DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Beyond Light

RIPPA

Well, it did not take Sherlock Holmes to deduce that Savathun is manipulating everyone to cover her ass and protect her from whatever is controlling the Black Fleet.  The fact that it creates the Nightmares from everything and anything kinda clues us in that it really doesn't give a shit about anybody: Fallen, Hive, Cabal, or otherwise.

I'm guessing that the creation of the Hive Ghosts and Hive Guardians isn't much for use against the Guardians as it is an extra buffer between Savathun and whatever is out there.

The running joke is that George Lucas is secretly developing this game since it seems to be following his Star Wars development strategy that the Rule of Cool should supersede everything including logic, continuity, and common sense.

Edited by J.T.

I am enjoying the story FAR more now than I have been the last 2 or 3 years so I don't mind them having to retcon or just totally ignoring things.

It is interesting to wonder how much is them trying to clean up the messes Luke Smith left for them and how much is still throwing him a bone since he is technically the "executive creative director" for the entire Destiny universe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am enjoying the story FAR more now than I have been the last 2 or 3 years so I don't mind them having to retcon or just totally ignoring things.

Everything that is not Uldren Sov = Crow has been pretty good, especially the return of Saint-14.

Bungie just needs to shitcan D2 and move on to a Destinyverse that explores everything that happens after the Guardians make the Last Wish.  Gear and data can't mean so much to people that they'd rather keep them and continue to work in a broken system chock full of game modes that they all despise.

But we're talking about the Destiny community.  The most notorious bunch of collective morons in all of the internet.

Well as we now know - Destiny 3 (or whatever the "next" thing ends up being) is at least 3 more years away since they announced an additional Year to get everything in story wise

The problem with a theoretical Destiny 3 is there really isn't a strong reason for one until the current story is done. The base game modes in strikes, crucible, and gambit would absolutely return. There is no innovation for those they would need an entire new game for. They have been changing and fixing up systems since before Smith was moved out and up so the terrible gameplay ideas he had were pretty much dropped in favor of more sensible changes.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ironically - the conversation with Mara this week is basically Mara saying that the thing that has Savathun spooked is the entity that is controlling the Black Fleet and Mara saying that it isn't evil because it uses the Darkness but it is evil because it does evil things.

Its basically the same thing we have been hearing from Drifter, Eris, and Elsie. The Light and Darkness are mostly just sources of power opposed to actual black and white structures of good and evil. Both can be used for whatever depending on the wielder. 

We do get to see Petra and Crow in a confrontation. Yeah, Crow is totally going to be the one to fuck this up before the season ends. Considering what we know is coming in the Witchqueen I kind of wonder if Crow was Savathun's first experiment in creating her own light bearer. Mara clearly wants to protect Crow from himself. Petra as well though a part of her also still wants to soot him as well. At lest half the Vanguard knows how she feels just going off of when you speak to Crow on his own this week.

Well, if what they are saying is true and Mara has an Ahamkara egg that she plans to hatch so that she can make a wish, you could shitcan this storyline and make Destiny 3 take place in a system where her wish has been granted. 

Technically you should be able to do that now since the Guardians are supposed to have made that wish after destroying Riven, but the devs don't want to enforce the Last Wish since not all players have run or completed the raid.

This is why you don't bind Raid lore with the rest of the game.  It should stand alone on its own.  The best thing about the Vault of Glass is that whatever happened inside the Vault stayed inside the Vault.  Once raids started to become "well, you didn't really beat the bad guys," things started to get stupid.  Like PPV, raiding isn't for everybody and adding a FOMO element to it really fucked things up.

As for the 3 year plan, I'd be in my mid 50's.   I may have to put my console closer to the toilet on IB night.  The bladder ain't what it used to be.

Edited by J.T.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, if what they are saying is true and Mara has an Ahamkara egg that she plans to hatch so that she can make a wish, you could shitcan this storyline and make Destiny 3 take place in a system where her wish has been granted. 

Oh she definitely has an egg

As for the 3 year plan, I'd be in my mid 50's.   I may have to put my console closer to the toilet on IB night.  The bladder ain't what it used to be.

This is how I feel regarding Mass Effect 4

• Like 1

Its interesting and annoying playing Trials via matchmaking. Some people seem to not grasp the concept of revival. Too many people play follow the leader and don't think a bit more for themselves as well. I doubt many, if any, single players will ever be hitting the Lighthouse, but it is nice to at least have some access to Trials loot and another weekly pinnacle.

Edited by Eivion

Actually haven't done Trials yet

Got distracted getting the aspect I never got from last season

Climbing the damn mountain took long than the final boss because when I got the boss I just unloaded shots via Lorentz Driver + Particle Deconstruction and I didn't have to worry about any adds

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Climbing the damn mountain took long than the final boss because when I got the boss I just unloaded shots via Lorentz Driver + Particle Deconstruction and I didn't have to worry about any adds

That boss was such a pain first few times. Now it feel so damn easy every time. I took it out this week with a rocket launcher when it was still over half health. That caught me a pinch off guard. That was the least adds I've ever had to deal with when doing it. I can only imagine how much more ridiculously fast it would have been with a fusion rifle+particle deconstruction combo.

Edited by Eivion

I have a feeling Breach and Clear last season would have nuked it last season too - as I said, I just legit forgot I hadn't done it

Just like doing the Dreaming City stuff this week brought me to the Skull vendors who I haven't been to in over 2 years

On 9/12/2021 at 1:04 AM, Eivion said:

Its interesting and annoying playing Trials via matchmaking. Some people seem to not grasp the concept of revival. Too many people play follow the leader and don't think a bit more for themselves as well. I doubt many, if any, single players will ever be hitting the Lighthouse, but it is nice to at least have some access to Trials loot and another weekly pinnacle.

Hoo boy you weren't kidding on this point. Literally lost one match because on match point, a teammate charged right past my corpse chasing the last opponent only to die as he rounded the corner.

It is nice to start getting some stuff from Trials - weirdly I am happiest that I started checking off some of the Trials medals

I did get the weekly pinnacle. Had gotten up to 4 wins on my card but I started way to late last night to have the time to grind to a 7th win.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:04 AM, Eivion said:

Revives are a tricky thing, though.  

Have you ever seen the last part of Full Metal Jacket where the VC sniper picks off the Marines that try to rescue the wounded?   Same principle.

Follow the leader is usually the best policy because Team Shooting Gets Wins.   Going for a revive can be a dangerous proposal because the enemy team is going to target the dead player's ghost and murder anyone going in for a revive.   This is why getting the first pick in a match is crucial, especially if it is in the open area of a map.

You have to be smart about how and when you go in for a revive.  Sometimes it's best to try to get your own pick first and then try to rescue your buddy while the enemy team doubles back to catch their own revive.

Now you know why people hate the bullet return perk on the Revoker sniper rifle that pretty much rewards you for missing a shot.  You can sit there and camp an enemy ghost and if you miss your shot, you get your bullet back by the time the enemy team regroups and goes for another revive run.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Hoo boy you weren't kidding on this point. Literally lost one match because on match point, a teammate charged right past my corpse chasing the last opponent only to die as he rounded the corner.

That dude broke Rule #1 of Trials play.  Never go in the same direction of your friend's dead ghost.  That is the way to the killbox.  An open invitation to visit sniper alley.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah - I quickly learned that if I go for a revive, my barrier is getting dropped first.

I will say I was expected far worse in terms of matchmaking - I think I only went up against like three stacks twice. Only had mid-match quitters I think twice (and only faced a team once that had someone quit out).

Of course - the one time I got matched with a two stack - they were the worst fucking players ever. I would have been better off playing on my own.

I hated being paired with two stacks when I played Comp.  I knew I was bullet fodder and they were either going to look after each other more than me or go running off in some odd direction and die in seconds.  I had my best runs in Comp either as a solo or as part of a three stack.

I think some of my highest K/D or KA/D affairs came by way of carrying shitty two stacks on my back to the promised land of victory, especially when I was chasing the RTK.  I got really really good with the Jade Rabbit.

Edited by J.T.

It is no surprise that patching things makes them worse.  Another reason to shitcan everything and fast track D3 development.

I could see if the Bungie devs were like the devs for No Man's Sky or 2077 and kept working hard to fix the game and keep it stable, but they are not.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Revives are a tricky thing, though.  

Have you ever seen the last part of Full Metal Jacket where the VC sniper picks off the Marines that try to rescue the wounded?   Same principle.

Follow the leader is usually the best policy because Team Shooting Gets Wins.   Going for a revive can be a dangerous proposal because the enemy team is going to target the dead player's ghost and murder anyone going in for a revive.   This is why getting the first pick in a match is crucial, especially if it is in the open area of a map.

You have to be smart about how and when you go in for a revive.  Sometimes it's best to try to get your own pick first and then try to rescue your buddy while the enemy team doubles back to catch their own revive.

Now you know why people hate the bullet return perk on the Revoker sniper rifle that pretty much rewards you for missing a shot.  You can sit there and camp an enemy ghost and if you miss your shot, you get your bullet back by the time the enemy team regroups and goes for another revive run.

Oh I get it can be tricky, I'm talking more about moments where tis common sense and the best way not to die. Like RIPPA I had someone doing their best to kill one enemy instead of revive them when I was literally right behind them. They could have easily done this w/o getting killed, but instead got themselves dead chasing the last enemy. This was also the guy who had no kills on the team so I was a little miffed that he didn't revive me or the other dude who could actually do something.

Following can be fine, but when people can pincer you so easily it helps to spread out a little.

Telesto breaking again in the season where they empowered fusion rifles seems on point.

• Like 1

I think JT would really like Empress Caiatl

In another example of Bungie randomly hiding the good shit on the lore of random weapons - apparently Caiatl asked Zavala for permission to just nuke the entire Dreaming City

Basically it was "Yeah - all your allies would be dead but so would Savathun"

Zavala obviously said no

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Oh I get it can be tricky, I'm talking more about moments where tis common sense and the best way not to die. Like RIPPA I had someone doing their best to kill one enemy instead of revive them when I was literally right behind them. They could have easily done this w/o getting killed, but instead got themselves dead chasing the last enemy. This was also the guy who had no kills on the team so I was a little miffed that he didn't revive me or the other dude who could actually do something.

I try not to begrudge PvP players in a high stress match.  It's hard to do constructive things when you're getting hit by bullets.

However, this guy sounds like a dumbass with no grasp of match strategy.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Following can be fine, but when people can pincer you so easily it helps to spread out a little.

Only really good teams will attempt pincer attacks and only the confident solo will break off from the other two players to attempt to flank. 

If the entire team catches the guy before he gets a pick, it can turn out badly.  Even if he gets first pick, the other team can still scrag him and catch a revive for their side unless his teammates are there to ambush the other team while he is taking fire.

It can be even worse if the other team wins the 3v2 before the other guy can cover.  That's why you usually see two guys out front and one sniper in the rear in a traditional cover formation.  This is how my team beat Rippa's once during a Comp match.  He had some dumbass on his team that would try to flank, but would get too far ahead of his team and we'd frag his ass easily.  It's hard to win Survival when one idiot is burning up all of your lives trying to win the match in one round.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Spent the afternoon/evening going after Ager's Scepter. Aztec put it best, mentioning how its the best exotic for feeding into a specific subclass. May only be so-so for high level content, but its pretty good otherwise. Curious to see what the catalyst brings to the table next week.

The lore bits about Crow, Uldren, and Mara were nice. Also enjoyed Mara and Ikora commiserating on the respectable and absolutely annoying sides of Crow/Uldren.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

The lore bits about Crow, Uldren, and Mara were nice. Also enjoyed Mara and Ikora commiserating on the respectable and absolutely annoying sides of Crow/Uldren.

I think I am a week behind since I am almost positive I missed one conversation because the one I got was Mara screaming about how Uldren's body was treated by the Guardians (and how Crow was initially treated)