DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I guess he wanted to supplant "getting maimed in deathmatches for a hotdog and a handshake" on the list of dumbest shit he's done in his life.

In all seriousness, I just watched the Kevin Steen show where Drake was a guest and he was the coolest, most positive guy.  This is just the worst.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The Lana being put through the table ordeal.  In my opinion nobody looks strong from this. Lana getting put through a table every week is doing nothing for her, and when Nia Jax is 200 lbs bigger it really doesn't make her look strong by putting someone as weak as Lana through a table each week. People say to let it play out, but we are already 1-2 months of this and there seemingly is no endgame.  Even if Lana gets her win who cares? People will forget about it within 2 months tops. Nobody is booked strong in this angle.

Honestly it would be fine if they just ran it as a comedy gag which it felt like maybe it was the first three time. For some reason though they think they can turn Lana into a sympathetic figure with it and Nia being a bitch to her in general. It just doesn't feel like that is going to work. Lana isn't particularly likable and half the time brings the shit on herself. She is also isn't good enough in other areas to really pull an audience in. The only people who likely feel sorry for her are those who were already fans.

So, the biggest problem for pro wrestling's viability in the United States is that I do think that the loyal viewership is increasingly very online

That very online audience is also very online for, like, everything else...and the wrestlers are very online, too. 

In a business where you have to be able to forge a connection with your audience to get them to stick with you, that's going to be a bigger problem than people might think. Pro wrestling isn't quite a TV show where there's that extra layer of artifice between the viewer and the performer that allows the viewer to disregard what they know about the performer. In fact, pro wrestling performers quite often say that they draw on a version of themselves, pumped up for the screen. 

So in 2000, or whatever, it was easy for younger Smelly McUgly to forge a connection with Chris Jericho's character because younger Smelly McUgly didn't know anything about Chris Jericho's personal worldview about, say, the way in which politicians should consider (or fail to consider) Smelly's civil rights. 

In 2020, it drove me away from watching AEW to know this because even if Jericho is a heel on the show, Jericho's beliefs in real life don't enhance that heelishness. Because of the weakened barrier between viewer and performer, in fact, I'm aware that his real life heelishness is dangerous to me in a very personal way, so why would I want to watch a person like that do bad things, fake or not? I'm good with that. 

The smartest thing that a wrestler can do is avoid social media, I think. Pro wrestling depends too much on brewing a very personal connection between viewer and performer that other entertainment mediums don't require to be successful. 

I think it's also really interesting that U.S. pro wrestling fans, or at least the current diehards, tend to be much different politically than a significant chunk of the performers based on the studies we've seen. That seems deeply unhealthy for the future of the business. 

WWE might honestly be better off sold to a multinational conglomerate that pays bland lip service to all popularly-held beliefs in terms of its future health. They did get in on a TV deal at the right exact time, though because if they were in the same market that the NBA and NHL were entering, these issues would be at their doorstep instead of in the medium term. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I mean, it's kind of obvious Lana is going to win the women's SurSer tag for her team.  Or rather, that's where they'd take the story if they weren't being constantly overridden by a coke-fueled 70-something man. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, it's kind of obvious Lana is going to win the women's SurSer tag for her team.  Or rather, that's where they'd take the story if they weren't being constantly overridden by a coke-fueled 70-something man. 

Does anyone want to see that though?  I feel like this storyline would have been dropped already if they had a live crowd sitting there reacting to it.  Or maybe not reacting to it, which would be worse.  I think Lana’s probably benefitting from Vince not being forced to adjust his booking plans because of the crowd reaction.

26 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I watched Raw a week or two ago and came up with the thought: "Maybe Vince McMahon is just very depressed." Every story ('Lana is repeatedly bullied for not being good enough and put through a table every week then stands up and says if nothing is going to change, she'll have to do it herself) which seems to be heading a certain way (Lana upsets Jax. Lana is destroyed by Jax but refuses to give up and earns her respect by showing toughness. Lana is saved by Asuka/Naomi/Someone and go after Jax/Shayna. Lana's toughness impresses Shayna who stops Jax from beating her up) goes the most depressing way possible (Jax destroys Lana, puts her through a table, makes fun of her for being weak). There's a lot of easy, crowd-pleasing stories they could be telling, but WWE seems to just not want to tell those stories (MacIntyre repeatedly defeats longtime WWE bully and bad guy Randy Orton, giving him rematches he doesn't deserve, then loses clean. Apollo Crews finally wins the big one, delivering on years of promise, then gets repeatedly destroyed and loses his title. And especially, the Kofi Kingston wins the big one, everyone loves him, he's so happy, he loses to Brock Lesnar in seconds and never even ASKS for a rematch, just smiles and dances his way back down the tag team division).

Vince, CLEARLY, does not want to see "good guys" win at this particular point in time. Could you imagine if this Vince booking mindset were at play in years past? Hulk Hogan stands up for America, but Sgt. Slaughter stymies his challenge and beats the Hulkster clean. Stone Cold Steve Austin stands up to his evil boss, but then gets fired until he apologizes to Vince and shuffles back down to the mid-card. John Cena makes a shocking return at the Royal Rumble after quickly recovering from an injury but is eliminated by Triple H.  Rob Van Dam challenges John Cena to a world title match, guy holds up a sign that says "If Cena wins, we riot!", Cena wins, they riot.

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes it has to do with something they did on the show but while we're here I'm wondering if these new releases that were announced are an indicator that WWE has plans of cutting down or maybe eliminating live events all together once audiences are allowed back in.  Their earnings reports show that live events mean nothing to their bottom line and now they've released travel coordinators. 

I wonder how that will play out with the lower card folks. House shows were their only real chance to get some time to show off their stuff.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly it would be fine if they just ran it as a comedy gag which it felt like maybe it was the first three time. For some reason though they think they can turn Lana into a sympathetic figure with it and Nia being a bitch to her in general. It just doesn't feel like that is going to work. Lana isn't particularly likable and half the time brings the shit on herself. She is also isn't good enough in other areas to really pull an audience in. The only people who likely feel sorry for her are those who were already fans.

Since I follow Lana on IG and she loves to repost stuff that other people tag her in, there are people that are sympathizing with her so it might be working. I only get info from Raw via here, and social media clips because I can't stand watching that shit.

Agree with Bryan here,  I don't think they need to rush Charlotte back or anything but now that this feud (Sasha/Bayley) is over man they gotta give Bianca an opportunity with a great worker at some point and I think it might be time to call up someone from NXT... they have great women down there too. There's too big of a gap between the women who are great and the women who are still green. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Since I follow Lana on IG and she loves to repost stuff that other people tag her in, there are people that are sympathizing with her so it might be working. 

I'm curious - are they sympathetic because she's taking beatings, or because she's a victim of bad writing?

Not that I'm poo-pooing it if it's the latter or anything. That's clearly a valid way to get face heat in 21st century wrestling.

Edited by tbarrie
Correcting thinko
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, caley said:

I watched Raw a week or two ago and came up with the thought: "Maybe Vince McMahon is just very depressed." Every story ('Lana is repeatedly bullied for not being good enough and put through a table every week then stands up and says if nothing is going to change, she'll have to do it herself) which seems to be heading a certain way (Lana upsets Jax. Lana is destroyed by Jax but refuses to give up and earns her respect by showing toughness. Lana is saved by Asuka/Naomi/Someone and go after Jax/Shayna. Lana's toughness impresses Shayna who stops Jax from beating her up) goes the most depressing way possible (Jax destroys Lana, puts her through a table, makes fun of her for being weak). There's a lot of easy, crowd-pleasing stories they could be telling, but WWE seems to just not want to tell those stories (MacIntyre repeatedly defeats longtime WWE bully and bad guy Randy Orton, giving him rematches he doesn't deserve, then loses clean. Apollo Crews finally wins the big one, delivering on years of promise, then gets repeatedly destroyed and loses his title. And especially, the Kofi Kingston wins the big one, everyone loves him, he's so happy, he loses to Brock Lesnar in seconds and never even ASKS for a rematch, just smiles and dances his way back down the tag team division).

Vince, CLEARLY, does not want to see "good guys" win at this particular point in time. Could you imagine if this Vince booking mindset were at play in years past? Hulk Hogan stands up for America, but Sgt. Slaughter stymies his challenge and beats the Hulkster clean. Stone Cold Steve Austin stands up to his evil boss, but then gets fired until he apologizes to Vince and shuffles back down to the mid-card. John Cena makes a shocking return at the Royal Rumble after quickly recovering from an injury but is eliminated by Triple H.  Rob Van Dam challenges John Cena to a world title match, guy holds up a sign that says "If Cena wins, we riot!", Cena wins, they riot.

And compare this to the Eddie Kingston story and match on the other program. There is no way he can or should lose after all the promos and promises, all the sacrifice and grind.

Yet, he does. Very definitively. And still, it's a satisfying, even a feel good ending to that part of the story, albeit in a gut wrenching, fucked up way.

Now, it MUST lead to something ,otherwise it is the same depressing BS that lot of the WWE stories have been for the longest time, but in this case , I do believe it will.

But hey, the WWE is in the business of taking smiles off people's faces, so it should not surprise anyone at this point, how their stories usually go.

3 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

It should main event the next Mania but I'm sure Vince will go with Orton-Edge grunting again for 45 minutes. 

I'm hoping for the former as well. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley have the best chemistry than any other women's pairing. Love for them to headline WrestleMania XXXVII. Golden Role Models were one of the few WWE bright spots this year.

Edited by The Natural

This year has fucking sucked for everyone with the coronavirus pandemic. An exception to that is 2020 bringing us some of the best wrestling documentaries ever made. Dark Side of the Ring: Benoit Part One/Part Two, Dark Side of the Ring: The Final Days of Owen Hart, Undertaker: The Last Ride, Edge: The Second Mountain and The Mortician: The Story of Paul Bearer are all excellent. The first two are difficult watches due to the subject matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm hoping for the former as well. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley have the best chemistry than any other women's pairing. Love for them to headline WrestleMania XXXVII. Golden Role Models were one of the few WWE bright spots this year.

Air them both at the same time in two windows with two audio streams and let the fans choose!

You know, after how incredibly badly they botched setting up Bayley/Sasha (managed to win worst feud of the year despite never actually becoming a feud!) they did a good job resetting everything and doing it well this time.

• Like 2