DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

9 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Help me out here: this is like a backyard wrestling streaming PPV, but by former WWE/veteran/indy workers, with a StrangleMania sense of humor and a lower effects budget than Total Nonstop Deletion? I might be with Mr. Orton on this, but I never begrudge a carny making a payday. Who orders this?

- confused, as always,

RAF

I ordered this. It's supposed to be so bad it's good. And I can safely say that that works as long as you're not sober which worked for me. But it was good dumb fun. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, just drew said:

Then it's not as much fun to think about....

Cardona hasn't talked shit about WWE once since his release, he puts the blame on not being pushed when he was super over on himself.

Also, Orton is promoting the TalknShopAMania PPV, not shitting on it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cardona hasn't talked shit about WWE once since his release, he puts the blame on not being pushed when he was super over on himself.

Also, Orton is promoting the TalknShopAMania PPV, not shitting on it.

Oh, I know. Just having some fun.

Sorry to sound morbid but does anybody know if the archive for the thread on Eddie's death is still around? I remember a lot of it like it was yesterday but since it's been 15 years would like to see it again. Thanks in advance. 

And yeah, watching his stuff today is wonderful but fuck does it hurt to watch. He wouldn't be wrestling by now but he'd kill it as an on screen character and make you give a damn. 

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sorry to sound morbid but does anybody know if the archive for the thread on Eddie's death is still around? I remember a lot of it like it was yesterday but since it's been 15 years would like to see it again. Thanks in advance. 

And yeah, watching his stuff today is wonderful but fuck does it hurt to watch. He wouldn't be wrestling by now but he'd kill it as an on screen character and make you give a damn. 

Try going to the way back machine and checking that way? That's how i grabbed an old league of legends forum post i wanted to toss up on reddit.

SAG and their President have taken notice of the Zelina stuff on Twitter, asking her to reach out to them via email. If the plan is for WWE to actually stop running live events even when the pandemic is over, whenever that is, then this opens the door for SAG and wrestlers. The way I understand it is that they have no jurisdiction over things that aren't filmed, and that was an issue for theater actors as well. Apparently that ended up with them getting two types of contract, televised and non-televised.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Try going to the way back machine and checking that way? That's how i grabbed an old league of legends forum post i wanted to toss up on reddit.

Honestly I was busy checking out his stuff and didn't have a chance to check yet. But I guess I was asking so I can see how my chances are when I do check. 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, El Gran Gordi said:

It's like there's a McDonald's in the neighbourhood and we all went there as kids and have very fond memories of how happy we'd be and how much we enjoyed it. But now the place is filthy and the staff are rude and the buns are stale. The owner has clearly lost his mind and has, let's say, put up signs banning masks from his establishment. 

Meanwhile, just down the road there is a Five Guys or a Shake Shack and while they are not perfect, the staff are friendly and seem to genuinely want to make their customers happy, and the food is fresh...

And just down the road there's this really great Japanese place that everyone really seems to be enjoying.

After a while, even though you still have those nostalgic feelings for the old McD's... you really won't miss it any more. You'll be glad you moved on.

It occurs to me that right now McDonald's Japan has double cheeseburger flavoured fries, which taste slightly of pickles, and NXT UK recently had WALTER vs Dragunov, which was also insanely great.

So, just because I am no longer really a McDs/WWE/NXT guy, it doesn't mean I can't pop over once in a while to enjoy something I have heard is good.

NXT-UK-WALTER-Ilja-Dragunov-1-645x370.jp

shakapotato-cheese2020_l.png?20201105164

(pictured: essentially the same thing)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll just throw this out here: What do you guys think is the ideal length for a wrestling match? I understand this varies from match to match quite a bit, but for your personal preference and enjoyment, how do you prefer it most?

After giving some thought to it, I'd say around 15 minutes is optimal. 12-18 range. You can tell a story, get a bunch of stuff in, let it breathe a bit and not overstay your welcome. Short sprints can be fun, epics can be awesome, but for the most part I like stuff that goes around that 15-minute mark. How about you?

• Like 4

I think 15's about right for the average match, any less and I'll usually be disappointed, unless it's a squash match or anything else where the relative shortness of the match is the story being told. I don't really worry too much about star ratings, but I can't see anything below about 25 minutes as a worthy of a top grade, any less and I'm probably going to feel like something's been held back.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Andrew Yang is moving down to Georgia with his wife for the next couple months.  I don't want to get into it here but what he will be doing down there is far more important than anything to do with wrestling unions. 

Yep. And we are happy to have the help. We have a lot of work to do...

• Like 8

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Help me out here: this is like a backyard wrestling streaming PPV, but by former WWE/veteran/indy workers, with a StrangleMania sense of humor and a lower effects budget than Total Nonstop Deletion? I might be with Mr. Orton on this, but I never begrudge a carny making a payday. Who orders this?

- confused, as always,

RAF

Carnies willing to learn.

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Andrew Yang is moving down to Georgia with his wife for the next couple months.  I don't want to get into it here but what he will be doing down there is far more important than anything to do with wrestling unions. 

Peach farming.

• Haha 1

For those that are advocating for Zelina Vega to sign with AEW, now would be a good time to remind them about the Jacksonville Jaguars. One of Tony Khans's other toys aren't the bastion of virtue when it comes to respecting collective bargaining agreements:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/nfl-players-association-warns-players-against-signing-jacksonville-jaguars-1477540%3famp=1

Edited by cubbymark

Speaking of Zelina, someone who knows how to make such stuff ought to use that one gif from that mixed tag (maybe from last year?) where she's all like "come here" and put the text "C'MON, LET'S UNIONIZE!!!" onto it. That could get some attention at this time.

58 minutes ago, Ryan said:

From who, 18 people on twitter? WWE's legal department?

Yeah, well...good attention isn't always guaranteed. Especially considering that the original gif in question probably didn't garner what would be considered "good" attention in the first place. I just thought at this moment in time it would be quite appropriate. Well, not appropriate, but fitting.

Edited by Shartnado
Elaborating

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I'll just throw this out here: What do you guys think is the ideal length for a wrestling match? I understand this varies from match to match quite a bit, but for your personal preference and enjoyment, how do you prefer it most?

After giving some thought to it, I'd say around 15 minutes is optimal. 12-18 range. You can tell a story, get a bunch of stuff in, let it breathe a bit and not overstay your welcome. Short sprints can be fun, epics can be awesome, but for the most part I like stuff that goes around that 15-minute mark. How about you?

Agreed on 15 minutes being more or less the sweet spot. I've been thinking about this for years, and of course it's all relative to what anyone watches and what's formed their expectations for a match over time, but anything stretching past 20 really starts to test my attention span, and begins feeling more like an exercise in just getting to an arbitrary time spot rather than an organic development of the bout--unless people are really clicking with one another, or there's a compelling narrative reason for stretching things out.

This has really been a thing for me in NJPW over the last few years, as the big bouts have stretched closer to King's Road lengths rather than the traditional strong style sub-20 minute matchtimes. It has definitely made me appreciate the G1 a lot more, given the hard 30 minute time limit on block match-ups, with most seeming to hew closer to 18-22 minutes.

• Like 1