DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Tag League 2020 & Best of the Super Jr. 27

The Z

Probably the best night so far last night, I enjoyed everything, with the main event, SHO/Robbie and Despy/Uemura really standing out to me. Not that I'm happy Kanemaru missed due to injury, but like last year with Narita, the fiery young lion matches are so much fun to watch.

I'm a huge Eagles fan, but the Robbie Robbie Robbie chant made me cringe. Please stop. I don't think he is turning either...how far off is YOH from returning? He could be one i could see maybe joining The Empire.

I really hope that's last we see of Taguchi's ass...

• Like 1

I think Yoh should be back by spring. As for the tournaments, I think that WTL is actually good this year, not that we get one or two decent matches like previous years, but that overall WTL shows are enjoyable. BotSJ suffers a bit that asides of Eagles we have seen plenty of action with other 7 guys so it doesn't feel as fresh as previous junior tournaments that usually would bring either new guys or some that we haven't seen for a while.

Desperado just dropped the wrestling equivalent of Ether on Wato! Really pulling for Desperado, his promo on Hiromu the other night was great trash talking. "A submission, you won't forget that one anytime soon".

I think also not having everyone wrestling every night has helped guys cut loose more. They are getting more off days between shows, I felt it helped a lot in the G1 as well.

From the last few days the matches that really stood out to me were Hiromu-Uemura, Wato-Desperado, Ishimori-Uemura, Hiromu-DOUKI, Desperado-SHO, CHAOS-LIJ, and Henare and Tanahashi-EVIL and Yujiro. Surprised Eagles is eating so many losses up front but I imagine he is in a holding pattern until he can join The Empire?

Master Wato is tied with Hiromu and Ishimori for the lead! Way to the Grandmaster!

Edited by Six String Orchestra

Finals will be Hiromu vs Desperado and GoD vs Finlay/Juice. We also got a strong hint that Shingo/Cobb for NEVER title might be happening at WK.

From the last show Finlay/Juice vs Goto/Yoshi was very fucking good. In general Finlay had an outstanding tournament and they deserve to win this, again.

Finlay pinned Shingo as well earlier in the tournament, after the Finals I could see him challenge Shingo on one of the nights for WK.

When they said a Goto/Yoshi-Hashi win meant a three way tie i wanted that to happen instead. 

Guessing Hiromu and GoD are winning. Hopefully we get a clearer picture of Wrestle Kingdom's double cards. 

Full card announced:

1ST MATCH 30 MINUTES LIMIT  Toru Yano/Robbie Eagles/SHO vs Bad Luck Fale/Chase Owens/Taiji Ishimori

2ND MATCH 30 MINUTES LIMIT Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Toa Henare vs Will Ospreay/Great-O-Khan/Jeff Cobb

3RD MATCH 30 MINUTES LIMIT SANADA/Shingo Takagi vs Yujiro Takahashi/EVIL

4TH MATCH 30 MINUTES LIMIT Master Wato/Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito/BUSHI

5TH MATCH NO TIME LIMIT DOUBLE MAIN EVENTⅠ/WORLD TAG LEAGUE 2020 FINALS Tama Tonga/Tanga Loa vs Juice Robinon/David Finlay

6TH MATCH NO TIME LIMIT DOUBLE MAIN EVENTⅡ/BEST OF THE SUPER Jr. 27 FINALS Hiromu Takahashi vs El Desperado

Hiromu Takahashi would be fine if he was just a great workrate guy / madman character. He'd still be an elite workrate guy in the elite-est workrate company, he'd still produce around half-a-dozen classics a year. What blows me away about the man, the thing that really puts him over-the-top, is that he also might be the best guy in NJPW when it comes to incorporating storylines into his matches. Despy deserves just as much credit for what happened in today's match, which will certainly be a strong MOTYC most places you ask, but Hiromu has been doing this kind of extra story work all year.

His IWGP match with EVIL wasn't just better than both the Naito matches, it was Hiromu's pained screaming during his challenge that made the betrayal and the match mean that much more.. His run as Junior Heavyweight ace in the NJ Cup made for the most interesting matches in the tournament, his tag stuff w/ BUSHI is some of the most underrated stuff I've seen all year (lot of good face/heel work w/ Suzuki-gun), he sold his shoulder like a pro when Ishimori needed to be more heelish in his title win. Pre-pandemic he and Lee did a great job playing off the neck injury, his comeback story against Ospreay was as electric and sincere as anything I've seen in 2020. His work is so good he doesn't need to have this bombastic character. He doesn't need Daryl or the BosJ Official Crayon Strategy Guide or his Vlogs or a catchphrase or thinking that Will Ospreay is a cat or maintaining constantly evolving personal storylines with the majority of the Junior Heavyweight roster. He just does it anyway, because he's the fucking best.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching these interviews is awesome. I've never seen a team that seems to match so well speaking different languages, as if each knows exactly what the other is saying. I think that isn't the case but I could be wrong... and the doubt is what's so great about it. 

Keep the IWGP Tag Team Championship on Dangerous Tekkers for a long time. The tag team division been helped this year by them and Golden Ace, shame their run with the gold was brief. Thought at one point they'd go into Wrestle Kingdom 15 with them.