DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Unrelated to ADR scumbaggery: is the Vader/Hansen rematch from June of 1990 in NJPW the most slept on match of all time*? I thought it was significantly better in pretty much every way than the far more famous eye match from the Tokyo Dome four months prior. They have a slightly more pro-wrestling match but this time they go well over 20 and there are only a couple of lulls and neither lasts long. It's my kind of wrestling with two kaiju (Kotetsu Yamamoto even calls them that on commentary!) beating the shit out of each other and throwing in the odd cool move (Vader goes for a sunset flip and Stan's reaction is The Best). There's some storytelling too beyond smashy smashy. It may be one of my favourite matches and it's something I've never seen discussed. Cagematch doesn't even have ratings for it. I'm guessing somebody on here has talked about it or over on PWO back in the day... but man. SO UNDER THE RADAR. 1990: the year of the underdog Stan Hansen fighting from beneath and getting sympathy.

Going through 1990 and my two favourite surprises so far are Jerry Lynn vs. Lightning Kid in a bar basically doing the best ECW match I've ever seen 8 years in advance of the style and Hansen vs. Vader mk III. Oh and learning JYD could still have fun matches if he were in there with either Lawler or Flair. Three favourite surprises. Oh fuck and The Snowman in Memphis. That storyline was something else and the dude seemed legit awesome. The matches have been rough so far but fuck it, I don't care! FOUR surprises.

*That isn't super obscure like French catch or what have you.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

No, I've always deeply hated Jimmy Valiant, so this tracks.

The best thing about Jimmy Valiant in wrestling was when Pez Whatley whipped his ass for being a condescending racist with that "best black athlete" remark. The second best thing is any other time that someone whipped Valiant's punk ass. 

And fuck his shitty dancing. Boogie Woogie Man my ass. 

EDIT: And yes, I know that I ranted about this before, but like an old man telling stories about his youth, I will always take the chance to hate on Jimmy Valiant as a wrestler. If you'd like to wrap the human being up with that, go for it. 

My dad was a fan of Jimmy Valiant.

Then we went to a stop on the Great American Bash '88 tour in Johnson City, TN.  Valiant was facing Barbarian or Teijo Khan or some such.  Valiant dodged a shoulder charge in the corner, and while his opponent was stunned and bent over thin the buckles, Jimmy proceeded to air-hump the Barbarian from behind.

My dad never did look at Jimmy Valiant the same way afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 11/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, BobbyWhioux said:

Foley got over on Undertaker for a while and did last, although much of that is attributable to Foley's whole deal being that he endured way beyond what a normal and/or sane human being would withstand, so...

Its crazy to think that even after that program Vince was going to let him leave. He had Undertakers best overall feud upto that point while at the same had Shawn Michaels best match as a main event guy upto then. It was until he turned Babyface and he was switching from Mankind to Dude Love to Cactus that he started being featured prominently again. If he didn't resign and went back to ECW that would have been the biggest grab for them especially in 97. If he went back to WCW it would have been a big deal too for a little while but I don't think the main event guys would have wanted to let him get over.

JR and to some degree Bruce was strong enough allies for Mick that Vince gave him a shot. I'm sure him coming up with Taker have Taker more an incentive to get Mick over too. Even in that Undertaker and Kane documentary they Talked about the Kane feud was originally intended to be just a one program deal for Kane too. It would've been crazy if they let both guys go after their feuds with Taker considering how talented they were. Foley had it all. It wasn't till I got older and got to see his work prior to Mankind to see how talented he was.Its crazy how in his own bubble Vince was. He didn't see anything in Austin either

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Damn....that's horrible

Jesus. I fondly remember Jimmy Rave's entrance in Ring of Honour with the fans throwing toilet paper rolls at him and Prince Nana from the Embassy faction. Thoughts go out to Rave at this difficult of times xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jesus. I fondly remember Jimmy Rave's entrance in Ring of Honour with the fans throwing toilet paper rolls at him and Prince Nana from the Embassy faction. Thoughts go out to Rave at this difficult of times xxx.

One of the most memorable ROH moments.

• Like 1

Awful news.  Hopefully Rave will be able to reinvent himself as a commentary guy, a road agent, or maybe a trainer.  He lost his arm, but not his brain or his heart.  I think he still has a lot to offer a company in terms of knowledge of the business and ring psychology.  I hope that there are feds out there that will give him a chance to pass on what he's learned and keep earning a paycheck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

There's a really tiny indy in North Jersey I go to once in a while, Pro Wrestling Magic.  About a year back, Rave and Nana were tagging on it and it was the first I heard about him years, I was really surprised he was still going and really happy to hear that too.  With everything he's been through I hope he's able to stay strong mentally. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

There's a really tiny indy in North Jersey I go to once in a while, Pro Wrestling Magic.  About a year back, Rave and Nana were tagging on it and it was the first I heard about him years, I was really surprised he was still going ...

Rave kept working after he disappeared from ROH and TNA.  He worked regularly up until this year, mostly in or around Georgia and almost always for tiny indies that don't have tv/streaming.  Last time I saw him was 2015 or 2016 and he was working as a grizzled babyface gimmick.

Cagematch says he worked King of Trios (w/ Nana and... I forget) and CZW Cage of Death last year.  Those were possibly his biggest gigs in years.

Back around 2006-07, I thought he'd become the next ROH champion and follow Joe and Punk into a better gig with TNA or WWE.  Never happened.  He did get into TNA and formed a tag team with Lance Hoyt/Archer, but they were basically a midcard comedy team and it didn't lead to anything better for him.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Jerry really did enjoy being a heel much more than being a face, didn't he?

I love the fact that they're hyping up a match at U-Hall. I'm a Charlottesville native and live here now so U-Hall has quite a few fond wrestling memories for me. I remember seeing an Abdullah the Butcher/Cactus Jack street fight where Abby hiptossed Jack through a wooden barricade right in front of me onto the concrete floor. I remember Jack hitting the floor sounding horrific and there was no padding or anything. Keep in mind that this was a 1991 or 92 WCW house show and there were probably 1,500 people there tops.

• Like 2

Remember I told you guys about my friends who produced those cool videos that AEW featured on Dynamite?

One of them, Harv Glazer, directed a movie on Sweet Daddy Siki, which is now available on the American version of Amazon Prime. Y'all should check it out!

Edit: here's the link to the trailer

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 6