DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

24 minutes ago, D.Z said:

WWE applied for the trademarks Legend Killer, Cenation, Dean Ambrose. I am ready for fake Dean Ambrose.

Only if fake Jim Ross comes back to manage him.

No, not that Oklahoma shit from Ed Ferrara, either. Fake Jim Ross. Totally different.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Drake Wuertz posted like six pages of a note written on his iPhone talking about Bix "stalking" him.

The pots and pans banging gave it away...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Drake says he'll be praying for Bix. So he's got that going for him.

Where can we find a giant mantis to prey ON Drake?

The only wrestling I've watched since the Pandemic has been the WWE PPVs and NXT Takeovers, I was watching NWA Power sometimes MLW and NJPW PPVs. I'm thinking about renewing my NJPW world subscription soon. I want to get back into it. Watch some G1 and Best of Super Jr's. Is New Japan the best promotion in this covid era. I watched the first 5 minutes of MLW and  it wasn't bad. I'm thinking about jumping back into that. I don't want to get into a whole lot of wrestling a week. Just something easy to follow with some quality inring and sensible booking.

I maintain that Rude getting hurt at the end of '92 just before he was going to become WCW Heavyweight Champ robbed us of some all-time great television.

I've said it before, but Rude in 1992 is probably my favorite wrestler year ever. The ring work and character work were insanely good. He spent half the summer trolling Ricky Steamboat for accidentally hitting Madusa when throwing a punch, and it was legitimately one of the greatest heel troll jobs ever. What a piece of shit that character was.

Rude in 1992 is up there with Midnights in 1988, Bret in 1997, Austin in 1998, and Rock in 2003 for me. Or I guess Jim Breaks in 1978, though I have less of a bead on the breadth of his work from that year. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 9

While I do love the WCW Slam Jam love of the last few pages, I am currently loving another wrestling theme song. In a great tie-in to the "Bix is stalking Drake Younger who is a Proud Boy" news of this page, Between the Sheets' most recent episode is about Big Egg Wrestlung Universe. I've never really watched much joshi but at the end of the episode they play Aja Kong's theme and good Lord, it's so good. I want to find a .cdg version of it and sing it at karaoke if the bars ever open back up.

ETA: I have Big Egg Wrestling Universe loaded up right now actually. I'm planning on watching the tournament matches and some of the undercard. I'm checked out of current wrestling for the most part but I think I might start trying to get into joshi. Is there a joshi for beginners thread that exists, on this board or anywhere else, that people are aware of?

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 3

I really need to just mainline a bunch of All Japan's Women work in the '80s. That's a HUGE blind spot in my viewing that I need to correct. I'm going to find a match list and try to watch this winter.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

The only wrestling I've watched since the Pandemic has been the WWE PPVs and NXT Takeovers, I was watching NWA Power sometimes MLW and NJPW PPVs. I'm thinking about renewing my NJPW world subscription soon. I want to get back into it. Watch some G1 and Best of Super Jr's. Is New Japan the best promotion in this covid era. I watched the first 5 minutes of MLW and  it wasn't bad. I'm thinking about jumping back into that. I don't want to get into a whole lot of wrestling a week. Just something easy to follow with some quality inring and sensible booking.

Since the beginning of the Pandemic I've been watching/rewatching (since I didn't get to finish it on Netflix) Lucha Underground on Tubi. each episode is 45 minutes so kinda the right amount time

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Xavier Woods is going to be a host on the new G4 channel next year. I wonder how much of a cut WWE gets out of that.

Vince will think its the G1 (its been around long enough for him to know of it), will assume Woods jumped ship to throw his trombone in the trashcan and promptly fire him.

38 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Vince will think its the G1 (its been around long enough for him to know of it), will assume Woods jumped ship to throw his trombone in the trashcan and promptly fire him.

But then he'll see Shane Strickland walking around backstage, get confused, and try to fire him again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Drake Wuertz vs. Bix is the heel vs. heel feud not even Vince could screw up.  There's practically no chance the audience is going to give either of those two a babyface reaction.

Make Austin ref, like Brock/Goldberg at WM XX.

They could debate on Broken Skull Sessions too.

"Now Drake...you've got some pretty strange opinions. Is that a shoot?"

Then he'll ask them both about the Stossel incident.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

@Ziggy

NJPW's booking has been it's weak spot during the pandemic. WTL and BOTSJ are going on right now, alternating nights. They've been all solid, shorter shows. G1 Climax was good, not great. 

Mostly agree, (I've got of a kick out of EVIL's shtick than most), definitely worth re-subbing and the G1 shows were far more digestible without the prelim tags. Crowd has been present but clapping only (no shouting allowed) leading to the likes of Jay White needling them to break the rules. And when you do hear the occasional collective gasp or cheer, it's that much more special seeing folks get genuinely caught up in the moment.

Edit to add: I'm sympathetic to the feeling of checking out during the pandemic era, I checked out from March and it wasn't until about July when I could stomach the empty arenas and got back on the AEW train on a hot couple of weeks just when Eddie Kingston debuted. They'd obviously found their groove with the production etc. by then.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1