DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Since AEW is on TNT, could they use the Turner stock music library? Like could someone come out to the Hollywood Blondes, Dungeon of Doom or NWO themes?

I’d mark right the fuck out if Brodie came out to that DoD track. “SILVEEERRRR, my son”

The Beaver Boys coming out to "American Males" would be the best fucking thing ever.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I can shed a little light on this, I've wrestled in WCW rings, TNA rings, WWE ring, & ECW rings (not the companies, just rings that originated there).

-The WCW ring was the best feeling one of them all. They had 16 foot rings and 18 foot rings. But they were custom to WCW. They didn't bounce like a trampoline, but the bump was soft. The ropes felt like planks of wood, which was great to spring off of but would give a little when you hit them. I'd liken the bump to amateur wrestling mats placed on top of pillows. Solid impact, but lots of absorption.

-The newer WWE rings bump pretty good (post 1998). But they are 20 foot and a little springy when you run. You also get tired taking 4 square feet more on every send off exchange if you aren't adapted to it. The ropes suck because they're real rope. They bend a lot and don't give you nearly the spring cable ropes do. Which means they break a lot more often than cable. WWE ropes are a little higher than any other brand as well, which is probably why extremely short dudes like Rey Mysterio find it more comfortable to rebound off the middle rope instead of stretching upward to hit the top rope right.

-ECW rings are what transformed into Highspots rings and get sold to most indy companies these days. Cable ropes. Good bump. 18 foot by 18 foot. Very springy while you run tho. Now AEW decided to use the Highspots / ECW style ring but custom make them themselves so they could make them 20x20 like WWE. They get the benefit of a trampoline like landing, but running on it has to be hell on your knees. The extra 4 square feet means the boards are longer and bend more in the middle amplifying the bouncing effect that was already high on Highspot rings. There's no way bumping on this ring hurts more than a New Japan ring tho. New Japan rings are pretty solid. Like a full on platform with just an amateur wrestling mat. I think Kenny's complaint isn't that it hurts more per say, but that it's so springy that it bumps completely differently and you have to take the bumps differently because of it or else your landing can fuck you up.

-Worst of all tho are the 6 sided TNA rings. For fuck's sake man. Bumping in that felt like bumping in an empty parking spot. No give what so ever because of the extra tension from a hexagon shape. No bounce. No give. I'd rather take a suplex on the god damn floor. The ropes were also so god damn tight hitting them felt like it was going to slice through your torso. Awful.

I'd be ok with lucha style bumping being brought into AEW if that helps prevent injuries.

With the signing of Top Flight, AEW could probably run a full-on BOSJ with about as much talent as NJPW pre-pandemic could.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Their tag division is absolutely loaded, and then add in the unsigned teams on Dark too? Jeeeeesus fucking christ. I really wish they'd go this hard at the women's division, but most of the indie talent are probably on the tier zero payscale until AEW/the EVPs are ready to commit to them. And I've said this elsewhere, but I'm fine with Dark being the show where these ladies that are pretty green (but show potential) get a lot of their reps in. Nobody needs to see Lady Frost on national TV yet, but on Dark? That's perfect.

I'm hoping that when ever the second show gets on the air they use it to spotlight the womens title/divison they way that Dynamite has spotlighted the TNT title

10 hours ago, ka-to said:

I always see this and don't know what is meant. Both are solid. Cable is woven from wire and rope is woven from string, yet when I get close to a ring the ropes are rubber hose, possibly wire reinforced.

WCW rings had "ropes" made out of cable under the rubberhose, WWF/WWE has ropes made out of rope wrapped in tape I belive

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was the best BTE in awhile. Never heard of the Paqui Chip Challenge but It looks brutal. I rewound the sound of Trent puking six or seven times because I'm weird like that. Would make a great sample on a goregrind record...

Also: KRIS STATLANDER!!!

The Paqui chip has been a thing for a while now. There's tons of YouTube videos with people eating them and going through what you expect someone to go through after eating something incredibly hot.

I'm one of those weirdos who gets a rush out of eating spicy things. It's fun for whatever reason...until it isn't. The chip is not as bad as eating a Carolina Reaper, but it's pretty fucking bad. At first I got the rush of eating something spicy. It's like a burst of energy. Then it just kept getting exponentially hotter and hotter. My face started tingling and my lips felt numb. And then after about 10 minutes it passed and I was pretty ok.

On another note, Paqui makes ghost pepper tortilla chips. Basically really, really spicy Doritos. Those things are great.

• Like 2

@NoFistsJustFlipsis the real MVP for providing that amazing breakdown of ring styles.

I did some Googling and apparently some wrestlers like ropes better because they're not as stiff?  I have no idea why WWE still uses ropes.  Of all the traditions and old school stuff they've done away with, and they kept that?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Paqui chip has been a thing for a while now. There's tons of YouTube videos with people eating them and going through what you expect someone to go through after eating something incredibly hot.

I'm one of those weirdos who gets a rush out of eating spicy things. It's fun for whatever reason...until it isn't. The chip is not as bad as eating a Carolina Reaper, but it's pretty fucking bad. At first I got the rush of eating something spicy. It's like a burst of energy. Then it just kept getting exponentially hotter and hotter. My face started tingling and my lips felt numb. And then after about 10 minutes it passed and I was pretty ok.

On another note, Paqui makes ghost pepper tortilla chips. Basically really, really spicy Doritos. Those things are great.

They apparently had the One Chip Challenge at convenience stores around here but sold out super quick.  I'll just buy mine online.  It was funny seeing them all doing the challenge and I got a kick out of Ricky's slight-of-hand that backfired on him.  They've had some really fun segments the past couple weeks which is cool to see what kind of team-building stuff they're doing while being in one location every week.  But the ghost pepper chips are delightful and I should consider getting them soon.

apparently WWE tried to sign Ricky Starks immediately after his match with Cody that night after never once contacting him previously. Starks rightfully chalks this up to them knowing AEW had interest and offered him a contract, so they tried to swoop in.

• Like 1

Eddie confirmed they did the same with him.  And Ben Carter was signed up pretty quickly after his little run as unsigned talent on AEW TV.  Imagine WWE’s disappointment when they tried to hit up Top Flight last week, only to find out they were already signed.

Warhorse is somewhere wondering if he missed a call.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm into Will Hobbs in Team Taz, I see the criticisms of turning him though. AEW does not lack for heels while top babyfaces, especially POC, are less common. Mox, Cody, Darby, and Hangman are it for faces so having Hobbs on that level would have been a welcome addition. Perhaps the idea is to Rock/NoD him to stardom but he seemed plenty hot already.

Not surprising WWE tries to snap people up after they appear on Dynamite, Vince has always been a talent stealer and now more than ever they seem content to mess with AEW's momentum more than anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They might have implemented this after Starks and Eddie, but Cody said on the aew podcast that now the Indy guys they bring in to try out are given multi show contracts and they have a first dibs clause. Maybe now they at least have the right to match any offer. Makes sense. 

I also really liked seeing Hobbs out there as a face but I’m fine watching it play out. 

• Like 2

I don't know where this belongs, but Renee's new podcast, Oral Sessions, had Moxley as the first guest and that episode is an instant classic. Among the things Moxley talked about:

• Doing a bunch of coke and going to the library
  • Kids, go to the library because they just give you shit for free
  • Getting busted trying to steal a Playstation
  • Sleeping in jeans because you always have to be ready to go
  • He wears combat boots because they're the perfect running shoe

Basically, we've done a poor job of fantasizing what Jon is really like because none of us could have imagined any of this.

• Haha 5

Just now, Flair’s Shadow said:

Ok....

So where does Tessa Blanchard end up?

Since I’m 0-12 in announcing her arrival to AEW just wondering what you all thinking on where Blanchard ends up and when.

We already said. Konnan and the Crash. Or WWE because clearly they don't give a fuck looking at some of the people on their roster.

• Like 1