DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Damn....that's horrible

Jesus. I fondly remember Jimmy Rave's entrance in Ring of Honour with the fans throwing toilet paper rolls at him and Prince Nana from the Embassy faction. Thoughts go out to Rave at this difficult of times xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jesus. I fondly remember Jimmy Rave's entrance in Ring of Honour with the fans throwing toilet paper rolls at him and Prince Nana from the Embassy faction. Thoughts go out to Rave at this difficult of times xxx.

One of the most memorable ROH moments.

• Like 1

Awful news.  Hopefully Rave will be able to reinvent himself as a commentary guy, a road agent, or maybe a trainer.  He lost his arm, but not his brain or his heart.  I think he still has a lot to offer a company in terms of knowledge of the business and ring psychology.  I hope that there are feds out there that will give him a chance to pass on what he's learned and keep earning a paycheck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

There's a really tiny indy in North Jersey I go to once in a while, Pro Wrestling Magic.  About a year back, Rave and Nana were tagging on it and it was the first I heard about him years, I was really surprised he was still going and really happy to hear that too.  With everything he's been through I hope he's able to stay strong mentally. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

There's a really tiny indy in North Jersey I go to once in a while, Pro Wrestling Magic.  About a year back, Rave and Nana were tagging on it and it was the first I heard about him years, I was really surprised he was still going ...

Rave kept working after he disappeared from ROH and TNA.  He worked regularly up until this year, mostly in or around Georgia and almost always for tiny indies that don't have tv/streaming.  Last time I saw him was 2015 or 2016 and he was working as a grizzled babyface gimmick.

Cagematch says he worked King of Trios (w/ Nana and... I forget) and CZW Cage of Death last year.  Those were possibly his biggest gigs in years.

Back around 2006-07, I thought he'd become the next ROH champion and follow Joe and Punk into a better gig with TNA or WWE.  Never happened.  He did get into TNA and formed a tag team with Lance Hoyt/Archer, but they were basically a midcard comedy team and it didn't lead to anything better for him.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Jerry really did enjoy being a heel much more than being a face, didn't he?

I love the fact that they're hyping up a match at U-Hall. I'm a Charlottesville native and live here now so U-Hall has quite a few fond wrestling memories for me. I remember seeing an Abdullah the Butcher/Cactus Jack street fight where Abby hiptossed Jack through a wooden barricade right in front of me onto the concrete floor. I remember Jack hitting the floor sounding horrific and there was no padding or anything. Keep in mind that this was a 1991 or 92 WCW house show and there were probably 1,500 people there tops.

• Like 2

Remember I told you guys about my friends who produced those cool videos that AEW featured on Dynamite?

One of them, Harv Glazer, directed a movie on Sweet Daddy Siki, which is now available on the American version of Amazon Prime. Y'all should check it out!

Edit: here's the link to the trailer

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hall and Nash had to either be real pros or real trashed to not walk to the ring laughing at that. If I had to guess I'd say it was a mix of both.

Yeah, it's Hall and Nash of all people. I can't believe that it didn't make them crack up. You don't see any sign of surprise or confusion or anything else. I am dubious of this footage.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Remember I told you guys about my friends who produced those cool videos that AEW featured on Dynamite?

One of them, Harv Glazer, directed a movie on Sweet Daddy Siki, which is now available on the American version of Amazon Prime. Y'all should check it out!

Edit: here's the link to the trailer

Edge on he and Christian's podcast spoke about it a few times I guess it was in production. I'll check it out, don't know much about him but I do know , Ali was influenced by him as much as he was Gorgeous George. Also when the Rock wore the boots with the open Calves it was in tribute to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, it's Hall and Nash of all people. I can't believe that it didn't make them crack up. You don't see any sign of surprise or confusion or anything else. I am dubious of this footage.

I feel like this must be fake.  Hall and Nash don't even react as they come to the ring.  But..... I think that voiceover has been on every upload of  the show I've ever seen, so if someone dubbed the voice track, they did it a long time ago.  I bought a DVD of the show from a "tape trader" ten years ago or so, and it had that ridiculous voice over.

The show is nWo Vs. WCW Take Over Tour 06/21/97 Oberhausen.  Here's the card:

Alex Wright vs. Hugh Morrus

Madusa vs. Luna Vachon

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Misterio Jr.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Michael Wallstreet

Chris Benoit vs. Meng

The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) (c) vs. Lex Luger & The Giant

The complete show is uploaded on Youtube.  It was originally taped for German TV (or aired live; don't remember which)

Listening to an interview with Savio Vega.

His inspiration to be a wrestler was Titanes del Ring. He began training and then began working as security for CSP thanks to family members who also worked as security for CSP. At the time he was also working smaller indy shows until Isaac Rosario saw him working an anniversary show they had for him and recommended him to Carlos Colón.

He worked a number of gimmicks in CSP, Juan Rivera, El Corsario, El Asesino, etc. His first night in CSP was a Wednesday TV taping. He wrestled 3 opponents, including Sabukán and one of the Súper Médicos.

He received an offer to do a tour of Tennessee, but it feel through and he ended up doing a tour of Louisiana where he worked in Mid-South. He also mentioned he did a tour of Mexico with José Huertas González. They were Los Corsarios.

After those tours, he returned to Puerto Rico and he debuted the TNT gimmick. On his first night back, he had three matches at a Wednesday TV taping and he mentioned wrestling one of the Hart brothers in one of the three matches.

He received his first offer for a tour of Japan thanks to Abdullah the Butcher. It was a tour with All Japan.

He talked about his feud and working with the Canadian Jason the Terrible, Karl Moffatt. He said their matches were brutal and Moffatt liked working stiff. He recalls Moffatt knocking him out in one of their matches in Caguas with a diving headbutt. He said he kicked out by instinct. When he recovered, he stiffed Moffatt with body kicks and Moffatt was screaming at him to tone it down. He also said he had a scar in forehead from a headbutt he received with the Jason hockey mask which he says had a sharp edge.

Scott Hall was the person who recommended him to Vince McMahon. He said he still has a relationship with Steve Austin and they talk on the phone often. He said Austin called him around the anniversary for their strap match as he credits as a key match in the development of his career on his way to becoming Stone Cold.

44 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I feel like this must be fake.  Hall and Nash don't even react as they come to the ring.  

Between the crowd noise and the acoustics in the building, it's entirely possible that from their vantage point, they couldn't notice any difference in the music.