DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hall and Nash had to either be real pros or real trashed to not walk to the ring laughing at that. If I had to guess I'd say it was a mix of both.

Yeah, it's Hall and Nash of all people. I can't believe that it didn't make them crack up. You don't see any sign of surprise or confusion or anything else. I am dubious of this footage.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Remember I told you guys about my friends who produced those cool videos that AEW featured on Dynamite?

One of them, Harv Glazer, directed a movie on Sweet Daddy Siki, which is now available on the American version of Amazon Prime. Y'all should check it out!

Edit: here's the link to the trailer

Edge on he and Christian's podcast spoke about it a few times I guess it was in production. I'll check it out, don't know much about him but I do know , Ali was influenced by him as much as he was Gorgeous George. Also when the Rock wore the boots with the open Calves it was in tribute to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, it's Hall and Nash of all people. I can't believe that it didn't make them crack up. You don't see any sign of surprise or confusion or anything else. I am dubious of this footage.

I feel like this must be fake.  Hall and Nash don't even react as they come to the ring.  But..... I think that voiceover has been on every upload of  the show I've ever seen, so if someone dubbed the voice track, they did it a long time ago.  I bought a DVD of the show from a "tape trader" ten years ago or so, and it had that ridiculous voice over.

The show is nWo Vs. WCW Take Over Tour 06/21/97 Oberhausen.  Here's the card:

Alex Wright vs. Hugh Morrus

Madusa vs. Luna Vachon

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Misterio Jr.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Michael Wallstreet

Chris Benoit vs. Meng

The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) (c) vs. Lex Luger & The Giant

The complete show is uploaded on Youtube.  It was originally taped for German TV (or aired live; don't remember which)

Listening to an interview with Savio Vega.

His inspiration to be a wrestler was Titanes del Ring. He began training and then began working as security for CSP thanks to family members who also worked as security for CSP. At the time he was also working smaller indy shows until Isaac Rosario saw him working an anniversary show they had for him and recommended him to Carlos Colón.

He worked a number of gimmicks in CSP, Juan Rivera, El Corsario, El Asesino, etc. His first night in CSP was a Wednesday TV taping. He wrestled 3 opponents, including Sabukán and one of the Súper Médicos.

He received an offer to do a tour of Tennessee, but it feel through and he ended up doing a tour of Louisiana where he worked in Mid-South. He also mentioned he did a tour of Mexico with José Huertas González. They were Los Corsarios.

After those tours, he returned to Puerto Rico and he debuted the TNT gimmick. On his first night back, he had three matches at a Wednesday TV taping and he mentioned wrestling one of the Hart brothers in one of the three matches.

He received his first offer for a tour of Japan thanks to Abdullah the Butcher. It was a tour with All Japan.

He talked about his feud and working with the Canadian Jason the Terrible, Karl Moffatt. He said their matches were brutal and Moffatt liked working stiff. He recalls Moffatt knocking him out in one of their matches in Caguas with a diving headbutt. He said he kicked out by instinct. When he recovered, he stiffed Moffatt with body kicks and Moffatt was screaming at him to tone it down. He also said he had a scar in forehead from a headbutt he received with the Jason hockey mask which he says had a sharp edge.

Scott Hall was the person who recommended him to Vince McMahon. He said he still has a relationship with Steve Austin and they talk on the phone often. He said Austin called him around the anniversary for their strap match as he credits as a key match in the development of his career on his way to becoming Stone Cold.

44 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I feel like this must be fake.  Hall and Nash don't even react as they come to the ring.  

Between the crowd noise and the acoustics in the building, it's entirely possible that from their vantage point, they couldn't notice any difference in the music. 

25 minutes ago, Edwin said:

He said he still has a relationship with Steve Austin and they talk on the phone often. He said Austin called him around the anniversary for their strap match as he credits as a key match in the development of his career on his way to becoming Stone Cold.

That's great to know. I had just started watching wrestling right around the start of that angle. I didn't get cable till a year later so all I got was WWF Superstars.  WCW had a few more syndicated shows I was able to watch but Savio Vega was probably my first favorite wrestler. I remember Austin replacing Razor as Savios partner and turning on him and the whole Caribbean Kid deal leading to He and Austins blowoff. 

People joke about Savio being the Surprise partner in that No Way Out tag match on '98 but looking back now , it was probably Austin who recommended him to replace Shawn.

I bet He and Austin tore it up on the house show loop during their feud. I'm glad he gets more recognition over here now with MLW and BSK getting recognized nowadays.

26 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I'm glad he gets more recognition over here now with MLW and BSK getting recognized nowadays.

There's an interview where he talks about BSK, I haven't watched it yet, though.

He said Victor Quiñones was the agent for Kane, Big Show, the Mexican and Japanese wrestlers of the Attitude Era. He claims Big Show's deal was for $10M.

Súper Astros was a project Quiñones was involved in. The goal was for Súper Astros to be a brand of itself. Their show was original for 30 minutes and they had plans to expand it to an hour, but someone had an issue arise with Linda McMahon and Vince decided to drop the entire plan.

Regardless, Quiñones was still working on founding IWA in Puerto Rico. Obviously IWA was heavily influenced by W★ING. Savio says Jim Ross told him creative didn't have anything for him and when Savio approached the Undertaker to say goodbye, Taker told him he would get him a 2 year extension, but Savio turned down the offer from Taker as he was already working with Quiñones, Miguel Pérez Jr. and Victor Rodríguez founding IWA.

Edited by Edwin