DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Terrific fun episode this week.  Yes, odd choice for the main, but the Cody promo was fabulous and nicely sets up Darby's big win.  La-La-Loved that ridiculously awesome Cinderella-Hangman-Omega video!  The sitdowns were fun too.  Thoroughly loving Omega's less than subtle conceit and heelish nature.  Feels like a great start to a very special run.  Also, Miro (and Trent) looked good.  Sammy lit up the opener.  Neat Pac vid (cannot wait for arguably their best all around to return).  Bucks-PPs was fun.  Team Taz were great-Superstar Sparks!  Glad to see so many hyped on the Kingston-Mox encounter.  My casual viewing GF caught a bit and was taken aback by this Eddie Kingston gentleman.  I still would've liked to have seen Kingston get a substantial victory prior, but minor complaint.  

Good go home show.  Strongest in awhile.  This is the most excited I've been for a pandemic AEW PPV.  Darby-Cody, Eddie-Mox, and especially FTR-Bucks and Kenny-Hangman.  This is gonna be a blast.  Oh, and Silver-OC!  Feels like John Silver's star is rising not unlike that of OC's a year ago.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6

I know pretty much nobody cares about the Sammy/Hardy match but given that it’s already been taped at the Hardy Compound and last night was live and they didn’t appear to be injured... I’m hopeful they achieved what they wanted to with that match to redeem themselves after the one at All Out.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I hope so too. At the same time: Matt, let it be a swan song and find another role in the industry. Please.

And I'll be saying that when he's still doing nostalgia spots 25 years from now.

There's a time to bow out and not hang around too long. I can see Matt Hardy as a good ideas, creative mind type with Matt Hardy Version 1 and especially Broken Matt Hardy from Impact...fuck that owl!

Checking in late to say that if you have Kingston win the title clean after that build, you're pretty much turning him face, which they probably don't intend to do since at least some of his faction are still clearly heels.

They could have Kingston win via shenanigans to keep him as a heel.  But then who's his first challenger, Page?  Like, they COULD do that, but that doesn't seem like where it's going.  Seems more like we're getting Mox vs. Omega and Kingston vs. Pac next.

• Like 3

On the one hand, that's not great for selling future PPVs (yeah, we're getting other quality content for sure, but that's still something they've avoided up to this point and it's the main event)... But on the other hand, it leads to Kingston being a white hot babyface, which is obviously where he needs to be ASAP.

Didn't TK avoid talking about particulars regarding Pac's return in that Meltzer interview?

Edited by Jiji

33 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm expecting the match to be in a non-main event slot & the finish to be based on PAC shenanigans. Possibly a Death Triangle reunion.

Kingston/Moxley is closing the show according to Khan.

22 minutes ago, Jiji said:

On the one hand, that's not great for selling future PPVs (yeah, we're getting other quality content for sure, but that's still something they've avoided up to this point and it's the main event)

See, I thought the problem was that it would be too similar to last year's Full Gear. AEW Title = Moxley over Kingston via Death Triangle betrayal, Main Event = Kenny vs. Page compared to last year's AEW Title = Jericho over Cody via MJF betrayal, Main Event = Kenny vs. Mox. But if they're running the I Quit Match last then I don't know. A hotshot to Kingston is not out of the question but I don't think he'd hold it very long. I also don't know who would beat him - the only heel he has enough beef with for a title change would be PAC and I just don't see it. And Eddie's story in no way intersects with other speculated future champions like Kenny, Page or MJF.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

If/when Pac and co. turn on Kingston, I feel like that's where you gotta do the Fenix babyface turn too (maybe delayed after showing restraint or something). I know Kingston has said Penta's his best friend (that meme about Kingston sounding like a dog when his owner has treats is great) but we need Fenix as an out and out babyface badly and he's as ready as he's ever going to be. Kingston can make anything work and the fact it was Penta and not Fenix could make it even harder for him to swallow. They've also set-up Penta vs. Fenix II for next week's Dynamite. Wheels in motion perhaps. I would love to see Kingston & Fenix vs. Pac & Penta. I think Pac and Penta is pure evil. I'd like to see a little bit more of an edge on Penta and less cutesy crowd play. Pac could get that out of him. Pentagon's had a weird style arc where he was doing too many moves in AAA/LU, then he went hard the other way and still does a lot at the end of the match but the first half is a lot of shtick/chops/crowd interaction. He hasn't put it together yet. This kind of split would also leave each Lucha Bro with a great talker too short term anyway.

Back to Moxley though, I'm fucking intrigued by the main event more than anything else on the card and this is the first time I can say that about a big Mox title defense. Seems like to me anyway that he's always been overshadowed by something else, whether deliberately (ahem, Cody with the TNT title) or not (Bucks vs. Hangman/Omega at Revolution, Stampede at DoN, Matt Hardy almost dying on live TV at All Out). Omega/Hangman and the Bucks/FTR match have potential to steal the show but the spotlight is on the Moxley, Kingston and the world title. They are going to leave it all out there and I am fuckin' hyped for it.

• Like 3

Just want to point out how amazing the in-ring camera work for the Mox/Kingston dueling promo was and even the Team Tazz bitchfest. They really are putting attention to detail in that shit because it doesn't just happen. The blocking in the first segment was fire and in the second you had this perfect symmetry for the trio. Super work. Like, Kingston turning his back so he wouldn't hit Moxley was done for not just dramatic effect but it was logical. 

• Like 6

I thought this was a perfectly good go home show. I would love to for Eddie to pick up the win so we can get a rubber match between him and Moxly. Maybe have him drop the title to Page between this and the rubber match.

The main event was fine, in hindsight ending with the Eddie/Mox promo might have been stronger but this served its purpose to push Cody/Darby and Silver OC.