DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

The St. Paul Saints have a pig as their mascot every year. They generally name it after some sort of trending media topic.

This year's mascot? Little Red Porkette.

Other Prince-related names submitted included Raspiggy Beret, Paisley Pork (which would have been awesome), and The Mascot Formerly Known as Swine.

• Like 3

That's like watching one of my 13 year old nephew's games. Though it's more like:

First batter walks, next man up.

Ball 1, runner steals second. Ball 2, runner steals third. Wild pitch, runner steals home. Ball 4, repeat sequence.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elizium said:

That's like watching one of my 13 year old nephew's games. Though it's more like:

First batter walks, next man up.

Ball 1, runner steals second. Ball 2, runner steals third. Wild pitch, runner steals home. Ball 4, repeat sequence.

maxresdefault.jpg

By way of introduction, I'm what you call your basic versatile ball-thrower.

21 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

Local minor league team did "kids day" today (bulk discounts for camps and such). It was also "thirsty Thursday", where beers are $2. And it was a 10:30 AM start.

This is how it ended.

I need to post an addendum to this.

On Wednesday, they also won on shrimp. The bottom o the ninth went single, bunt, walk, walk, walk. Different pitcher, though.

MINOR! LEAGUE! BASEBALL!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Meanwhile, in Japan...

Unfortunately they all tested positive for formaldehyde and were suspended for the rest of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Seinfeld Night 3 at MCU Park the other night and saw the final World Baseball Classic qualifiers will be there in September with Brazil, Great Britain, Israel and PAKISTAN. Price is right ($15) and I think the entertainment value of an Israel/Pakistan qualifier should be off the charts great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night at the Brooklyn Cyclones game a guy scored on a sac fly... from first base. Outfielder injured himself on the catch and before anyone could tend to him the opportunistic baserunner circled the bases. Does anyone recall this ever happening in a pro game before (I'm assuming it has but I'll be damned if I can recall it)?

In addition to some incredible artwork and voice-over work, it turned the genre of buddy cartoon comedy on its head. The ideas it explored were new. It was a rebellion against everything animated that had come before it.  It changed the dynamic of interactions between two existing tropes and made them into two new paradigms. It led the revolution of animation that came in the 90's (Beavis, Daria, and everything on Nickelodeon, including and especially Spongebob).  Not to mention that almost all of Adult Swim programming today is influenced by Ren & Stimpy, 20+ years later.  

If you want to just see in what regards you should hold R&S.  Look at the Simpsons.... John K. hit them repeatedly during the 90's, at their height.  They basically never took a real swipe back.  In fact, they show a clip in one episode (the Big Brother/Little Brother one) where the characters are laughing hysterically at them.  That's respect. 

Don't ever kid yourself, R&S was absolute genius.  

• Like 4

I was writing a popular culture for the student paper and had decided to do something on Nick's first original cartoons that week, which were Doug, Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy. The first two were okay but the metatext in R&S blew me away, from billy west's larry fine voice to spoofing the claasic HB cartoons. I didnt know about John K's history, except maybe his working on Mighty Mouse. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bittersweet finish to the season for the High Desert Mavericks, as they sweep the Visalia Rawhide to win the California League in their final game before being contracted as part of a California/Carolina League realignment.