DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Funny thing is it wasn't until I was watching '92 WCW on the network that I got around to listening to this.  But it quickly found its way to my cheesy-music-loving heart.

And because I apparently have too much time on my hands here's my rankings (I'm so sorry in advance to those who don't care for this discussion but I'll put the following in spoiler box)

Spoiler

Don't Step to Ron (Ron Simmons) - This and Rude's are the tiniest of gaps between first and second.  I equally love them both.

Simply Ravishing ("Ravishing" Rick Rude)

Man Called Sting (Sting)

Steinerized (Steiner Brothers) - Find it amusing that they couldn't use this theme until '96 when the Steiners came back to WCW.

The Natural (Dustin Rhodes) - Spells out Dustin's whole story in a corny yet endearing way.

The Dragon (Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat) - I would have hated this in '92 but I'm in love with the Steely Dan vibe to this.

Mr. Bang Bang (Cactus Jack) - Very underrated track and great in its own right.

Master of the DDT (Jake "The Snake" Roberts) - Has a late 80s vibe to it that I kind of dig.

Freebird Forever (The Freebirds) - I like and hate the fact that it's such a knock-off of Freebird.  But I can't hate on that solo even if the lyrics suck ass.

Johnny B. Badd (Johnny B. Badd)

He's Smokin' (Barry Windham)

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Some magnificent bastard here once redid the lyrics for Man Called Sting as "Real Estate Steve" and it was tremendous.

I always love the story about how when Frank Trigg was backstage at a TNA show and saw Sting, he only knew him as Real Estate Steve.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Simply Ravishing is an all time great, love seeing the Making Of video. Always wondered the names of the artists involved, she did killer vocals.

Steinerized and The Dragon's Family Man were both pretty hilarious lyrically. 

I'm not saying that the women don't fall all over him...but he don't give in.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I always love the story about how when Frank Trigg was backstage at a TNA show and saw Sting, he only knew him as Real Estate Steve.

YES.  If I remember the story correctly, Trigg had no idea Sting was a wrestler.  There was some guy Trigg saw at his gym all the time and that guy was always talking about real estate whenever he saw him.  Fast forward to whatever TNA show that was, and Trigg happened to see Sting in the locker room and was just like, "shit, that's Real Estate Steve from the gym!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

In wrestling, does anything beat Chief Jay Strongbow, Italian-American Indian?

Donny Marlow , One of Guerrillaz of Destiny as Camacho in WWE. I think his best work was that WWE run he and Hunico 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

My sibling went for a casting call once and was told they could "do ethnic".

We're mixed Jewish/Italian/Irish, so... I guess that's not wrong?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

How about the Undertaker, who was presented for much of his career as a dead person from Hell even though he is actually a living person from Texas. Does that count? I mean, "living" and "dead" are not technically ethnicities, but...

Death Valley is a national park on the California/Arizona border, Undertaker has always been All-American

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2017/04/36638d5727846cdb-600x338.jpg

[With Survivor Series and The Undertaker fresh in the zeitgeist this week of course I'm keen to reference one of my favorite UT moments.  Yes, I was and still am absolutely giddy that they remembered to have "The Dead Man" pledge allegiance to an outdated version of the flag, even if they still got the era wrong.]

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Some magnificent bastard here once redid the lyrics for Man Called Sting as "Real Estate Steve" and it was tremendous.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7630-march-2019-wrestling-talk/page/48/&tab=comments#comment-850664

Perhaps my Finest Hour on the board

• Thanks 5

58 minutes ago, Dog said:

The guy doing Ron's song looks positively THRILLED to be there.

There's another clip of him and a few others listening to playback and he looks pretty happy with the final result. He was probably just trying to get into the zone before recording. 

--

This video quality isn't as good as the others.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shane said:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these. I've always found wrestling in PR fascinating, but it's probably the territory that, other than the Brody story, I know least about in terms of behind the scenes stuff. The podcast notes you've been posting sent me down a youtube rabbit hole this past weekend that I rather enjoyed!

?

No problem. Glad you folks are enjoying reading these. English is my second language, so if some of the sentences don't make much sense, let me know and I'll clarify as best as I can.

Along with the cliff notes, I'll throw in some of my own stories as my uncle was Hercules Ayala (although my memories of him are very little as I never interacted with him again since I was a child in the 80s, but my dad is always sharing stories about him and the road trips he went on with him) and I also know some folks who were heavily involved in Puerto Rican wrestling.

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm pretty sure that Cliff Curtis is the only Oceanic actor to portray Jesus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Don't know how I missed that. Cheers!

Probably my finest hour, GIF reactions to THAT Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards superplex spot:

Or this from the Most Hated Wrestler thread:

"Hulk Hogan. Hated him for always winning, a sore loser when beat fairly, his repeated backstage politics like at Starrcade 1997 vs. Sting and worse of all, he's a racist piece of shit. I have utter contempt for the Hulkster. Fuck you, Hulk Hogan. Fuck right off."

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 7:35 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I have been at wrestling cards in at least 11 states and 3 countries.  In my experience, "mutant" is an apt descriptor for Philly crowds. They are vicious, ugly (inside & out) and unrelenting. That said, they are passionate, loyal and genuine. I love going to shows in thee Hostile City.

- RAF

p.s. - off the top of my bean, Florida crowds were quite racist, NY's are demanding (discerning and privileged), Wisconsin=drunk.

My experience with NC indie crowds is that they're extremely nice and might be one of the easiest places to be.  Then again, my experience with those crowds is largely CWF, NJPW, and Chikara.