DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I wonder if they'll allow more fans in. I think Desantis lifted limits on occupancy at the arena owners discretion but of course, I don't expect Tropicana to allow anything close to full occupancy. But, knowing the WWE and Vince...

I guess they could do something similar like NXT with letting some fans in, or could just be screens for more months. But WWE does want lots of fans in when Wrestlemania happens.

Edited by D.Z

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

What are AEW tickets prices? Maybe they have to treat their tapings like Center Stage and offer free or cheap tickets to maintain numbers?

Seeing as they just had Bischoff there*, he would adamantly say offering free tickets is a really, really bad idea.

*For anyone to do whether it be WWE or AEW

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Infinit said:

Thank goodness Bischoff doesn't make any decisions in AEW lol

That's one thing that's hard to disagree with though. It took him years to dig WCW out of that hole when it came to giving away free tickets, which is funny considering the BatB 95 and the vanity project Sturgis events. Anyway, the very idea is to get a lot people there. Turns out if you're doing tapings and live events on a regular basis, that turns out not to be the case. Then, when you try to charge regular admission, people say fuck off when they're use to getting stuff for free. So you've created two problems: showing desperation by offering free tickets and undercutting yourself when you do want to make money.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's one thing that's hard to disagree with though. It took him years to dig WCW out of that hole when it came to giving away free tickets, which is funny considering the BatB 95 and the vanity project Sturgis events. Anyway, the very idea is to get a lot people there. Turns out if you're doing tapings and live events on a regular basis, that turns out not to be the case. Then, when you try to charge regular admission, people say fuck off when they're use to getting stuff for free. So you've created two problems: showing desperation by offering free tickets and undercutting yourself when you do want to make money.

You are correct, but remember I'm only talking about while they are stuck in Jacksonville and are depending on locals to come out 4 times a month. Kind of like what WCW did with their Center Stage tapings. I'm confident that people will still buy tickets at normal value when things get back to normal and they are touring even though they sold heavily discounted/free tickets in Jacksonville during the pandemic.

22 minutes ago, Infinit said:

What are AEW tickets prices? Maybe they have to treat their tapings like Center Stage and offer free or cheap tickets to maintain numbers?

$30-$60. If they were doing a residency at an amphitheater here I would try to go every week. But there’s only going to be so many diehard fans out there. 

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

You are correct, but remember I'm only talking about while they are stuck in Jacksonville and are depending on locals to come out 4 times a month. Kind of like what WCW did with their Center Stage tapings. I'm confident that people will still buy tickets at normal value when things get back to normal and they are touring even though they sold heavily discounted/free tickets in Jacksonville during the pandemic.

Well that's a much different era of wrestling though. Moreover, I don't think anyone in wrestling wants to go back to that.

With that said, is it that hard for people to admit no one (OR at least not that many people as you think) is (are) overly enthused to come out and support your wrestling week in and out? You should go to a studio based setup that's more intimate or you need to move venues. Either way, you need a change of scenery. Free tickets ain't it.

Meltzer pointed out the problems AEW and even WWE would eventually have with tickets pointing to the issues WWF ran into running the Manhattan Center every week. Business was great at first and then it becomes tough getting people to go there each and every week even with cheap tickets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ha, that's one of the main problems that Beach Volleyball faces in the US. Everyone is used to not having to pay, so whenever someone tries to charge admission, people balk at it.

But if WWE does move to an outdoor venue I wonder how long it would be before burnout. Could they make it a whole month? Their booking and presentation is pretty wacky so I wonder.

• Thanks 1

So I know the show's going on but Moxley just said in his promo that Renee is pregnant ("I've got a pregnant wife at home.") . Checking online it looks like the first time either of them said anything about it so congrats to them both. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So I know the show's going on but Moxley just said in his promo that Renee is pregnant ("I've got a pregnant wife at home.") . Checking online it looks like the first time either of them said anything about it so congrats to them both. 

Renee just posted something on her instagram, so I guess she knew he was going to say it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Renee just posted something on her instagram, so I guess she knew he was going to say it.

I checked there before posting here and it wasn't up yet. So while I knew she was gonna post something I found it funny that Mox calmly saying it in a promo is how they broke the news. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Congratulations to Jon Moxley and Renee Young xxx!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wasn't aware PWI were doing a top 50 Tag Teams. The inaugural number one tag team...

Spoiler

I'd also go with FTR. Honourable mentions to the Golden Role Models, The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega/Hangman Page. Golden Role Models for drawing as well on TV. I'd have kept them a little longer together.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I still love Rocky Horror and Phantom of the Paradise! 

They remastered prints of Phantom of the Paradise a couple years ago, apparently. I got to see a midnight showing of it, which is the best time to see that film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Amusingly, Bayley knew about it before Mox did. Renee went to text him, and texted her instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1