DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Maybe Sydal is being brought in as a player-coach kind of thing with some training duties? I see value in him helping teach how the PWG style translates to TV.

If just as an in ring guy I kinda got nothing 

I think he's still got "hey I know/like that guy" value for people who have happy memories of, say, trading for ROH and DG tapes in the mid-2000s. And he's good at bumping and selling and willing to put people over. I can see him as a useful puzzle piece in putting cards together who maybe has a good nostalgia run still left in the tank.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought Sydal would be signed when AEW first started up.

No, I think he was a surprise for the September PPV and stayed around for 2 or 3 matches. Then, he came back for another match on Dynamite very recently. Other than that, I don't remember anything about him being signed.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I mean, she was Raesha Saeed in the Kongtourage during what might have been peak TNA Knockouts. Prominent if not exactly... good.

Speaking of Kong, was she just too broken down and that’s why she was phased out? Or was it GLOW related (which has now not been renewed so presumably she’d be free again in some capacity)? Or was it the feedback on the gimmick with Brandi?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, I think he was a surprise for the September PPV and stayed around for 2 or 3 matches. Then, he came back for another match on Dynamite very recently. Other than that, I don't remember anything about him being signed.

I think what Eddie is saying is that he’s surprised Sydal wasn’t signed when AEW first started.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Custos said:

Speaking of Kong, was she just too broken down and that’s why she was phased out? Or was it GLOW related (which has now not been renewed so presumably she’d be free again in some capacity)? Or was it the feedback on the gimmick with Brandi?

I thought it was a combination of the three, with an emphasis on physical issues.  Her last "appearance" on Dynamite was the Jan. 15 show where she was scratched at the last minute ("not medically cleared" was the reason given) and replaced by Brandi.  She appeared on Dark a few weeks after that and did an angle where Mel and Dr. Luther beat up her after a match and "injured" her, but that seemed to be kayfabe to write her out (Kong wasn't involved in the match itself).  

Glow did go back to shooting in March, so that may have been part of it.  They only filmed one episode before the pandemic shut filming down.  

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sydal reminds me of a brown haired Dolf Ziggler.

Never noticed that before, but he does, doesn't he?    

• Thanks 1

So, Dark.

I know Hirsch to Team Taz is the most overly fantasy booked thing on the board at this point. But this needs to happen right now. Have him hype her, run some sit down vignettes where she’s like Bull Hurley calmly talking about breaking arms and shit, and then let her loose on Dynamite. I need Hirsch/Deeb in particular ASAP.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think what Eddie is saying is that he’s surprised Sydal wasn’t signed when AEW first started.

In that case, I ain't surprised because they already had a loaded roster for only 2 hours (really 1hr 40 something minutes) of content every week. Was he gonna be on Dark every week?

While I love Max Caster rapping on his way down to the ring, I think coming up with insults every week  is going to be a tough task. I’d recommend him just going with a routine song that has sing-a-long potential for fans, with some wiggle room to drop some burns every once in a while.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Sad 1

I would hope Matt Sydal brings more to AEW than just as an in ring performer, the white highflying babyface role has been well filled by now and he’s not even the first person in the company to point at his forehead. Again, AEW has earned enough trust to see what they have in store for him, as of now it seems like an odd decision.

8 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I would hope Matt Sydal brings more to AEW than just as an in ring performer, the white highflying babyface role has been well filled by now and he’s not even the first person in the company to point at his forehead. Again, AEW has earned enough trust to see what they have in store for him, as of now it seems like an odd decision.

Well, on Dark they've been pushing that he's added a submission element to his game, and he's definitely been working heel for a while. He's a fine "credible threat who will probably lose more than not."

45 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Well, on Dark they've been pushing that he's added a submission element to his game, and he's definitely been working heel for a while. He's a fine "credible threat who will probably lose more than not."

Exactly, he's fine. The roster is jam packed already with guys with who are fine or better. When Miro was signed a lot of people said "Great, but no more!" and this is one more that seems unnecessary.