DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

They basically have a WCW style of ring, do they not? Look, I love Kenny Omega to bits, but that's not a fight he wants to have. I'm picking WCW ring over just about anybody.

I don't believe so. Larger than WCW for sure. Looks like it's bouncier too. Main similarity is using cables instead of ropes.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:
  • To tie in to that, Kenny described the ring as being brutal to work with. He said that 15 to 20 minutes on the AEW ring is more tiring and hard on him than working 60 minutes with Okada because, as he described it, it feels like you're running through quicksand with how springy the ring is. It almost sounds like it's a combination of being too springy and maybe too hard. Kenny is one of the best in the world. So if that's his experience, I can't imagine that ring is great for anyone else.

Have we had anyone else comment on this sort of experience?

Regardless, I'll comment with my uninformed speculation.

IIRC, we've been hearing talk of how beat up Kenny's been since at least the first Okada match. Now I'm not accusing him of being as arthritic as Kurt Angle was while we was waiting for WWE to put him back in the ring, but one Winnipeg show was the totality of his work between the Tanahashi Wrestle Kingdom match and the Jericho Double Or Nothing match. From there it's once or twice a month till TV is up and running, and he's still not working a ton. Combine aging and injuries he's never properly dealt with and not really getting his reps in, and I'm not surprised he feels the way he does, ring be damned. And the heat certainly isn't helping him based on the way he's talking.

I don't want to get carried away, but who knows what the full picture really is. 

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I saw on Reddit some guy calculated, over the last four episodes of Dynamite, Cody’s entrances alone got more total tv time than Shida.  ?

Cody is starting to get to Dusty booking himself into the main event territory here 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Anyone think Shida might drop the title next weeK?

I could see it, Anna Jay is pretty new overall but she's talented and has quite a bit going on with the Dark Order and Tay Conti. If the NWA title is going to be the worker title for now may as well get the AEW title involved with something fun.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

You know what's been fun? Having a face champion that doesn't lose the title straight away. Mox has steamrolled through all of his opponents and it's been delightful. Sure it would get stale eventually, but the face doesn't always have to chase. 

It's weird because that was the working formula for WWE while WCW was all about the chase. Then HHH had his reign of terror with the title and the formula flipped on its head with there being no chase or a poorly done chase. Now AEW comes along and borrows a lot from WCW except how WCW booked the world title. My hope is that TK and the rest understand that it doesn't need to be one or the other and that there's money in a strong face holding the title for a lengthy period as well as in a face chasing the title.

• Like 1

I think AEW's big 2021 story is going to be Hangman chasing the title. I don't expect it to last all year or anything, but he's obviously on the cusp of being that guy and there's money to be had in the Omega/Hangman story, even if there are outliers who want the payoff immediately.

• Like 2

I'm always going to go back to the Steve Austin well, but I hope that in 2021 they have a Hangman who finds his confidence early on, ditches some of the booze, and is more pissed off to where he fucks up everyone. I want his one obstacle to be needing to dig a little deeper to beat Kenny for the title.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Matt Hardy bit made me laugh more than I thought it would.

"I don't care, Trent. You're an asshole, you know that?"

Aaron Solow looks like he lost even more weight when he was skinny as fuck before. Bayley may weigh more than him at this point.

"That's right buddy. We're going to add another fake title to our list!" I. Fucking. Died. Man, dump that FTW title in the trash. There's no coming back after that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I think AEW's big 2021 story is going to be Hangman chasing the title. I don't expect it to last all year or anything, but he's obviously on the cusp of being that guy and there's money to be had in the Omega/Hangman story, even if there are outliers who want the payoff immediately.

If Mox needs time off to be a new dad. It makes sense for him to drop the title to Kenny to set up the chase.... it does feel like Page winning the title has been the story all along. Good long term story telling is something I hope AEW sticks with. 

• Like 1

I expected this. I was certain that the Young Bucks/Top Flight bit on BTE today was going to end with the Bucks offering them a contract, before Matt Hardy came into the shot.

Their tag division is absolutely loaded, and then add in the unsigned teams on Dark too? Jeeeeesus fucking christ. I really wish they'd go this hard at the women's division, but most of the indie talent are probably on the tier zero payscale until AEW/the EVPs are ready to commit to them. And I've said this elsewhere, but I'm fine with Dark being the show where these ladies that are pretty green (but show potential) get a lot of their reps in. Nobody needs to see Lady Frost on national TV yet, but on Dark? That's perfect.

But, again, there are women out there that can be signed today that would immediately bolster the division. Maybe they don't want to commit to a contract just yet, though. Allysin Kay is a good shout, but she just got out of an NWA contract - maybe she doesn't want to jump into one again immediately. Same with Taya Valkyrie if she ends up leaving Impact. But you also run the risk of getting Mercedes Martinez'd, too.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:51 AM, Craig H said:

Main similarity is using cables instead of ropes.

I always see this and don't know what is meant. Both are solid. Cable is woven from wire and rope is woven from string, yet when I get close to a ring the ropes are rubber hose, possibly wire reinforced.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:01 AM, Jiji said:

They basically have a WCW style of ring, do they not? Look, I love Kenny Omega to bits, but that's not a fight he wants to have. I'm picking WCW ring over just about anybody.

I can shed a little light on this, I've wrestled in WCW rings, TNA rings, WWE ring, & ECW rings (not the companies, just rings that originated there).

-The WCW ring was the best feeling one of them all. They had 16 foot rings and 18 foot rings. But they were custom to WCW. They didn't bounce like a trampoline, but the bump was soft. The ropes felt like planks of wood, which was great to spring off of but would give a little when you hit them. I'd liken the bump to amateur wrestling mats placed on top of pillows. Solid impact, but lots of absorption.

-The newer WWE rings bump pretty good (post 1998). But they are 20 foot and a little springy when you run. You also get tired taking 4 square feet more on every send off exchange if you aren't adapted to it. The ropes suck because they're real rope. They bend a lot and don't give you nearly the spring cable ropes do. Which means they break a lot more often than cable. WWE ropes are a little higher than any other brand as well, which is probably why extremely short dudes like Rey Mysterio find it more comfortable to rebound off the middle rope instead of stretching upward to hit the top rope right.

-ECW rings are what transformed into Highspots rings and get sold to most indy companies these days. Cable ropes. Good bump. 18 foot by 18 foot. Very springy while you run tho. Now AEW decided to use the Highspots / ECW style ring but custom make them themselves so they could make them 20x20 like WWE. They get the benefit of a trampoline like landing, but running on it has to be hell on your knees. The extra 4 square feet means the boards are longer and bend more in the middle amplifying the bouncing effect that was already high on Highspot rings. There's no way bumping on this ring hurts more than a New Japan ring tho. New Japan rings are pretty solid. Like a full on platform with just an amateur wrestling mat. I think Kenny's complaint isn't that it hurts more per say, but that it's so springy that it bumps completely differently and you have to take the bumps differently because of it or else your landing can fuck you up.

-Worst of all tho are the 6 sided TNA rings. For fuck's sake man. Bumping in that felt like bumping in an empty parking spot. No give what so ever because of the extra tension from a hexagon shape. No bounce. No give. I'd rather take a suplex on the god damn floor. The ropes were also so god damn tight hitting them felt like it was going to slice through your torso. Awful.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Appreciate that. I knew AEW's ring was 20x20 but I swear I remember reading that they went with the WCW style. Obviously must have either misremembered, misread, or somebody was misinformed. 

My friends and I argue about the best sounding rings. I always go WCW with that trademark deep explosion sound. ECW is my wrestler friend's favourite for the shotgun sound. Nobody likes the WWF/E ring sound. 

NJPW and particularly lucha libre rings look and sound like boxing rings in that there looks to be almost no give. I've never thought about how that changes the way you run and how it would be akin to running in sand for the bouncy bois. 

• Like 1