DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

7 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Jimmy Valiant is seered into my brain because of his match at i think it's Starrcade 86. My wife walked in the room as it is announced "per the contractual stipulation Manny Fernandez will be suspended in a cage above the ring". She said, why would anyone agree to that? I said I assumed it made sense at the time. 

I'm now imagining that Manny Fernandez had no prior involvement with either Valiant or Valiant's opponent, and that stipulation was just added so he could act as, I don't know, decoration or something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Who's to say Rude wouldn't have been the first to jump *back*? 

Eventually yeah he would have. But we know how Vince holds a grudge and he probably would have still been pissed about the whole being on Nitro and RAW thing at the same time. So it would have been a while.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

No idea who that guy was at all. Was Taz starting to run away with more food at the end there? ?

Luther Reigns, my friend, Luther Reigns.

As you can see here, Roman stole his best material from his uncle. (Not really his uncle, just another big dude from the Ruthless Aggression era)

Like a lot of the guys from this era, he was a better worker than you would think, if you were judging him solely on his push. Honestly, guys like Batista, Cena, and Orton were lucky, because they could have just as easily turned out like Damaja and Dinsmore and Conway. People complain about how guys like Ricochet and Black are used once they make it to the main roster, but the WWE has been doing shit like this for 20 years.

• Like 12

Anyone here watch both Impact and RAW? Because I'm wondering how similar Alexa Bliss' current innocent/ evil gimmick is to Su Yung's Hi I'm Susie/ Undead Bride gimmick. Because I don't watch Raw, but I saw some gifs and thought it looked very similar.

I just hope everyone watched that video because even though the legend is that Reigns says I HAD PEAS BEFO', if you watch it, he clearly enunciates the word "before."

This is the wrestling version of everyone swearing that Will Smith says "Welcome to Earf" in Independence Day when he clearly enunciates the word "Earth." 

And uh, happy Thanksgiving to y'all, too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone here watch both Impact and RAW? Because I'm wondering how similar Alexa Bliss' current innocent/ evil gimmick is to Su Yung's Hi I'm Susie/ Undead Bride gimmick. Because I don't watch Raw, but I saw some gifs and thought it looked very similar.

Bliss isn't innocent. Its like Bray's Mr. Rogers where the undertones is totally evil despite the "niceness" of the character. So far Bliss doesn't have a Fiend/Undead Bride monster side.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

I'm still lowkey a little mad at how they tiptoed up to the very edge of doing something outside their box with Luther Reigns and then just completely chickened out of it.

"I got my throat cut in prison and almost died, why the hell would I be afraid of The Undertaker?"

Only to, of course, have him be the 8000th person in a row to be afraid of The Undertaker.

[also for the 8000th time, why were we supposed to boo him for being a survivor of the horrible life presented in his backstory?]

• Like 2

Foley got over on Undertaker for a while and did last, although much of that is attributable to Foley's whole deal being that he endured way beyond what a normal and/or sane human being would withstand, so...

• Like 1

then again, monsters of the week aren't really meant to last long, are they?  A niche really hurt by the death of the territory system, where there was always another region and another local babyface to do the arc with.  With only national companies, all there is to look forward to after losing the big blowoff is 2.5 years of "LOL BIG MAN DANCING" skits until the contract finally runs out ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

And ramp pose and apron pose for their ring entrance.

The otherwise supremely talented blue chip prospect Ricky Starks does this. It makes me want to reach through the television screen, pull him aside and tell him that this is not the way.

I’m not even sure who the worst offender in WWE is here, they are all so bad. For me, the robotic entrance does the opposite of the intended effect and takes me OUT OF the presentation, rather than adding to it. 

• Like 2

We could easily have an entire thread dedicated to people's rankings of the top ten worst trends started/pushed by WWE. There's definitely (probably?) a good bunch of positives to comment on as well, but overall the negative effects on the industry are glaringly obvious. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not trying to mock Reigns. WWE continues to just bring guys up to the main roster with no purpose. Mark Jindrak, Luther Reigns, Nathan Jones, Chris Masters, Snitsky, etc morph into Ricochet, Aleister Black, Bobby Roode, Chad Gable.

I'd like to add to the list the invisible camera that is present for all the important moments.

• Like 2