told me until I have that down and add more. I have a clan but since I have been gathering materials, which is a pain, I haven't joined in groups for too much. Besides your clan is there another way to find groups for stuff like raids and nightfalls?

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Besides your clan is there another way to find groups for stuff like raids and nightfalls?

XBOX has LFG posts right on the Destiny 2 dashboard so I am assuming the other systems have that too.

Otherwise - find places you are comfortable dealing with people. Like you can find LFG on reddit or the Bungie website

I have started joining the Discords of the streamers I watch all the time because they always have a LFG section - this way you can decide first if you like the community of people. 

I should have been using them more but I kinda just decided to wait till Witch Queen started since there is so much stuff really designed to be done in groups

57 minutes ago, Shadow said:

JT, RIPPA, and Eivion thank you. I will try to focus on one part of what you've told me until I have that down and add more. I have a clan but since I have been gathering materials, which is a pain, I haven't joined in groups for too much. Besides your clan is there another way to find groups for stuff like raids and nightfalls?

https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2/FireteamSearch

Finally on my third try this morning - I was able to get it to progress so I got the final two conversations and get the quest out of my list.

It seems really obvious that they are setting up Dreaming City to be vaulted at the end of Witch Queen

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Finally on my third try this morning - I was able to get it to progress so I got the final two conversations and get the quest out of my list.

It seems really obvious that they are setting up Dreaming City to be vaulted at the end of Witch Queen

That makes zero sense given that there is a standing achievement for completing Last Wish and vaulting DC will make the achievement unobtainable.  Are they going to give everyone credit for finishing the raid, vault DC temporarily and bring it back later, or toss it in some kind of Raids queue?