DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Correction: Big Dog not Big Don. So Roman.

Controller : from Robert Half:

"A controller oversees an organization's daily accounting operations, including the accounting, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable departments. The controller also helps guide a company's strategic financial decisions — and is therefore integral to the financial health of the firm."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have never heard of the corporate position of "Controller". Being WWE I'm surprised they don't have a "Dominator". 

It's a fairly commonplace job title.  Basically, it's an managerial position where the person is responsible for all accounting-related activities and supervises the accounting staff.  If the firm is large enough to have a chief financial officer, the controller probably reports to the CFO.  If it's not a large company, the controller may be the head of the accounting dept and also making investment decisions and the like.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Correction: Big Dog not Big Don.

Phew... Big Don sounded like one of those terrible Vince story cycles (Vince calls himself “The Big Don”, humiliates several wrestlers, feuds with top face for 2-3 months, gets soundly thrashed at a PPV by top face, Vince shows up at Raw and a lower-card wrestler snickers at him, Vince announces new fascistic policy (“Zero Tolerance”/“Merciless Power”/“Violent Reprisals”), repeat next step, repeat next step, etc.)

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, Edwin said:

Was listening to Rico Suave and Dennis Rivera on a separate podcast. Rico told a story from a personal experience of his with Abdullah the Butcher. Abdullah was working some dates in Puerto Rico and he asked Rico for some photos of his to send to bookers in Japan to try and get him booked over there. Rico gave them to him, but didn't make much of it. The following Monday morning Rico gets a call from Atlanta and it's Abdullah, but Rico thinks it's a prank call and he hangs up on him. He receives another call from Atlanta and again he hangs up. Then Carlos calls Rico and tells him to call Abdullah back at the number that was calling him from Atlanta that he kept hanging up on. Rico calls Abdullah back and Abdullah tells him Mad Man Pondo was scheduled to do a tour of Big Japan along with him, but he had to cancel the tour and Abdullah had suggested Rico as a replacement and that he needed to send his passport express mail so Abdullah could have that same afternoon to get the paperwork started with the Big Japan office. Abdullah also told Rico to go buy a plane ticket to Japan and that the office would reimburse him for it once they arrived in Japan. Rico calls Carlos back and tells him about the offer and Carlos directs him to a traveling agency in Puerto Rico. Rico arrives at the traveling agency and the agent tells him it's $1,982 for a two way plane ticket. Rico leaves and calls Carlos and tells him how much it is and that he doesn't have the money to pay for it as he was working undercard matches and managing so he wasn't making that much money at the time. Carlos tells him to call Abdullah and to talk with Abdullah. Rico calls and Abdullah tells him to go back to the traveling agency and to call him once he was there. Rico returns and calls Abdullah and Abdullah puts his wife on the phone and she organizes the flight and Abdullah pays for Rico's ticket. The agent hands Rico the receipt for the reimbursement and it's $2,700. A couple of days pass and Rico flies to Japan. Upon arriving he meets Abdullah and they both meet with Kojika at the Big Japan office and Kojika reimburses Abdullah for plane ticket. When they leave the office, Abdullah tells Rico he knew the travel agent and he told him to make the receipt for $2,700. Abdullah gave the extra $700 to Rico so he could spend the early part of the tour without having to ask for a payment in advance as Rico only had $138 to spend for the early part of the tour until he got paid. Rico worked several Big Japan tours as Crazy Sheik.

He also told a story he had on one of his tours of Big Japan with the young lions. He said he saw them building the ring and he was going to help them and Abdullah told him not to because he was a main eventing foreigner. Rico insisted in helping them. A couple of days later they have a day off and he is training and after the training he showers and when he gets out of the shower, his ring gear was missing and he asked around and no one knew where it was. Before the next show on the tour, one of the young lions comes up to Rico and he hands him his ring gear all washed up and folded and told him they were thankful and they respected Rico because despite being in the main event, he still set time aside to help them put the ring together and after that he grew closer to them and that opened the door for him to do several other tours with Big Japan.

He also said he met Stan Hansen on one of his tours and Hansen asked who he was and he said José Estrada's son. Hansen said he was a friend of his father and he took him drinking that day with him and Rico said it was the biggest mistake he made on tour as Hansen could drink like crazy.

As a young kid Abby scared the shit out of me in WCW. I met him a few times in the early 2000's and I will say for every good story about him there will be a bad one. He cares more about money than 85% of pro wrestlers not named Hulk Hogan

35 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

As a young kid Abby scared the shit out of me in WCW. I met him a few times in the early 2000's and I will say for every good story about him there will be a bad one. He cares more about money than 85% of pro wrestlers not named Hulk Hogan

The first time I saw Abby was when International Wrestling in Montreal hyped his arrival in 84/85 by showing videos of him literally butchering Dino Bravo in New Japan. I was terrified of him.

• Like 2

That IG live with Taker and Snoop was sort of Ackward, especially early on with Taker Kayfaybing. Snoop is such a big fan and you can tell he was enjoying interviewing Taker. It seems they'll continue doing projects together in the future so thats cool. I'm a big fan of both so its good to see to different universes together, its just a shame WWE isn't as socially relevant now. If they become the next Offset and Flair that would be dope because Flairs social relevance in pop culture right now has nothing to do with WWE which is great. He's got one of the top NBA players Damian Lillard with shoes inspired by him. I think WWE might make it difficult for Undertaker to get to that level because they'll probably want their hands in everything.  WWE is so behind in pop culture that people have more success when they aren't working with WWE like Sasha getting the Star War project off of the Hot ones episode 

• Like 2