DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

Currently, it's Brian Cage by a mile. He's sloppy as hell and stylistically, is pretty much the opposite of what I'm looking for in a pro wrestler.

In my complete history as a fan, it might be a different Brian, namely Brian Adams. He sucked from the first time I saw him right up through the Kronik run. 

Last night reminded me that I don't think I ever cared for Billy Gunn.  He's a good tag wrestler but even during his heyday his part of the act just never worked for me.  And his single run was even worse.  That carries over to AEW where him and his son are just channel changers for me as I skip through their matches on Dark and mentally checked out on last night's main event.  I'm hoping at some point he changes things up but for now Austin Gunn just annoys me.  Outside of the ring Billy seems like a fine enough guy though.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been thinking about this for a week now...

There isn't a wrestler I "hate"...

There have been wrestlers that make me change the channel...

Jeff Jarrett post initial WWF run

X-Pac

HHH when he became The Game

Randy Orton ... his entire generation of WWE wrestlers had me stop following wrestling as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I've been thinking about this for a week now...

There isn't a wrestler I "hate"...

There have been wrestlers that make me change the channel...

Jeff Jarrett post initial WWF run

X-Pac

HHH when he became The Game

Randy Orton ... his entire generation of WWE wrestlers had me stop following wrestling as a whole.

For me it isn't when HHH became The Game.  It is when HHH was The Game, but Foley, Austin, and The Rock were no longer there to actually be the stars.  HHH as a main event heel was fine when he wasn't the biggest star, but I don't want to watch a show built around him.  

X-Pac, Jeff Jarrett, and Randy Orton are all competing for best wrestler I never really want to watch.  All three have been good to great at different points of their career, I just don't give a fuck to watch them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Jeff Jarrett's best angle was his debut. It was all downhill from there. 

I honestly think Jeff Jarrett is the only wrestler who got worse as he entered what should have been his prime years.  If you watched any young Jeff Jarrett, before he even got to a national show,  you would have sworn he was going to be awesome.  He just kind of never did.

Arguably, a lot of guys who were regional stars went downhill when they got to 1985-89 WWF, because of the style, travel and drugs. But most of them were already veterans, not young guys. 

Maybe Tommy Rich, but then he got better as a heel later in life, after burning out in the mid 80s. 

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I honestly think Jeff Jarrett is the only wrestler who got worse as he entered what should have been his prime years.  If you watched any young Jeff Jarrett, before he even got to a national show,  you would have sworn he was going to be awesome.  He just kind of never did.

Brody in 78 is way better than later Brody. You could make an argument for Duggan. I’d listen to an argument that 84 was the Road Warriors best year. Bigelow’s best match is in his rookie year. But these are marginal. 

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Brody in 78 is way better than later Brody. You could make an argument for Duggan. I’d listen to an argument that 84 was the Road Warriors best year. Bigelow’s best match is in his rookie year. But these are marginal. 

Jim Duggan is a great one.  Duggan was legitimately good brawler before he got to WWE.  He spent the next 15 years carrying around a 2x4 and doing next to nothing in the ring.  

If you were to watch the first 3 years of Jeff Jarrett, Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels you wouldn't expect that Jeff Jarrett was going to be the worst wrestler by far.  That is where I was going with my Jeff Jarrett point.  Jarrett is one of those rare guys who seemed like they hit the ground running.  He was like a 5 tool baseball prospect who got to the majors and only one or two of the tools made it with him.  Sure, he's good enough to be in the majors, but not really good enough to be your star.

As a kid when I first started watching I really hated Bob Backlund, I remember at one of the first house shows I went to some guy got pissed that I was cheering Blackjack Mulligan to the point he tried to start a fight with my dad and uncle, I was a few months shy of 8 years old. I actually liked Hogan the first 6 months or so when he won the belt in 1984, once the feud with Piper started I was all in on Hulkamania being destroyed. 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, supremebve said:

You beat me. Mike Rotundo is the epitome of white mediocrity.  He's the dude who's on TV every week that makes every minority who is not on TV looking around asking, "so you'll just put any white dude on TV?" I want to get a beer or two into Koko B. Ware and ask him about Mike Rotundo. I bet he'll go off for hours. I can't think of a wrestler I've seen more who I've liked less. Seriously,  if you had access to all the wrestling ever and the rest of time to watch nothing but wrestling, would you ever watch a Mike Rotundo match? I wouldn't. 

My friend and I were watching the Taker/Yoko casket match from Survivor Series 94 and IRS does a run-in while Chuck Norris is distracted (that's a real sentence I just typed). Normally, if a heel is going to run-in and cheat, he's going to hit the babyface with a devastating move or a foreign object or just do something interesting in general. What does Mike Rotundo do? He puts Taker in a fucking sleeper hold. Only Mike Rotundo would do a run-in and have his big idea of getting heat and cheating be clamping on a sleeper. And I'm a fan of bully jock heel Varsity Club era Mike Rotundo but that was just brutal.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

My friend and I were watching the Taker/Yoko casket match from Survivor Series 94 and IRS does a run-in while Chuck Norris is distracted (that's a real sentence I just typed). Normally, if a heel is going to run-in and cheat, he's going to hit the babyface with a devastating move or a foreign object or just do something interesting in general. What does Mike Rotundo do? He puts Taker in a fucking sleeper hold. Only Mike Rotundo would do a run-in and have his big idea of getting heat and cheating be clamping on a sleeper. And I'm a fan of bully jock heel Varsity Club era Mike Rotundo but that was just brutal.

Mike Rotunda's best gimmick was as an amateur wrestler.  Pro wrestling exists because no one wants to watch amateur wrestling.

• Haha 2

I never minded the Varsity Club in practice, it was bland but it provided some good white meat workrate stuff on otherwise goofy cards. I watched every Clash of the Champions show and a lot of the TV around them last year and they were a relatively bright spot on a lot of awful undercards. Not to the extent that the Midnights were, but a long way from hateable.

And I guess I liked the Michael Wallstreet and IRS gimmicks, and I think he was the right guy for them - his anti-charisma makes sense if he's an accountant, y'know? But I'm completely willing to admit that a wrestler with more personality could have done more with the character.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

On 11/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, Shane said:

Currently, it's Brian Cage by a mile. He's sloppy as hell and stylistically, is pretty much the opposite of what I'm looking for in a pro wrestler.

In my complete history as a fan, it might be a different Brian, namely Brian Adams. He sucked from the first time I saw him right up through the Kronik run. 

I didn't mind Crush in WWF growing up, or even really think he stood out as bad in the late 90's WCW.

But rewatching a bunch of 97-98 RAW and Nitros about a year ago, he was probably the worst wrestler to be regularly featured in that time period. And had the scariest move, when he would do a piledriver and just, like, let go of his opponent on the way down. I can't believe he never crippled anyone. Really, the whole DOA was amazingly shitty. When Brian Lee is, hands down, the best worker in a four man group... *Shudder*

Phineas Godwin also stood out as terrible. I swear I saw Kane save his life once when Godwin couldn't get up for a side suplex and Kane just muscled him up with only his arms to prevent a head drop.

Also, Jesus Christ Kane was strong as an ox in the 90's.

Edited by Brian Fowler