DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Trenton had a batdog when we went a few years ago too. It was like 95 degrees out and he was an older dog so he only worked the first inning.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:31 AM, Pete said:

Batshit crazy statline is batshit crazy. People are already calling it the greatest performance in the history of baseball. 

NXT LVL showed this game last night and I just finished watching it.  Man, they couldn't hit him.  IS THIS THE NEW NOLAN RYAN? or the new Mark "The Bird" Fidrych?  That was fucking great.

Oh man, he did it with a 105 pitches.  The crowd for the 9th inning is magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

@DEANneeds to explain this NXT LVL channel to me.

Also, this.

NXT LVL is a strange sports channel at the tail end of the sports band on Verizon.  They show Japanese baseball without commentary, so it's awesome.  They also show OVW and Italian basketball so I can follow Troy Daniels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Pete said:

Trenton had a batdog when we went a few years ago too. It was like 95 degrees out and he was an older dog so he only worked the first inning.

Trenton's had several batdog's over time.  They still do, even though it's a Draft League team now and not AA (fucking Hal).  At least they finally have a full schedule this year.

Roki Sasaki had another perfect game going after eight innings but the coach pulled him with the game tied 0-0 in the 9th. Still, that means he's tossed 17 straight perfect innings.

Update: Looking at it now, Sasaki had already thrown over a hundred pitches going into the 9th so that's probably why he got pulled. The reliever technically completed a no-hitter but a man got on base during a uncaught third strike. Then the next reliever gave up a solo homer in the tenth so Lotte loses and Sasaki gets a no decision.

Edited by lostinube

22 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Congrats to the next WWE NIL signee

Man, I would love about 3 more minutes of footage here.  Give us the whole AB and then another 30 or 40 seconds after the guy steps on the plate.  

I gotta say, though, I've never seen THAT before in a baseball game.

• Like 2

For the record - the pitcher was suspended and thrown off the team

The batter got a two game suspension and pretty much anyone else in a 5 mile radius got some sort of suspension

A Texas junior college pitcher who tackled an opposing batter after a home run is no longer with the team, the school announced Thursday.

Weatherford College pitcher Owen Woodward received a four-game suspension from the North Texas Junior College Athletic Conference, while the batter, North Central Texas College's Josh Phillips, was suspended for two games because he was ejected for taunting.

Several others from both teams also were suspended because of the resulting brawl, the conference said.

Online video of the play showed Phillips rounding third after his sixth-inning home run, only to have Woodward charge off the mound and level him with a violent blow to the midsection. Several players then charged onto the field.

The conference handed out most of its punishment for the North Central Texas program because of the players who ran onto the field after the hit. The conference suspended for two games "all team members for NCTC that were in the dugout or bullpen" and any assistant coaches who stepped onto the field. It also suspended four additional Weatherford players and assistant coaches for two games.

Weatherford officials said Woodward received additional discipline but declined to reveal details, citing privacy laws.

North Central Texas said in a statement Friday that it plans to appeal the suspensions.

Wednesday's game was the first of a four-game series between the two schools. Both teams were ordered to forfeit Wednesday's game, and North Central Texas has forfeited Games 2 and 3 because it did not have enough players to field a team after the suspensions, the conference said.

Game 4 is scheduled for Saturday.

"We are shocked and disappointed at what happened in our game today," Weatherford coach Jeff Lightfoot said after the game. "We do not condone this type of behavior. We have worked hard to build a program with the highest of standards. We are completely embarrassed by this incident, and we apologize to North Central Texas College and the fans of WC baseball. This type of behavior cannot be tolerated."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And y'all want robot umps. . . 

I'm gonna need context since the tweet the guy is commenting on has been deleted.

Here is another version

This one isn't as good because it starts after the first pitch was thrown

The minor leagues have become a sort of training ground for experimenting with new rules, including one that requires batters to keep a foot in the box at all times during an at-bat. Pitchers must deliver a pitch within 14 seconds with bases empty and 18 seconds with runners on, but batters must also be ready to hit within nine seconds left on the pitch clock.

In the video, you can see that Diaz keeps a foot in the box the entire time. Seven seconds elapse from when the pitcher receives the ball to when the umpire steps out to issue a called strike. Diaz has two feet in the box by this time, but apparently wasn’t deemed ready to hit.

Personally - the above clip isn't the "best" in being all THIS IS TERRIBLE~! example that people want it to be because based on the rules established, the batter clearly was slow getting reset.

HOWEVER - I do think it was horseshit that he was called out and that there should be a little bit of leeway given, at least on 2 strikes, especially if the batter stayed in the box like he is supposed to.

I have a feeling - like with all rule changes in all sports - the umps (or refs in other sports) are being told to enforce it really really strictly at the start of the season and things will start to normalize more as the season goes on

(My feelings on the necessity of all the new measures is a different issue specifically at hand here)

Without seeing the pitch clock itself, I can't say if the batter violated that or not but he was clearly not ready when the automatic strike was called.

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

Without seeing the pitch clock itself, I can't say if the batter violated that or not but he was clearly not ready when the automatic strike was called.

The twitter folks that timed it said he took 7 seconds before the automatic strike was called. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The twitter folks that timed it said he took 7 seconds before the automatic strike was called. 

Then he took too long.  The hitter is supposed to be ready with 9 seconds left.  With nobody on base, it's a 14-second clock, so he had 5 seconds to get ready - and he still wasn't ready after 7.

TL;DR - correct call by ump.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Minor League baseball fucking rules:

The BLUE Wahoos are somehow NOT the team wearing BLUE. I'm so confused.