DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Something huge is going down tonight.

From TK’s tweet

Tonight we have a great lineup for #AEWDynamite Live on TNT at 8pm ET/7pm CT! For the rest of 2020, #AEW will keep delivering great matches on Wednesday Nights + there are massive surprises ahead! Please join us on TNT tonight, the balance of power in wrestling will shift tonight

I thought it would be the announcement of a 3rd hour on TNT but that’s not it since Tony Khan spoke more of it today indicating it will happen in 2021.

I hope the “balance of power” announcement tonight is about a working relationship with NJPW. 

Agreed on it being the Inner Circle storyline. I think we gotta stop taking TK's tweets at face value. He's doing sales pitches.

I'm way more excited about Fenix vs. Pentagon and Top Flight vs. the Bucks.

Edited by Jiji

If they’re turning the Inner Circle babyface, that makes a ton of sense for Jericho and Sammy. And Santana and Ortiz easily work either way. I just hope they’d find a way to swap Wardlow and Hager, as Hager doesn’t work as a face while that is Wardlow’s next logical step to stardom. Not immediately, but as this plays out. 

I think it’d be cool if they run an angle everyone in the Inner Circle gradually starts to like Wardlow better than MJF which doesn’t sit well with MJF and he starts getting jealous and resentful and then he eventually makes the ultimatum Him or Wardlow and Jericho is all Wardlow duh

• Like 4

11 hours ago, EVA said:

The Acclaimed looked pretty sharp on Dark this week.  For a thrown together team, they’re coming together nicely.  The finish got a little janky, but it was a nice match.  I like that they use that  old Beverly Brothers leap frog spot.

Still not sold on them in-ring just yet, but I've popped huge at their diss rap entrances the past few weeks. Absolutely hilarious stuff. Definite potential there.

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1

You joke, but they've used the name for that live event around this time the last few years. I'd laugh if they ran the UE/Pat Mcafee's group WarGames match to counter program. 

More than likely they'll run Finn vs. Kross.

But enough about that, I think the AEW undercard is really interesting because they'll give them time on Dark for stuff. It's one of the benefits of running those tapings at one location. I wonder what they'll do for that as yet unknown 2nd TNT show.

It's not that people can't tell them apart.  It's that I don't think I've ever seen it before and there are 3 of them now and they have no connection to each other. It's like when multiple people wore fright masks for a few weeks. If too many people do the same thing, its no longer special.

26 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I hate to be the guy who points out stupid nonsense but how does AEW have three people on the roster who paint half their faces? 

Thunder Rosa isn't on the roster. But all three of them came at it from different places. Darby's is to symbolise that he feels half of him is dead, Dustin's is to symbolise that he spent (more than) half of his career wearing facepaint but that it doesn't define him, and Rosa's is a Sugar Skull to honour her Mexican heritage.

Jeff Hardy used to paint half his face back in the TNA days, for a while. But he's probably not the first to.

Just now, Goodear said:

It's not that people can't tell them apart.  It's that I don't think I've ever seen it before and there are 3 of them now and they have no connection to each other. It's like when multiple people wore fright masks for a few weeks. If too many people do the same thing, its no longer special.

WWE mindset. You're thinking with the "We can't have two guys called Steve and a guy called Stephen, how could anyone possibly tell them apart?" logic. It's not logical, and AEW doesn't do that. Orange Cassidy and Isiah Kassidy will never be confused with one another. Brandon Cutler and Brandi Rhodes will never be confused with one another. 

• Like 7

First names are not the same thing as presentation.

What if when you introduced the Dark Order you started another cult type faction that had nothing to do with the Dark Order but also put everyone in masks and all the members were given letters instead of numbers as a naming convention?

Some things should only be one person's thing because that is what helps distinguish them from everyone else.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

That's why there being 5 factions in the promotion is an issue.

NJPW has Chaos, Bullet Club, LiJ, Suzuki-Gun, Main Unit, GBH and The Empire, and that seems to work quite well. WWE has The Hurt Business, Retribution, Undisputed Era, The friends of Pat McAfee, whatever Roman and the Uso's tribal chief deal is, that Cult of Rollins deal, and probably something else I'm forgetting.