DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Foley got over on Undertaker for a while and did last, although much of that is attributable to Foley's whole deal being that he endured way beyond what a normal and/or sane human being would withstand, so...

• Like 1

then again, monsters of the week aren't really meant to last long, are they?  A niche really hurt by the death of the territory system, where there was always another region and another local babyface to do the arc with.  With only national companies, all there is to look forward to after losing the big blowoff is 2.5 years of "LOL BIG MAN DANCING" skits until the contract finally runs out ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

And ramp pose and apron pose for their ring entrance.

The otherwise supremely talented blue chip prospect Ricky Starks does this. It makes me want to reach through the television screen, pull him aside and tell him that this is not the way.

I’m not even sure who the worst offender in WWE is here, they are all so bad. For me, the robotic entrance does the opposite of the intended effect and takes me OUT OF the presentation, rather than adding to it. 

• Like 2

We could easily have an entire thread dedicated to people's rankings of the top ten worst trends started/pushed by WWE. There's definitely (probably?) a good bunch of positives to comment on as well, but overall the negative effects on the industry are glaringly obvious. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not trying to mock Reigns. WWE continues to just bring guys up to the main roster with no purpose. Mark Jindrak, Luther Reigns, Nathan Jones, Chris Masters, Snitsky, etc morph into Ricochet, Aleister Black, Bobby Roode, Chad Gable.

I'd like to add to the list the invisible camera that is present for all the important moments.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

then again, monsters of the week aren't really meant to last long, are they?  A niche really hurt by the death of the territory system, where there was always another region and another local babyface to do the arc with.  With only national companies, all there is to look forward to after losing the big blowoff is 2.5 years of "LOL BIG MAN DANCING" skits until the contract finally runs out ?

Starting from his debut, they got about two years out of Khali feuding with tippy-top babyfaces. After that, weren't we all ready for big man dancing skits to use as bathroom breaks? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I'm still lowkey a little mad at how they tiptoed up to the very edge of doing something outside their box with Luther Reigns and then just completely chickened out of it.

"I got my throat cut in prison and almost died, why the hell would I be afraid of The Undertaker?"

Only to, of course, have him be the 8000th person in a row to be afraid of The Undertaker.

[also for the 8000th time, why were we supposed to boo him for being a survivor of the horrible life presented in his backstory?]

I know expecting logic from sports entertainment is bad idea, but, that said, WWF/E doing the 'big man is afraid of whatever' gimmick rarely makes sense,

I was watching Saturday Night's Main Event last weekend and caught a Jake Roberts-Kamala match.  Of course, pre-match is Jake letting Damien out of the bag and Kamala running in fear.  I mean, he's supposed to be a savage from Uganda.  Seems sort of silly that he acts like he's never seen a snake before.

Every big man in a hundred mile radius calling out the Undertaker then cowering in fear when UT actually showed was silly.  I guess no one learned their lesson when the 100 dudes that feuded with UT before them talked smack about Undertaker, only to turn into jello when the music hit,

Sigh, don't even get me started on the trope of being paralyzed by confusion and fear when your match is interrupted by the entrance music of the guy you are feuding with (often without the wrestler himself appearing).  Ugh.  Wrestlers are apparently dimwits with the attention span of crows.

• Like 7

It struck me while half watching Roode and Ziggler vs Street Profits earlier that one of my number one most hated WWEisms is lazily starting a feud by having someone beat the champions in a non title match. Can there be any worse way to build excitement for an eventual title match than having a half formed, usually abridged version of that same match with nothing at stake? Particularly objectionable in the tag division, where their own stupid brand split contrivance means there are very few potential challengers and someone could just as feasibly be awarded a shot after reasonably pointing out that there are only two other tag teams, and the other just had a shot. Total garbage.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, D.Z said:

https://www.tvnotas.com.mx/noticias-espectaculos-mexico/alberto-del-rio-podria-librar-la-carcel-quieren-borrar-el-cargo-por

Several other websites as well reporting and more from Mexico. Quick twitter search with his WWE name will show more results.

Anything with an actual source? This is just speculation.