DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I always love the story about how when Frank Trigg was backstage at a TNA show and saw Sting, he only knew him as Real Estate Steve.

YES.  If I remember the story correctly, Trigg had no idea Sting was a wrestler.  There was some guy Trigg saw at his gym all the time and that guy was always talking about real estate whenever he saw him.  Fast forward to whatever TNA show that was, and Trigg happened to see Sting in the locker room and was just like, "shit, that's Real Estate Steve from the gym!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

In wrestling, does anything beat Chief Jay Strongbow, Italian-American Indian?

Donny Marlow , One of Guerrillaz of Destiny as Camacho in WWE. I think his best work was that WWE run he and Hunico 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

My sibling went for a casting call once and was told they could "do ethnic".

We're mixed Jewish/Italian/Irish, so... I guess that's not wrong?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

How about the Undertaker, who was presented for much of his career as a dead person from Hell even though he is actually a living person from Texas. Does that count? I mean, "living" and "dead" are not technically ethnicities, but...

Death Valley is a national park on the California/Arizona border, Undertaker has always been All-American

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2017/04/36638d5727846cdb-600x338.jpg

[With Survivor Series and The Undertaker fresh in the zeitgeist this week of course I'm keen to reference one of my favorite UT moments.  Yes, I was and still am absolutely giddy that they remembered to have "The Dead Man" pledge allegiance to an outdated version of the flag, even if they still got the era wrong.]

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Some magnificent bastard here once redid the lyrics for Man Called Sting as "Real Estate Steve" and it was tremendous.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7630-march-2019-wrestling-talk/page/48/&tab=comments#comment-850664

Perhaps my Finest Hour on the board

• Thanks 5

58 minutes ago, Dog said:

The guy doing Ron's song looks positively THRILLED to be there.

There's another clip of him and a few others listening to playback and he looks pretty happy with the final result. He was probably just trying to get into the zone before recording. 

--

This video quality isn't as good as the others.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shane said:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these. I've always found wrestling in PR fascinating, but it's probably the territory that, other than the Brody story, I know least about in terms of behind the scenes stuff. The podcast notes you've been posting sent me down a youtube rabbit hole this past weekend that I rather enjoyed!

?

No problem. Glad you folks are enjoying reading these. English is my second language, so if some of the sentences don't make much sense, let me know and I'll clarify as best as I can.

Along with the cliff notes, I'll throw in some of my own stories as my uncle was Hercules Ayala (although my memories of him are very little as I never interacted with him again since I was a child in the 80s, but my dad is always sharing stories about him and the road trips he went on with him) and I also know some folks who were heavily involved in Puerto Rican wrestling.

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm pretty sure that Cliff Curtis is the only Oceanic actor to portray Jesus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Don't know how I missed that. Cheers!

Probably my finest hour, GIF reactions to THAT Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards superplex spot:

Or this from the Most Hated Wrestler thread:

"Hulk Hogan. Hated him for always winning, a sore loser when beat fairly, his repeated backstage politics like at Starrcade 1997 vs. Sting and worse of all, he's a racist piece of shit. I have utter contempt for the Hulkster. Fuck you, Hulk Hogan. Fuck right off."

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 7:35 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I have been at wrestling cards in at least 11 states and 3 countries.  In my experience, "mutant" is an apt descriptor for Philly crowds. They are vicious, ugly (inside & out) and unrelenting. That said, they are passionate, loyal and genuine. I love going to shows in thee Hostile City.

- RAF

p.s. - off the top of my bean, Florida crowds were quite racist, NY's are demanding (discerning and privileged), Wisconsin=drunk.

My experience with NC indie crowds is that they're extremely nice and might be one of the easiest places to be.  Then again, my experience with those crowds is largely CWF, NJPW, and Chikara.

Was listening to Bronco #1.

I had no idea he had a background in freestyle wrestling and judo.

He talked about Dominican wrestling for a bit which I'm not too familiar with aside from the big names that appeared on Dominicana de Espectaculos and in WWC which were Bronco, Astroman, Jack Veneno and Relámpago Hernández. He shared a story of Relámpago Hernández. Relámpago had suffered a broken leg and he had a crutch with him. He had so much heat, the captain of the PD slapped in the face at a show and they got into a fight and Relámpago ended up breaking the crutch over him.

He also mentioned he found Puerto Rican wrestling boring at first as the Dominican style was faster paced and violent compared to the Puerto Rican style which was much more psychology based with a slower pace and build. He rarely watched any of the matches, but he said a 30 minute match between Greg Valentine and Invader #1 was the one that made him appreciate the style.

He received an offer from WWE when the steroids scandal broke out, but at the same time WWC was struggling due to AWF being formed and almost everyone except for Carlos Colón and Invader #1 jumping ship (*I'll post a little bit about AWF, **AWA and how it all lead to Victor Quiñones founding IWA from the ashes of the AWA below), so he came up with a business plan and he presented it to Victor Jovica and Carlos Colón and they accepted it and he turned down the offer from the WWE in favor of working for WWC. A lot of folks jumped shipped because they weren't getting paid on time or getting paid at all. Hercules Ayala, Huracán Castillo Jr., Miguel Pérez Jr., Ray González, TNT aka Savio Vega, etc. all jumped ship to AWF.

When this occurred, Jovica and Carlos closed up Capitol Sports Promotion and then from the ashes of CSP arose the World Wrestling Council. Bronco's plan was to book himself, Carlos and Invader as the top 3 faces and to bring in foreigners as heels to face them. Among them were Abdullah the Butcher, Dick Murdoch, Dutch Mantel, Greg Valentine, etc. Bronco then saw things began to change and they began to draw again and he turned heel on Invader and Carlos.

Bronco lost his mask to Carlos in an apuestas match after he defeated Carlos for the title and in an apuestas match for Carlos hair. The remaining stipulation was an apuestas match with Bronco putting up his mask against Carlos' career which of course Carlos won. When he got unmasked a lot of folks began telling him his run as a top guy was pretty much done but he knew he had to reinvent himself. What he did to reinvent himself was cut promos in TV with his back turned to the camera. By having his back turned to the camera, the fans would be intrigued to see his face, so the simplicity of seeing his was a draw. He mentioned a lot is lost behind a mask as fans can't see facial expressions through them. He also worked with an actor who worked for the office on how to convey storytelling through facial expressions.

He talks about being attacked by fans in Puerto Rico. He talked about a fan cracking him with a hammer in the stands and him getting tired of having to fight fans on his way to the ring, so he talked to Jovica and told him they had to close a section off of the stands for their safety, but Jovica told him if fans keep paying, they had to keep up opening up the stands.

Bronco says he never liked working recklessly and he enjoyed putting together simplistic matches, more is less, basically. Dennis Rivera who's interviewing Bronco puts him over as one of the top 2 heels in Puerto Rican wrestling history along with Chicky Starr and he talks about a match they had a few years ago and Dennis said it was one of the easiest matches he's ever had as Bronco told Dennis he would lead the match and they could get the match over with as little as possible which they did.

*I am not familiar with who founded AWF, but I know it wasn't Victor Quiñones. I know Hugo Savinovich was a big part of it and he was an on camera interviewer and commentator. There's matches of theirs on YouTube. Look up AWF Puerto Rico.

**Before AWA was founded, Quiñones had founded IWA in Puerto Rico for a brief period (I posted before of the famous IWA tape from Puerto Rico that made YouTube and how a friend of mine got it directly from Quiñones as there was one copy of that tape only and how he passed on forward to another friend of mine and he began trading it online until it eventually made it's way onto YouTube). Quiñones also founded W★ING and IWA JAPAN as you all know. Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico he founded the AWA in the 90s. The AWA had a working relationship with WWE. They booked Duke Drosse, the Undertaker, Triple H, Ahmed Johnson, etc. from the WWE for their big shows. Bronco was the top guy in AWA, Savio Vega was with a member of the Nation of Domination at the time and was working with WWE and AWA, Fidel Sierra El Vengador Boricua, Ricky Banderas, Apolo, etc. all worked for AWA. The AWA was on one of the top local channels and was hot for a very short period of time and then it began losing steam with WWC getting hot again and AWA got changed to a smaller channel and it eventually folded. I remember AWA had a program between Fidel Sierra and the Undertaker that was leading to a casket match at their big show, but it got cancelled when they closed. I was bummed as I was a kid at the time and my dad was going to take me to the show before it got cancelled. Similar to CSP, AWA folded and then arose IWA which I won't talk about as that history is already out there.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Drake Wuertz posted like six pages of a note written on his iPhone talking about Bix "stalking" him.

I assume this is in response to Bix's article about Drake which cites stupid things he posts on insta, Parler, etc.

Fuck Drake Wuertz. Fuck his QAnon, Proud Boy loving ass.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Don't know how I missed that. Cheers!

Probably my finest hour, GIF reactions to THAT Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards superplex spot:

This is still Hall Of Fame Message Boarding, even if half the gifs aren't there anymore.

fortunately, some worthy replacements have popped up since:

2poyw6u.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/Mdw4bZrxP6QzWLKpoj/giphy.gif

and of course

• Thanks 1