DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

A better idea would be to stop bringing in all these stupid and vapid guest commentators and actually let me watch and pay attention to the freaking games. Seriously I don't need a quarter of my screen taking up by head shots of yammering idiots, LET ME WATCH THE FUCKING GAME I TUNED IN TO WATCH YOU FUCKING BABBLING MORONS.

Agreed.  I'm turning the sound off way too often.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Remember when Harvey was all believing he really was THE DARK KNIGHT~    

lol

I have a real problem with people shitting on him because he was murdered by our fans for wanting to be on a pitch limit, got shamed into ignoring it and his career ended up being destroyed. The fact that the Wilpons couldn't throw a bone to a guy who destroyed his career for that 2015 pennant speaks to what trash they are.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Great article on uniwatch today about a new book on Japanese ball caps.

the writer appears also own a place in Osaka called Ballpark Bar.

@gordi, have you been there? 

I have not.

Looks like a fun place, though.

There may literally be hundreds of cool little theme bars in Osaka, dotted all over the entertainment districts. I was once taken to a pro wrestling theme bar called Bar Brody which looked pretty similar to Ballpark Bar and served pretty good nachos, but it is now sadly closed. Bar 2.99 (ni ten kyuu kyuu - as in a ref counting a near-fall), across from the old Osaka Pro arena, is still open. I sometimes go to the MMA-themed bar A-Toys with Kuuga and his friends. There are at least two very fun pro wrestling bars in Nagoya, both of which sometimes host shows (assuming neither has closed in the past couple of years). I can't imagine how many little wrestling bars there must be in Tokyo. I still haven't been to Rivera Steak House. In my home prefecture of Nara, there is a ramen restaurant owned by former NOAH champion Rikio. I tried to go once but it was closed that day.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

Add Indianapolis to the list of clubs exploring an identity change. Come for the proposed names, stay for the "BETTER CHANGE THE CITY NAME TOO DUR HUR" whackamoles.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Japanese baseball telecasts on Eleven Sports.  It's just the games without annoucers.  After a few innings, I get so mellow that it's like I'm smoking weed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some MiLB info- the Midwest League and Florida State League will trade levels, with the MWL advancing to Class A-Advanced and FSL dropping to Class A.

The Yankees are going about realignment in the most Yankee way possible.

Reading the Staten Island section, it appears the Yankees threw them under the bus, backed it over the corpse a few more times and then did some victory donuts for good measure. 

The Trenton folks (who allegedly heard their dismissal over social media) are about as sanguine as you would expect.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Some MiLB info- the Midwest League and Florida State League will trade levels, with the MWL advancing to Class A-Advanced and FSL dropping to Class A.

The Yankees are going about realignment in the most Yankee way possible.

Reading the Staten Island section, it appears the Yankees threw them under the bus, backed it over the corpse a few more times and then did some victory donuts for good measure. 

The Trenton folks (who allegedly heard their dismissal over social media) are about as sanguine as you would expect.

The people in Trenton are the ones I feel really bad for because they got screwed. SI was a lost cause because of the stadium location: while a good idea in theory it ended up a disaster because it is very difficult for most of SI to drive up to the top of the island and to make matters worse the parking is entirely inadequate. Been hearing for the past year + that it's going to be torn down to build retail or housing.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

The people in Trenton are the ones I feel really bad for because they got screwed. SI was a lost cause because of the stadium location: while a good idea in theory it ended up a disaster because it is very difficult for most of SI to drive up to the top of the island and to make matters worse the parking is entirely inadequate. Been hearing for the past year + that it's going to be torn down to build retail or housing.

I thought the idea behind the location was that people would take buses or SIR to the games... I know the MTA was supposed to run extra trains on game days, plus it was theoretically in range for people in lower Manhattan to hop on the ferry as I did a couple of times. Agreed about Trenton- we had a ball at the one game we took in there. They have a first class organization and I hope they land on their feet.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a lot of other changes besides the Yankee ones

Rochester is the new AAA affiliate of the Nats

The reason Rochester was available was because the Twins are making the St Paul Saints (from the American Association indy league) their AAA team

The third indy team to become a major league affiliate (besides Somerset and St Paul) are the Sugar Land Skeeters who were purchased by the Astros and are now Houston's AAA affiliate

On 11/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, Pete said:

I thought the idea behind the location was that people would take buses or SIR to the games... I know the MTA was supposed to run extra trains on game days, plus it was theoretically in range for people in lower Manhattan to hop on the ferry as I did a couple of times. Agreed about Trenton- we had a ball at the one game we took in there. They have a first class organization and I hope they land on their feet.

I'm pretty much 15 minutes down the highway from Arm & Hammer, so I'm hoping someone affiliates with them, because in non-COVID times, I took in a LOT of Thunder games, since the start of the team when it was a Detroit then Boston affiliate.  For being as pissy as they are, they haven't started taking down all the Yankee's signage... yet.

I can't imagine someone doesn't grab them as an affiliate, considering it's proximity to major highways, a regional airport, and 2 International Airports.

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Rochester is the new AAA affiliate of the Nats

The reason Rochester was available was because the Twins are making the St Paul Saints (from the American Association indy league) their AAA team

Well there goes all the complaining about the Nats being "forced" to have a AAA team on the West Coast...

(And as a longtime O's fan I still remember Rochester being the O's AAA team)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Raziel said:

https://twitter.com/TrentonThunder/status/1333426866691190789

So, looks like MLB's doing a 6 team "Draft League", which seems to be the holding place for Draft Eligible players pre-Draft.  I mean, it's not AA ball, but I'll take it.

Is this a big deal or no?  I couldn't really gauge it from the press release.

I'm curious because one of the six teams is the WV Black Bears located in Morgantown, WV.  I lived in Morgantown while I was in college (West Virginia University).

The Black Bears were a Pirates farm team (Single A, short season) and drew rather well for the size of the area,  Kinda concerned not being affiliated with the Pirates will kill interest,

13 hours ago, Eoae said:

Is this a big deal or no?  I couldn't really gauge it from the press release.

It is in that it is MLB finally putting together some sort of system to get all top draft eligible players in one place for all the teams to scout easier.

Think of it like the NFL Combine or the NBA Draft Combine (which I think is now called the G League Camp or something like that)

It is closer to the NBA one since guys will actually be playing games against each other.

In MLB terms - it is an Arizona Fall League for dudes who haven't been drafted yet

(And that isn't even mentioning that this is probably better for the 6 teams participating than them moving to an indy league)

• Thanks 1