DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd take any Warlord match and put it up against Mongo's best match. I don't even know what could be considered Mongo's best match. 

His match against Goldberg on the first Thunder is better than anything Warlord ever did as a singles wrestler.

7 hours ago, nate said:

Guys, today is ... what it is.

Thanks for being a refuge, and one way or another, irrespective of outcome, I'll be counting on this place for the next few days.

Peace be with us all.

Well said. Warm wishes to the DVDVR family and thanks for the best message board.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Well, this is a big I Told You So day for every foreign heel of the past 40 years.

Don't blame me, I'm in the half of the audience that thought Hulk Hogan was actually a heel. 

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Don't blame me, I'm in the half of the audience that thought Hulk Hogan was actually a heel. 

Yep,  I never trusted him after he was clearly trying to steal Miss Elizabeth from Randy Savage.  With that said,  it's really hard for me to reconcile my feelings for "Real American," that would be the national anthem of it was up to me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yep,  I never trusted him after he was clearly trying to steal Miss Elizabeth from Randy Savage.  With that said,  it's really hard for me to reconcile my feelings for "Real American," that would be the national anthem of it was up to me. 

Just remember it was written for Windham and Rotundo. Hogan stole it from them. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

Just remember it was written for Windham and Rotundo. Hogan stole it from them. 

Hope that helps. 

I'm not sure if that makes me feel any different. Sure,  it's not associated with Hogan, but it has that Mike Rotundo stink all over it... hold on,  I just remembered my most hated worker,  I need to go post in another thread. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

As much as I like 'Real American', I have always thought the instrumental version of Bonnie Tyler's 'Ravishing' was the best Hogan theme, if we don't count Hendrix. 

How long did Hulk use that? Are there any matches with him using it on YouTube?

36 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

As much as I like 'Real American', I have always thought the instrumental version of Bonnie Tyler's 'Ravishing' was the best Hogan theme, if we don't count Hendrix. 

My brother and I have been talking about that as the superior Hogan theme (And I'm a guy who LOVES 'Real American') and had no idea until today that it was actually a Bonnie Tyler song!

But this is the best entrance to 'Real American'

• Like 5

Regarding the Mongo-Warlord debate, ringwork is a push in my mind.  Neither guy was that good.  But.... Mongo could talk, had personality, connected with the audience.  Warlord had none of those things.  I feel like Mongo gets the nod just for the intangibles.

I'd probably give a slight nod to McMichael for ringwork, but neither guy was especially good.

Mongo had legendarily bad timing in the ring, but also, I'd much rather listen to him cut a moron meathead promo. My vote is for Mongo McMichael in that comparison. 

My vote goes to Mongo as well.  The Warlord doesn't have a single moment that is consider memorable in his entire career. Mongo, has more than a few, even if 99% are for all the wrong reasons.  If you had to create the definitive Warlord DVD, what would you put on it? There is a Mongo Twitter feed full of shit to include on a Mongo DVD...and it would be fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

How long did Hulk use that? Are there any matches with him using it on YouTube?

Off the top of my head, I have no idea. It's a Jim Steinman composition that I believe was written for The Wrestling Album. He then re-used it for Bonnie Tyler's record like a year later. So timeframe would dictate that he would have used it in late '85, early '86, I guess?

I went poking around through the 1986 results and tried to find larger houses that Hogan was on, then went looking for YouTube links for them.  I found a show from The Spectrum in Philly with Bundy / Hogan, and he comes out to Real American. I'm in the office right now, so I can't devote too much time to pro wres fuckery, but I'll look some more later and link you one if I find it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nate said:

Re: Mongo, I could watch a gif of that dive out of the ring onto Goldberg til infinity.

Yeah that's my point. Between the two of them, there isn't a lot of good wrestling.  One is bad in a way that would bore you to tears after about 5 minutes. Mongo is bad,  but he's the kind of bad that makes you want to keep watching just to see what might happen. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Off the top of my head, I have no idea. It's a Jim Steinman composition that I believe was written for The Wrestling Album. He then re-used it for Bonnie Tyler's record like a year later. So timeframe would dictate that he would have used it in late '85, early '86, I guess?

I went poking around through the 1986 results and tried to find larger houses that Hogan was on, then went looking for YouTube links for them.  I found a show from The Spectrum in Philly with Bundy / Hogan, and he comes out to Real American. I'm in the office right now, so I can't devote too much time to pro wres fuckery, but I'll look some more later and link you one if I find it.

That was also used for the opening to that Rock and Wrestling cartoon as well.  I personally associate the theme with the cartoon more than him ever coming out to it.  And maybe it's growing up hearing it but I think I prefer Real American at least when it came to the late 80s and beyond.

50 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The Warlord doesn't have a single moment that is consider memorable in his entire career ...  If you had to create the definitive Warlord DVD, what would you put on it? 

I would never ever argue that the War-load was any good as a wrestler... but the Power of Pain vs Road Warriors Bench Press Challenge was certainly memorable and would be the centerpiece if I some day find myself having to put together a DVD. Not sure what else I'd include. Maybe a gif of him trying to leapfrog Ashura Hara? I guess I'd try to find video of Chris Jericho telling the story of the Load being driven around Tokyo looking for a steak...

Edited by El Gran Gordi

McMichael wins for legitimacy. Legendary NFL superstar goes into wrestling and is bad at it = Wrestlers must be super athletes. But Warlord wins for influence. Nobody ever wanted to be a wrestler because they dreamed of emulating Mongo. But Warlord inspired Batista to train and Wrestle. That's a proud legacy right there.