DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Beyond Light

RIPPA

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Long story short, the human consciousness will sometimes reject the Exo frame and requires a reboot so that it can better settle into the neural net.  After a while, the human consciousness should synch with the Exo host.  This should take no more than ten or so resets, making Saint-14 and Banshee-44 the more extreme exceptions.

Huh, always thought the resets were done after the Exos were messed up via whatever circumstances in life. Didn't think it was about the consciousness having trouble settling. Cayde-6's cache mission seemed to hint towards that with him wanting to let the previous Cayde's have their privacy.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Huh, always thought the resets were done after the Exos were messed up via whatever circumstances in life. Didn't think it was about the consciousness having trouble settling. Cayde-6's cache mission seemed to hint towards that with him wanting to let the previous Cayde's have their privacy.

From Destinypedia

Spoiler

Exos are subject to a number of unique medical conditions, being Dissociative Exomind Rejection (DER) and spontaneous Exo reset syndrome.[8] The former is a serious and ultimately fatal cognitive disorder caused by the human mind rejecting its new body, and the latter is an involuntary self-reset that can occur without any immediately apparent cause or warning.

So not all resets are due to DER

Futhermore

Spoiler

However, even this solution was not permanent, as the new generation of Exos fell victim to Dissociative Exomind Rejection.

Clovis I discovered that DER could be staved off by two methods. The first was the "reboot", wiping the mind's memories post-transfer so that it would not remember its old body and so better accept the new one. Despite the term "reboot", also referred to as "resets" or "memory wipes", the process did not actually remove memories and only blocked off associative access to them (as memory engrams were stored in too many areas of the brain to easily locate and delete). While effective, it was not a cure, and the reboot procedure would often be repeated several times over the Exo's life. It would also be used for functional purposes, such as restoring Exos whose minds had become "compromised". Successive reboots cumulatively eroded an Exo's mind and their ability to retain any memories at all, with excessive numbers of reboots causing insanity.[9] Clovis Bray estimated that the maximum number of times an Exo could be safely rebooted was around 20. As reboots did not technically remove any memories, Exos sometimes remembered traces of them, especially for Guardians and some can gain access to these buried memories by purposefully dying or killing themselves. By default, Exos had a number appended to their names that signified the number of reboots they had experienced, with the original human used as the zero-index. Hence, the human Mohammed would be followed by the Exo Mohammed-1, Mohammed-2 after one reset, etc. This number was stored in the Exo's memory as hardware, and so could not be forgotten.

The second method Clovis Bray used to prevent DER was to introduce familiar organic conceits into the Exo's mechanical body, such as the drive to eat or reproduce. While these "humanisms" were not functionally necessary, they nevertheless reduced the chances of DER developing, as without routine feedback from bodily processes the Exo would become convinced those processes had failed and develop severe Cotard delusion. The "humanisms" may extend to certain sensations of discomfort, such as nausea or physical exertion, as Cayde-6 has demonstrated on occasion, though he is not a reliable source.[10][11][12]

(Spoiler tags just due to size)

• Like 1

Going off the estimate that Exos can only be rebooted 20 times - looking at a list of "famous" exos, the only ones to exceed 20 are

Banshee-44 (and we know the reason for that)

Daimos-22 (a Titan in the Red War who sacrificed himself to help refugees flee the Last City)

Nkechi-32 (a Titan who fought at Twilight Gap in the same Lord Shaxx fireteam as Ana Bray that saved the Last City)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Except that isn't exactly what happened (recap of the Lament story book I stole since I wasn't retyping)

True.   I was trying to explain the Banshee-44 anomaly with the Exo lore from Warmind...   not that it matters anymore I suppose.

The number behind an Exo's name designation stands for how many consciousness resets it took for the psyche to accept the neural net, not how many times the consciousness has died.  

Without the Light, the consciousness that inhabits an Exo can only die once.  We saw that with Cayde-6 and the other nameless Exos that were destroyed during the Collapse.

Or at least that's how it used to work.  All that's blown out of the water now.

Edited by J.T.

The next major patch hits Tuesday (Dec 8th) - it is the one that brings the next gen upgrades for those on the new systems (if you are playing on a next gen system - you will need to redownload the full game)

In addition

Prophecy Dungeon returns

You will be able to acquire bounties from vendors via the app (Must be in Orbit, Tower or Offline)

The are thankfully fixing the new mercy rule since it went from one extreme to the other

Also the first IB will be next week... Hoo boy

I don't expect IB to be too bad. Stasis is the new (slightly broken) meta to a degree, but so far things are about what they were before Beyond Light. Most teams are still carried by their top 2-3 players while the all around teams usually involve 2 or more clanmates. Honestly, its more that getting killed via stasis just feels shitty comparatively to the other abilities. Even as Aztec was showing off a Hunter build he was struggling to not say Warlocks are the only broken Stasis class. Hunters and Titans have some nice stuff, but it seems like skill still needs to be involved to make them fully work.

Wasnt't expecting my favorite channel to have a sponsored video about Beyond Light but I also wasn't expecting Microsoft and XBOX to be giving it the hard push (Clearly they want more game pass $$$)

Yeah, the ads for Beyond Light on my Series X are unbelievable.

I think I get a "Hey! You Haven't Logged On In A While!" e-mail at least one a month from Bungie now.  They still haven't gotten the hint.

Edited by J.T.

Hawkmoon quest is available. Its probably best to wait until you are at a certain point in it to do IB as killing Guardians and Champions is a quest step. Gives some insight into Crow's beginnings.

IB so far is about what I expected. Won the first 5-6 matches I had with ease while the next 5-6 have gone horribly so far. Stasis is annoying, but not the worst thing ever. Biggest annoyances are still getting thrown into matches against groups with 3 or more clanmates. Nothing is as terrible to fight against as skilled team work. 

Since you get more progress killing Champions than guardians - most folks seem to just be spamming things like Nightfalls.

Like in Fallouts video - on the higher difficulty of Inverted Spire you get a room earlier on that has 4 champions, kill as many as you can and then wipe (or get killed) and repeat.

What’s interesting is I have seen conflicting info if it’s .5% or 1% credit for killing guardians because that’s a big difference between 100 or 200

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since you get more progress killing Champions than guardians - most folks seem to just be spamming things like Nightfalls.

Like in Fallouts video - on the higher difficulty of Inverted Spire you get a room earlier on that has 4 champions, kill as many as you can and then wipe (or get killed) and repeat.

What’s interesting is I have seen conflicting info if it’s .5% or 1% credit for killing guardians because that’s a big difference between 100 or 200

I find it better to spam IB since it takes forever to finish the pinnacle bounties anyways. Might as well kill two birds with one stone. From what I gathered from Aztec's review Hawkmoon is more of a PvE weapon this time around than a PvP so you don't really need it for IB or Crucible right now. 

Aztec said percentage is .54%. If it was actually 1% I would have been done last night. Instead I'm somewhere between 62-70% (forgot to check before I went to sleep).

Yeah Datto said it was .5 while Fallout said 1 so if Aztec says close to .5 then I am gonna assume that’s the #

I finally started the quest this morning

I do like that they are trying to get people to not play IB with stasis by making this quest be void abilities 

Finished all but one IB bounty. I'll finish it before reset, but I might take a break from IB for a couple of days as the amount I played the last two days has been ridiculous. 

Only have the last mission for Hawkmoon to complete. The Champion/guardian step was finished in IB before I finished the armor quest. 

Apparently Aztecross got a PS5 which now has me somewhat afraid to play Crucible. Honestly, I thought he was an X-box guy. Luckily, I play mostly at ridiculous times at night like now so I figure my chances of running into that hell are low. Actually I'm thinking some of my crappier losses in IB these past two days may have been due to difference in gen based on his review. He basically said last gen is probably a bit fucked in terms of PvP due to framerate difference. I could order a PS5 for an upgrade, but I kind of want to wait 6-8 months to see if whatever issues there are end up worked on. Also figure more games will be available then. Another big thing he mentioned here and in the video from the other day is that crossplay between consoles is coming in 2021.

IB matchmaking really seems to hate me today. I keep getting put into already in progress matches and up against teams with 4 or more clan members.

Also mercy still seems to be broken. I had one called with near 5 minutes left. My team was down 2-1, but a comeback was not impossible or even implausible.

Edited by Eivion

Yeah it is always what I used when playing Survival

You avoid the 4,5 and 6 stacks. Still possible to get shit teammates though (though the bigger IB size is better then when you get 2 clowns in Survival)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah it is always what I used when playing Survival

You avoid the 4,5 and 6 stacks. Still possible to get shit teammates though (though the bigger IB size is better then when you get 2 clowns in Survival)

Getting 2 clowns on your team is only bad if the other team is fairly decent.   I've pulled shit teammates before and still managed to win because all of the members of the other team were complete garbage.

I think I had the worst Countdown team ever and had to pull a victory out of my ass on the last round of a tied match by soloing the entire enemy team.   I armed the charge and then camped it by picking off one asshole on the enemy team and then popping Spectral Blades.  

The bomb exploded while they waited out my timer.   It was the best.  Both of the dipshits on my team sent me clan invitations after the match.  I declined.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, Eivion said:

Its just that first part for Void. Will say that I did noticeable better playing Void than I did when I switched back to Stasis.

Certainly you haven't been so busy freezing people that you have forgotten how people ran in fear at the sound of a Spectral Blades activation.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Certainly you haven't been so busy freezing people that you have forgotten how people ran in fear at the sound of a Spectral Blades activation.

Honestly I suck at using my supers against people. With void its more the invisibility that helps me since I disappear from radar.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly I suck at using my supers against people. With void its more the invisibility that helps me since I disappear from radar.

I only sucked as an Arcstrider in PvP.  I was pretty good at using Blade Barrage as a counter to other player's supers and Spectral Blades was just plain unfair in Survival matches.  Even if I didn't kill anyone with it, the sound of the activation would send the other team into hiding where my team would usually murder them while they were running away.

• Like 1