DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is a really punchable-looking pair of guys. Might make for a tag team?

They had a Tag Match on Sammy's YouTube channel. Sammy & Ricky vs Mop & Broom. It was really good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If lead-ins still matter in 2020, AEW really needs TNT to help a little more.  I know I’ve seen the last five minutes of The Equalizer at least three times now.  I liked the movie when I saw it years ago but I feel like everyone who wanted to see it has already.

AEW would be better off if TNT just started re-airing episodes of The Closer. Maybe they somehow don't have the rights to that show anymore?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If lead-ins still matter in 2020, AEW really needs TNT to help a little more.  I know I’ve seen the last five minutes of The Equalizer at least three times now.  I liked the movie when I saw it years ago but I feel like everyone who wanted to see it has already.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL THEY RE-AIRED THE EQUALIZER AFTER DYNAMITE AND I DIED

• Haha 6

On 11/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, Flair’s Shadow said:

Kenta was the one who busted up Moxley’s nose. 

NJPW and AEW has finally come together.

Omega leader of a cross promotional new Bullet Club.

Buckle up!

Weren't you supposed to stop?

• Thanks 2

It’s probably my fault!  But, in fairness, this is at least something fresh and not the same MJF/4 Horsemen prediction ad infinitum.

And KENTA *is* in the US right now.  He could run an angle with Moxley on 12/2 to heat up their Wrestle Kingdom match, and both of them would still have enough time to make it to Japan and quarantine in time for the Korakuen shows at the end of the month.  Push the angle to 12/9, and they could still be ready for the Dome.

Just sayin’!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EVA said:

And KENTA *is* in the US right now.

. . . 

Just sayin’!

It really isn’t THAT far fetched at all, especially in the crazy times we’re in. Look at all the NWA women’s title crossover. Don Callis on Dynamite. Tanahashi shouting out Jericho’s anniversary. Etc etc

Kenta has the briefcase and is not booked on the tag league/super jr tour. Mox did mention being a champion on 2 continents and AEW has often acknowledged the larger wresting continuity.

Edited by bodyslamdunk
  • Like 1

Kenta costing Moxley the match and costing Kenny his clean win in his "real" wrestling match with Moxley could be cool, I like the idea of Kenny not being satisfied cuz he still didn't beat Moxley fair and square. So we still get Dickhead Kenny but he's champ now but it does set up they expectation that Kenta is gonna have at least 2 programs in AEW one with Moxley one with Kenny and if those don't happen there's gonna be dissatisfied fans who will lose trust in AEW if they don't deliver.

Much like DQs, I don't think they have an interference finish to a title match. If they were going to, now would be the time since it's on TV for free, but I do feel like they've respected titles up to this point and would avoid diminishing their importance and value by having goofy finishes. Kenta signaling a working relationship with NJPW would be a big enough gift to the fanbase that they'd be absolutely fine but I still feel like it's not something TK has shown us to this point. But then again, I thought the Omega/Moxley title match would be on PPV so what the fuck do I know? ?‍♂️

16 hours ago, Jiji said:

Much like DQs, I don't think they have an interference finish to a title match. If they were going to, now would be the time since it's on TV for free, but I do feel like they've respected titles up to this point and would avoid diminishing their importance and value by having goofy finishes.

While the match did go on a bit afterward, there was interference in a title match on this past Wednesday's show. 

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

While the match did go on a bit afterward, there was interference in a title match on this past Wednesday's show. 

Good point. And they've treated the NWA title as an equal to their own title, so that's very valid. We'll see. I don't hate the idea of interference but Moxley has beaten pretty much every singles competitor in the company that matters and if you want to establish Omega as a big deal in America, I'm not sure if this is the time for a wonky or anything less than a decisive finish. They've established Moxley can beat Omega in a garbage match with the obvious counterpoint being Omega can beat him in a wrestling match. But I get it if this is their way of going over the top, full on and obvious heel with Omega. 

I know I shouldn't, but I would love if they had a rubber match at Revolution under a three stages of hell type stipulation. One straight wrestling match, one garbage match, and then something gimmicky as the rubber of the rubber match. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Good point. And they've treated the NWA title as an equal to their own title, so that's very valid. We'll see. I don't hate the idea of interference but Moxley has beaten pretty much every singles competitor in the company that matters and if you want to establish Omega as a big deal in America, I'm not sure if this is the time for a wonky or anything less than a decisive finish. They've established Moxley can beat Omega in a garbage match with the obvious counterpoint being Omega can beat him in a wrestling match. But I get it if this is their way of going over the top, full on and obvious heel with Omega. 

I don't really have a dog in this specific fight. I just don't think they should be afraid to use tools like interference, DQs, count-outs, etc. And in regards to interference finishes in title matches, they've already waded into those waters several times. So I'm just being a jerk and contradicting you with examples of such. 

A couple other examples would be Hager stopping Darby's coffin drop attempt in the no DQ title match vs Jericho and Arn and Silver getting involved in the finish of the Cody-OC title match (and I'll certainly give you Cody-OC as a "goofy finish" match). There was also plenty of interference in Jericho-Mox, even though it didn't affect the finish. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.

Not sure if they've had interference lead to a title change yet (I'm trying to remember if Tully did anything to ensure FTR's win, but I'm drawing a blank), but I don't think they should be afraid of that either. Whether that's the right play for Omega vs Moxley, I leave that to other people to be the judge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I know I shouldn't, but I would love if they had a rubber match at Revolution under a three stages of hell type stipulation. One straight wrestling match, one garbage match, and then something gimmicky as the rubber of the rubber match. 

The first three stages of hell match is one of HHH's best matches of his career, and it is not a terrible concept for Mox-Kenny (especially when there's a contrast between the two characters). I have thought of a traditional two out of three falls match between them at Revolution, but throwing a gimmick match or two in the mix likely helps Mox. I will say that no matter the outcome on December 2nd, there will be a re-match at Revolution. Even though AEW has not done it yet, and I like the first big singles match to be on a PPV and not TV, it makes sense here as a rubber match in the series (assuming Omega wins the title).

To be fair, it could be any number of us.

And @Big Z, I agree with you on that first three stages of hell match. It's Triple H's second best match of his career behind only the Royal Rumble classic with Foley imo and I think it may even be Austin's second best behind WM13, though I think the immense nature of X7 and its historical significance probably pushes it ahead of three stages of hell. It's fucked up that a fan tossing a full can of beer at Triple H but hitting Austin's head is the first thing I think of when looking back at that match though. It seems to me though that the stipulation could really complement the story being told between Mox and Kenny and it's fresh.

• Like 1

For those of you who are Observer subscribers, Alex and Dave had a great and really informative interview with Kenny. Go out of you way to listen to it if you can. Here's some of the main things I remember from it:

• Kenny physically sounds like he's a wreck. He's avoiding surgery on his labrum and tries to rehab it and his back, knees, and neck each week. Some of that sounds like it may be the usual shit wrestlers deal with, but his shoulder in particular sounds like it's a bad or botched bump/move from putting Kenny on the shelf.
  • To tie in to that, Kenny described the ring as being brutal to work with. He said that 15 to 20 minutes on the AEW ring is more tiring and hard on him than working 60 minutes with Okada because, as he described it, it feels like you're running through quicksand with how springy the ring is. It almost sounds like it's a combination of being too springy and maybe too hard. Kenny is one of the best in the world. So if that's his experience, I can't imagine that ring is great for anyone else.
  • Not only that, but they need to get out of Daily's Place. For one, I think you're seeing it with ticket sales, but it's getting a little stale. Secondly, with it being open air, Kenny described it as working in what feels like 100 degree heat for most of this year. So with all of that heat and humidity, in addition to the ring being very springy, it's also damp and slippery. He described the ropes being similar in that they're also slippery from the humidity. We already can tell how loose the ropes and turnbuckles are because someone like Pac looks very shaky up there, but when you add in the fact that they're also slippery, man, that's not good for a promotion that has as many high fliers as AEW.

And Kenny described the last two weeks as being freezing out there. So it's like there's no in between.
  • Alex is a gamer and got in to talking about the AEW game. Kenny mentioned that what people have wanted for years was a No Mercy style game and why there's a reason people look to it as being the best wrestling game ever. However, it's a new day and age and something that moves as slowly as No Mercy wouldn't fly today. Personally, I disagree, but whatever. So they're definitely aiming for that No Mercy style, but it's going to be a faster game to not be as methodically paced as No Mercy. In addition, he brought up how you couldn't have someone like Fenix in the original No Mercy because you wouldn't have enough buttons or moves for everything he can do, so they're looking to address that as well.

Regardless, from the way he talked it up, they're on the right path with the game.
  • He'd love for there to be a women's only tv show or PPV. I don't think they're even close to there yet, but I could see that happening in the future. EVA accurately described TK playing Moneyball with the women's division, but Kenny made it sound like how he had a different take on how to build that division.
  • Since he's been wrestling more, he hasn't been able to be as much of an agent lately, but Dustin has stepped in to help him out with those duties.

• Thanks 6