DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Was listening to Bronco #1.

I had no idea he had a background in freestyle wrestling and judo.

He talked about Dominican wrestling for a bit which I'm not too familiar with aside from the big names that appeared on Dominicana de Espectaculos and in WWC which were Bronco, Astroman, Jack Veneno and Relámpago Hernández. He shared a story of Relámpago Hernández. Relámpago had suffered a broken leg and he had a crutch with him. He had so much heat, the captain of the PD slapped in the face at a show and they got into a fight and Relámpago ended up breaking the crutch over him.

He also mentioned he found Puerto Rican wrestling boring at first as the Dominican style was faster paced and violent compared to the Puerto Rican style which was much more psychology based with a slower pace and build. He rarely watched any of the matches, but he said a 30 minute match between Greg Valentine and Invader #1 was the one that made him appreciate the style.

He received an offer from WWE when the steroids scandal broke out, but at the same time WWC was struggling due to AWF being formed and almost everyone except for Carlos Colón and Invader #1 jumping ship (*I'll post a little bit about AWF, **AWA and how it all lead to Victor Quiñones founding IWA from the ashes of the AWA below), so he came up with a business plan and he presented it to Victor Jovica and Carlos Colón and they accepted it and he turned down the offer from the WWE in favor of working for WWC. A lot of folks jumped shipped because they weren't getting paid on time or getting paid at all. Hercules Ayala, Huracán Castillo Jr., Miguel Pérez Jr., Ray González, TNT aka Savio Vega, etc. all jumped ship to AWF.

When this occurred, Jovica and Carlos closed up Capitol Sports Promotion and then from the ashes of CSP arose the World Wrestling Council. Bronco's plan was to book himself, Carlos and Invader as the top 3 faces and to bring in foreigners as heels to face them. Among them were Abdullah the Butcher, Dick Murdoch, Dutch Mantel, Greg Valentine, etc. Bronco then saw things began to change and they began to draw again and he turned heel on Invader and Carlos.

Bronco lost his mask to Carlos in an apuestas match after he defeated Carlos for the title and in an apuestas match for Carlos hair. The remaining stipulation was an apuestas match with Bronco putting up his mask against Carlos' career which of course Carlos won. When he got unmasked a lot of folks began telling him his run as a top guy was pretty much done but he knew he had to reinvent himself. What he did to reinvent himself was cut promos in TV with his back turned to the camera. By having his back turned to the camera, the fans would be intrigued to see his face, so the simplicity of seeing his was a draw. He mentioned a lot is lost behind a mask as fans can't see facial expressions through them. He also worked with an actor who worked for the office on how to convey storytelling through facial expressions.

He talks about being attacked by fans in Puerto Rico. He talked about a fan cracking him with a hammer in the stands and him getting tired of having to fight fans on his way to the ring, so he talked to Jovica and told him they had to close a section off of the stands for their safety, but Jovica told him if fans keep paying, they had to keep up opening up the stands.

Bronco says he never liked working recklessly and he enjoyed putting together simplistic matches, more is less, basically. Dennis Rivera who's interviewing Bronco puts him over as one of the top 2 heels in Puerto Rican wrestling history along with Chicky Starr and he talks about a match they had a few years ago and Dennis said it was one of the easiest matches he's ever had as Bronco told Dennis he would lead the match and they could get the match over with as little as possible which they did.

*I am not familiar with who founded AWF, but I know it wasn't Victor Quiñones. I know Hugo Savinovich was a big part of it and he was an on camera interviewer and commentator. There's matches of theirs on YouTube. Look up AWF Puerto Rico.

**Before AWA was founded, Quiñones had founded IWA in Puerto Rico for a brief period (I posted before of the famous IWA tape from Puerto Rico that made YouTube and how a friend of mine got it directly from Quiñones as there was one copy of that tape only and how he passed on forward to another friend of mine and he began trading it online until it eventually made it's way onto YouTube). Quiñones also founded W★ING and IWA JAPAN as you all know. Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico he founded the AWA in the 90s. The AWA had a working relationship with WWE. They booked Duke Drosse, the Undertaker, Triple H, Ahmed Johnson, etc. from the WWE for their big shows. Bronco was the top guy in AWA, Savio Vega was with a member of the Nation of Domination at the time and was working with WWE and AWA, Fidel Sierra El Vengador Boricua, Ricky Banderas, Apolo, etc. all worked for AWA. The AWA was on one of the top local channels and was hot for a very short period of time and then it began losing steam with WWC getting hot again and AWA got changed to a smaller channel and it eventually folded. I remember AWA had a program between Fidel Sierra and the Undertaker that was leading to a casket match at their big show, but it got cancelled when they closed. I was bummed as I was a kid at the time and my dad was going to take me to the show before it got cancelled. Similar to CSP, AWA folded and then arose IWA which I won't talk about as that history is already out there.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Drake Wuertz posted like six pages of a note written on his iPhone talking about Bix "stalking" him.

I assume this is in response to Bix's article about Drake which cites stupid things he posts on insta, Parler, etc.

Fuck Drake Wuertz. Fuck his QAnon, Proud Boy loving ass.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Don't know how I missed that. Cheers!

Probably my finest hour, GIF reactions to THAT Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards superplex spot:

This is still Hall Of Fame Message Boarding, even if half the gifs aren't there anymore.

fortunately, some worthy replacements have popped up since:

2poyw6u.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/Mdw4bZrxP6QzWLKpoj/giphy.gif

and of course

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, D.Z said:

WWE applied for the trademarks Legend Killer, Cenation, Dean Ambrose. I am ready for fake Dean Ambrose.

Only if fake Jim Ross comes back to manage him.

No, not that Oklahoma shit from Ed Ferrara, either. Fake Jim Ross. Totally different.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Drake Wuertz posted like six pages of a note written on his iPhone talking about Bix "stalking" him.

The pots and pans banging gave it away...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Drake says he'll be praying for Bix. So he's got that going for him.

Where can we find a giant mantis to prey ON Drake?

The only wrestling I've watched since the Pandemic has been the WWE PPVs and NXT Takeovers, I was watching NWA Power sometimes MLW and NJPW PPVs. I'm thinking about renewing my NJPW world subscription soon. I want to get back into it. Watch some G1 and Best of Super Jr's. Is New Japan the best promotion in this covid era. I watched the first 5 minutes of MLW and  it wasn't bad. I'm thinking about jumping back into that. I don't want to get into a whole lot of wrestling a week. Just something easy to follow with some quality inring and sensible booking.

I maintain that Rude getting hurt at the end of '92 just before he was going to become WCW Heavyweight Champ robbed us of some all-time great television.

I've said it before, but Rude in 1992 is probably my favorite wrestler year ever. The ring work and character work were insanely good. He spent half the summer trolling Ricky Steamboat for accidentally hitting Madusa when throwing a punch, and it was legitimately one of the greatest heel troll jobs ever. What a piece of shit that character was.

Rude in 1992 is up there with Midnights in 1988, Bret in 1997, Austin in 1998, and Rock in 2003 for me. Or I guess Jim Breaks in 1978, though I have less of a bead on the breadth of his work from that year. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 9

While I do love the WCW Slam Jam love of the last few pages, I am currently loving another wrestling theme song. In a great tie-in to the "Bix is stalking Drake Younger who is a Proud Boy" news of this page, Between the Sheets' most recent episode is about Big Egg Wrestlung Universe. I've never really watched much joshi but at the end of the episode they play Aja Kong's theme and good Lord, it's so good. I want to find a .cdg version of it and sing it at karaoke if the bars ever open back up.

ETA: I have Big Egg Wrestling Universe loaded up right now actually. I'm planning on watching the tournament matches and some of the undercard. I'm checked out of current wrestling for the most part but I think I might start trying to get into joshi. Is there a joshi for beginners thread that exists, on this board or anywhere else, that people are aware of?

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 3

I really need to just mainline a bunch of All Japan's Women work in the '80s. That's a HUGE blind spot in my viewing that I need to correct. I'm going to find a match list and try to watch this winter.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

The only wrestling I've watched since the Pandemic has been the WWE PPVs and NXT Takeovers, I was watching NWA Power sometimes MLW and NJPW PPVs. I'm thinking about renewing my NJPW world subscription soon. I want to get back into it. Watch some G1 and Best of Super Jr's. Is New Japan the best promotion in this covid era. I watched the first 5 minutes of MLW and  it wasn't bad. I'm thinking about jumping back into that. I don't want to get into a whole lot of wrestling a week. Just something easy to follow with some quality inring and sensible booking.

Since the beginning of the Pandemic I've been watching/rewatching (since I didn't get to finish it on Netflix) Lucha Underground on Tubi. each episode is 45 minutes so kinda the right amount time

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Xavier Woods is going to be a host on the new G4 channel next year. I wonder how much of a cut WWE gets out of that.

Vince will think its the G1 (its been around long enough for him to know of it), will assume Woods jumped ship to throw his trombone in the trashcan and promptly fire him.