DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

During a pandemic when the amount of people they are trying to use onsite is probably limited? What roles are they suitable for that aren't likely already occupied?

How am I supposed to answer that? Do you have access to everyone's resumes? Because I don't. 

The business is changing, and we are entering an era of new different money streams. It will be interesting.

However, I believe that true pro wrestling has to do with emotional resonance, a bonding with the sport, workers and company by becoming emotionally involved as a fan. The best way to do this, as my aged eyes see it, is via live events. That is where the magic happens, if you will. The socialization, the communion, the power of the moment, the immediacy and the crowd is was makes memories. Kids going to an event with their parents and/or friends, adults bonding over this shared experience, and the power of a wrestler making you feel something right there - TV/streaming/DVD/YouTube/etc is secondary to this. TV is a cold medium, no substitute for the live experience. Going to a card is what makes lifelong fans, be it a TV taping, indy show in a gym or bar, or a Starrcade.

Yeah, yeah, the COVIDs, the Saudi petroblooddollars, the costs - all I know is what worked before. I don't know from stocks and investors but I have been to plenty of rasslin shows and there isn't one that would have been more memorable on tape or PPV than it was for me live.

- RAF "I'd rather be in the bleachers than on my couch, dammit"

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its business. When you no longer have a role you tend to be let go. Its a shitty situation, but I don't necessarily think its shitty of a company for releasing you.

Empathy is fine, but I also realistically have no expectation of a company to continue paying people who aren't actively working. That no matter how much money they make is a ridiculous ask outside of sickness, injury, retirement funds, etc. They are a business. Its not their job to support people for life. Its a give and take relationship. 

Plus, as a publicly traded company, they’d likely get sued for breach of their fiduciary duties if they kept people on the payroll they had no intention of using.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Welp this might be the last episode of WWE programming I ever watch.  

It's like there's a McDonald's in the neighbourhood and we all went there as kids and have very fond memories of how happy we'd be and how much we enjoyed it. But now the place is filthy and the staff are rude and the buns are stale. The owner has clearly lost his mind and has, let's say, put up signs banning masks from his establishment. 

Meanwhile, just down the road there is a Five Guys or a Shake Shack and while they are not perfect, the staff are friendly and seem to genuinely want to make their customers happy, and the food is fresh...

And just down the road there's this really great Japanese place that everyone really seems to be enjoying.

After a while, even though you still have those nostalgic feelings for the old McD's... you really won't miss it any more. You'll be glad you moved on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Welp this might be the last episode of WWE programming I ever watch.  FUCK VINCE piece of shit.  I'll explain in the RAW thread. 

I mean, you could just turn the channel.  We really don’t need to see your one man show.  Will there at least be an open bar?

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This version of the board has a functioning ignore button. ?

Correct.   I don’t have a problem with you though. So I dunno why I’d do that. I’ll use the sign out button before I put anyone on ignore.  You’re entitled to your opinion.  I just sort of wish there was room on here for everyone’s opinions, but, sadly, that’s often not the case

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Correct.   I don’t have a problem with you though. So I dunno why I’d do that. I’ll use the sign out button before I put anyone on ignore.  You’re entitled to your opinion.  I just sort of wish there was room on here for everyone’s opinions, but, sadly, that’s often not the case

I have no issue with anyone's opinions as long as they are my own ? ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

It's like there's a McDonald's in the neighbourhood and we all went there as kids and have very fond memories of how happy we'd be and how much we enjoyed it. But now the place is filthy and the staff are rude and the buns are stale. The owner has clearly lost his mind and has, let's say, put up signs banning masks from his establishment. 

Meanwhile, just down the road there is a Five Guys or a Shake Shack and while they are not perfect, the staff are friendly and seem to genuinely want to make their customers happy, and the food is fresh...

And just down the road there's this really great Japanese place that everyone really seems to be enjoying.

After a while, even though you still have those nostalgic feelings for the old McD's... you really won't miss it any more. You'll be glad you moved on.

The Shake Shack owner is trying to make the food but doesnt know how to cook. ?

iwish i could recommend the really old Mexican restaurant, but its the same meal every day and the cook wont try anything new. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Welp this might be the last episode of WWE programming I ever watch.  FUCK VINCE piece of shit.  I'll explain in the RAW thread. 

Is there a reason it has to be said in the Raw thread and not here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Is there a reason it has to be said in the Raw thread and not here?

Yes it has to do with something they did on the show but while we're here I'm wondering if these new releases that were announced are an indicator that WWE has plans of cutting down or maybe eliminating live events all together once audiences are allowed back in.  Their earnings reports show that live events mean nothing to their bottom line and now they've released travel coordinators. 

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Tony Chimel!? Fuck this company.

Tony Chimel sat next to me at a hotel bar after a show in Pittsburgh a few years back. We got in to a friendly hockey argument about Sidney Crosby. He is a Rangers fan and HATES him while I'm a Pens fan. It was a fun hour or so. 

Side note: after Chimel left, Booker T sat next to me and was Facetiming Sharmell on his iPad while eating dinner. Then a few fans approached him while eating dinner and tried talking to him and I never felt so ashamed/embarrassed to be a wrestling fan than I did at that moment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know. I was pissed too that Lana didn't get put through a table. I'm only an hour and 15 in though on my DVR so there's still plenty of time!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peck said:

I know. I was pissed too that Lana didn't get put through a table. I'm only an hour and 15 in though on my DVR so there's still plenty of time!

Thank God I didn't give up!!!

As the late Jim Valvano once said: "Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

46 minutes ago, Peck said:

Tony Chimel sat next to me at a hotel bar after a show in Pittsburgh a few years back. We got in to a friendly hockey argument about Sidney Crosby. He is a Rangers fan and HATES him while I'm a Pens fan. It was a fun hour or so. 

Wait...

Cherry Hill Chimel isn't a Flyers fan?

I was debating with people on twitter and I think my point flew over their heads so I want to say it here and get some opinions.

The Lana being put through the table ordeal.  In my opinion nobody looks strong from this. Lana getting put through a table every week is doing nothing for her, and when Nia Jax is 200 lbs bigger it really doesn't make her look strong by putting someone as weak as Lana through a table each week. People say to let it play out, but we are already 1-2 months of this and there seemingly is no endgame.  Even if Lana gets her win who cares? People will forget about it within 2 months tops. Nobody is booked strong in this angle.

NXT call ups.   Of all the call ups from NXT the only ones who have been booked well have been the women.  Becky, Bayley, Sasha, Alexa, Charlotte have all been booked well. They have done a great job in making these females actual stars. The guys on the other hand haven't been as lucky when they get to the main roster.  With 1-2 rare exceptions the males go to midcard and they stay midcard or leave WWE for greener pastures. 

It's all relative. Becky was booked like shit until she got herself over to an insane level (and that was because they made the poor booking decision to turn her heel), Bayley was booked like shit forever until they salvaged her by turning her heel, which never should have been a consideration for someone like her, Sasha was booked like shit pretty consistently, but they were happy to rely on her star power and popularity to prop p the division at various times. Alexa and Charlotte are the only two who have been booked like stars pretty much from the off and were never really made to look like shit. And I know people were argue that Charlotte's booking has been bad (and it probably has been but at least she's been booked like a star).

• Like 2

Speaking of Charlotte has there been any word on when she'll come back?  Maybe absence has made the heart grow fonder but I kind of miss seeing her.  And with how thin both divisions are they could probably use her at this point.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

This is somewhat vague posting, but my opinion of Drake Wuertz couldn't possibly be lower than it is now. What a dumb fucking rube that guy is. Again, I'm not posting what he said on here, but you're welcome to look at his Instagram to see it.

Everyday. Every fucking day I shake my head more and more and the stupidity of people.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1