DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

11 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Wisconsin=drunk.

I will vouch for this being true as a resident Wisconsinite who doesn't partake of the libations or spirits.

• Like 1

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

In wrestling, does anything beat Chief Jay Strongbow, Italian-American Indian?

• Like 3

Was listening to a podcast with El Profe. He sounded like the nicest guy.

He talked about a first blood match he had with Rico Suave. He said they wanted to bleed hardway, so they were working stiff and throwing bombs at each other and he was scheduled to go over so it took about 18 right hands to crack Rico's skull open.

He talked about Chicky Starr and Bronco #1 having so much heat that Bronco's car got set on fire in Loiza and Chicky's car got set on fire in Vega Baja. Chicky was born, raised and lived in Vega Baja, so folks saw him grow up there and he was still able to generate enough heat that they still set his car on fire.

He shared a story of when Su Yung met him. He says she gave him a hug and thanked him because thanks to his feud with Monster Ripper she was now able to participate in intergender matches.

He got paid $35 for his first week managing Savio Vega as TNT and he felt he got lowballed so he complained and the office told him to take it easy as things would get better. The following week he got paid around the same amount. The third week he was so paid so much he was able to pay all his bills and he still had $1,500 leftover.

He said he got so much heat when he was a heel manager, he would have to leave his car parked far from the arena and cops would have to pick him up and drop him off at the venues and then they would have to give him rides back. He said there were times when he would have so much heat, they wouldn't let him walk out to be seen in public and he would get paid $300 just for arriving at the venues.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All this talk of wrestlers playing different ethnicities reminds me of the actor Cliff Curtis, a native Maori who has played Latino, Indian, vague Middle Eastern, and essentially any role where someone "sort of brown" was needed.

Italian-Americans portraying Native Americans in media was pretty common back in the day, with the biggest example being Iron Eyes Cody aka Espera de Corti.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Was listening to a podcast with El Profe. He sounded like the nicest guy.

*snip*

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these. I've always found wrestling in PR fascinating, but it's probably the territory that, other than the Brody story, I know least about in terms of behind the scenes stuff. The podcast notes you've been posting sent me down a youtube rabbit hole this past weekend that I rather enjoyed!

• Like 3

Speaking of Johnny B. Badd again, the lyrics to his theme were elite: 

Here comes Johnny B. Badd/

And you don't wanna make him mad/

He's as pretty as a picture/

He looks just like Little Richard/

I love everything off Slam Jam Vol. 1, even the terrible stuff. It's so catchy. I remember back when I had the Network in its first days, one of the things I went to early on was WCW 1992, and having Rick Rude come out without "Simply Ravishing" was terrible. I'm glad they went and paid for the rights to that stuff, at least. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Speaking of Johnny B. Badd again, the lyrics to his theme were elite: 

Here comes Johnny B. Badd/

And you don't wanna make him mad/

He's as pretty as a picture/

He looks just like Little Richard/

I love everything off Slam Jam Vol. 1, even the terrible stuff. It's so catchy. I remember back when I had the Network in its first days, one of the things I went to early on was WCW 1992, and having Ric Rude come out without "Simply Ravishing" was terrible. I'm glad they went and paid for the rights to that stuff, at least. 

The Saturday Night episode right before Starrcade '92 had his and other Slam Jam themes there as is.  And yes it was also a treat to hear "Simply Ravishing" along with Cactus's theme (though I personally like the funeral dirge overdub for him).  The downside to that is that it proved Steamboat did come out to that Steely Dan-like theme.  Loved the song but as a wrestling theme with lyrics about him being a family man despite women wanting him is mind-boggling.  I do know that in later PPVs Dustin's theme was intact even though they had generic stuff dubbed over most of his '92 entrances.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If you lived in Texas in the 80's, fake Von Erich came surprisingly close.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Infinit said:

C'mon guys...the best SlamJam theme was Don't Step To Ron

Rude's is incredibly catchy but Ron's is the best one on there.  It just seemed like a more natural fit for him than Rude's did.  And the rest of the album has some mostly enjoyable tunes though it has me wishing I got this in '92.  Ten-year-old me would have been all over this album.

And thank goodness for a slow workday as I now have this playing in the background.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Italian-Americans portraying Native Americans in media was pretty common back in the day, with the biggest example being Iron Eyes Cody aka Espera de Corti.

Not to mention being a key plot point to Requiem For A Heavyweight.

I believe Nikolai Volkoff was the only Russian wrestler who was actually of Slavic descent...

This might be more for the UK news, but whatever - from what I can tell, wrestling shows at 50% capacity will be possible (up to a thousand inside, more outside but it's cold).

Will be curious to see if Progress and others try to run shows - I think no alcohol without a substantial meal rule will be in place but maybe pizzas can be arranged.

• Thanks 1

I thought it was up to 40% capacity in Tier 1 locations, which is the most allowed under BoJo's proposal? Sorry, I know about this because I'm watching the Premier League and they're talking about it at the half. 

EDIT: Well, it looks like crowds of up to 4K: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/23/crowds-of-up-to-4000-and-grassroots-sport-to-return-once-lockdown-ends

It'll be interesting to hear from y'all what UK promotions end up doing over the next few months based on these post-lockdown rules.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It just seemed like a more natural fit for him than Rude's did. 

I have to disagree when it comes to full presentation. Rude coming out in a robe with Madusa and Paul Heyman while wearing the U.S. Championship as this music hit made him look like he was top-tier. It seemed like a great fit to me. 

My three favorite songs from Slam Jam were all perfect fits for their wrestlers to me, but I also get preferring Don't Step to Ron because, come on, that joint still slaps. 

• Like 3