DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Just spit-balling here, but now that we're a year+ into this TV show and we've seen what they do and don't do booking-wise, what does everyone here think is the biggest match they could put on using only the talent that's on their roster now or has participated in one of their shows to date? I think there's a clear answer, but maybe there's something I'm not considering. And I like that the match that occurs to me doesn't feel like something they have any intention of touching for a while. 

Spoiler

D7eTmu0UcAA9N34?format=jpg&name=large

EYwjxCrWsAATgyo?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

Bonus Friday Dark is only 7 matches. Sydal vs Daniels and Cutler vs Nakazawa being the ones that don't feature local talents.

• Like 1

TK did a 60 minute interview with Dave and Bryan. Good stuff. He seemed less guarded than usual and way less guarded than anybody else in his role would be. He even was questioning Gedo's booking of Tanahashi and Ibushi. ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I think some championship belts need to change hands soon, with at least one non-WWE vet having a long run. Having people like Darby and OC constantly coming "THIS close" will get stale.

Exactly.  Others here mentioned this yesterday, but Darby is 0-2-1 against Cody.  He really needs to win the title Saturday.  Another non-win and he's late 80's Lex Luger. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Exactly.  Others here mentioned this yesterday, but Darby is 0-2-1 against Cody.  He really needs to win the title Saturday.  Another non-win and he's late 80's Lex Luger. 

I don't think the question is if Darby wins at Full Gear. I think the question is....how does Darby win the title from Cody.

Cody just lost his title a few weeks ago cleanly to Brodie Lee. Does Cody lose cleanly to Darby at the PPV as well? Sure, but not without an “accidental mistake” from Arn Anderson which costs Cody the TNT Championship.

Historic, feel good moment of the evening when Darby wins the title after all his hard work over the last year. 

Also history repeating itself when an Anderson turns on a Rhodes.

24 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Historic, feel good moment of the evening when Darby wins the title after all his hard work over the last year. 

Also history repeating itself when an Anderson turns on a Rhodes.

These are conflicting goals.  You don't start an up and coming babyface's long-awaited title run with a bullshit win.  Anything but a clean win makes Allin look like the loser who failed three times and only succeeded through somebody else's work.

I'd go with a clean Darby win, and then a heel turn for Cody where he just beats the shit out of him post-match and maybe turns on Arn too. But that wouldn't make much sense, given that people like Lee Johnson and the Gunn Club just joined the Nightmare Family. But they've been pretty wonky with shit like this before, so who knows. It's probably within the realm of possibility. But they don't need yet another heel faction, but Billy & Austin Gunn just SCREAM heels, and them being henchmen for Cody works for me.

I'm of two minds about that match.

And very weird timing with WWE pulling Sting merch a few weeks ago, and AEW suddenly doing a Crow Sting tribute with Darby sitting up in the nosebleeds. But I'm not going to go all @Flair’s Shadow on that.

• Like 1

Inner Circle won’t be a heel faction after tomorrow night.

The new Apocalypse will be the top heel faction in AEW. Matt Hardy will defeat and “cleans” Sammy’s soul and Sammy becomes a mega face who will be having a great feud with MJF here shortly. Ortiz and Santana will be the next huge opponents for FTR and the Apocalypse. Cody has some new members in his faction to take losses from Apocalypse. 

There is no way Arn Anderson is not turning on Cody Rhodes and his family. With Tully banned from ringside this is where Double A comes in and costs Young Bucks the Tag Team Titles to end the PPV. Cody comes to ringside to confront Anderson and he gets crushed by FTR and Spears. Brandi comes out and takes the microphone and yells at Anderson, “I always told my husband he couldn’t trust you. You can never trust an Anderson!”. Then Brandi slaps Anderson across the face. FTR walks toward Brandi...but suddenly Tully stops FTR from doing anything to Brandi and Tully says the following, “Hold on boys. I got somebody to take care of this problem.” 

Out comes Tessa Blanchard to clean Brandi’s clock.

End of PPV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Worse still, doing a Hirooki Goto.

• Like 2

He already came out and said that isn't happening. I think that stipulation was dumb but it helped build the match and MJF turn. On the other hand the Bucks doing the same thing is way worse. Even if it leads to a breakup, which I think would be monumentally stupid in that it's way too early, and eventual reunion... They'd have little to gun for should/when they reunite. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He already came out and said that isn't happening. I think that stipulation was dumb but it helped build the match and MJF turn. On the other hand the Bucks doing the same thing is way worse. Even if it leads to a breakup, which I think would be monumentally stupid in that it's way too early, and eventual reunion... They'd have little to gun for should/when they reunite. 

Yeah, but...

tenor.gif?itemid=16159693

C'mon!

• Haha 1

Didn't Cody just win a title match (vs Orange) thanks to outside interference he didn't know about? Because him losing the belt to Darby thanks to outside interference Darby doesn't know about would be the logical next step.

I'm going bitch a little bit about AEW...in particular, their merch. Their deals and sales always SUCK because they run through Pro Wrestling Tees. I think it's a decent product, but I don't think it's any better than what you would order from WWE's shop. On WWE or NXT PPVs, they'll regularly do a buy 1, get 1 for $.50 type of deal of something like that. The most AEW does is...15% of. In addition, I don't think the shirts hold up that well over time. I'm already noticing cracks in the graphic on my Best Friend's in Sue's van shirt. I only wash my shirts on cold and I let them hang dry before I fold them up. I just bought that shirt not even that long ago.

So come on AEW, give us some better merch deals.

Anyway, if you want 15% off, use code FULLGEARSMS

• Like 2

Yeah. My CM Punk/Black Flag and Rainmaker t-shirts are pretty much completely faded with the graphic on each falling apart. And those were on the more expensive premium shirts.

I feel like if I get another AEW or PWT shirt I'm going to have to always keep it clean and just never wash it.