DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

4 hours ago, Hustler of Culture said:

This despite creating a great character in Leviathan

Leviathan was literally a demon from hell summoned up through the Ohio River in a Satanic ritual by Cornette's dominatrix girlfriend and her bootleg Ministry Of Darkness stable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we could easily have just as many varying suggestions for the criteria as we'll have for who best meets it.

Is a boring worker more loathsome than a dangerous one?  Or one that's business-exposing levels of bad?  How much does card position matter?  Because a boring/unsafe/bad worker can do a lot more damage to fan enjoyment in the main event than if they're getting squashed in the opener.  How much does career longevity matter

Do they have to offend you or merely bore you, and how much weight do you assign to shitty wrestling, tasteless gimmick, or cringe promo?  And this still doesn't touch on how much the artist being personally contemptible should overshadow it all. 

As far as outside the ring, it's Warrior and it isn't even close. Selfish, homophobic, disingenuous and the over inflated ego on top of that? Just not worth anyone's time.

In ring? Dead heat between Brian Knobs and Jimmy Valiant. The promos and the poor work? Knobs being screamy mcyelly and Valiant doing the same thing every time... just wastes of space.

In current times it's Baron Corbin... it's like watching the color beige wrestle.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Oh, I also really hate Jim Ross. Terrible person.

And he's not even good at his job any more. Everything he does that he thinks is helping get Jungle Jack Perry (sic) over is actually undercutting him. It's basically career sabotage at this point.

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Leviathan was literally a demon from hell summoned up through the Ohio River in a Satanic ritual by Cornette's dominatrix girlfriend and her bootleg Ministry Of Darkness stable.

If there's footage of this I really need to see it

EDIT: Hahahahaha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

Randy Orton. While the ones that bore me tend to disappear quickly and with my gratitude for doing so, he's been inducing sleep in me for way too long. I think he flips a coin to decide whether or not he'll give a shit. Heads - make an effort. Tails - "Fuck it". And then flips it a few more times just in case it comes out heads.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What's this?  (as if I needed more motivation for my dislike of Ross)

The original co-writer for Ross's first book was Scott Williams, who also did the autobiographies for Terry Funk, Bill Watts, and Jim Duggan. Scott was also my best friend, as well as my editor at the Galveston Daily News. About halfway through the production, after Scott had already written at least a large chunk of the book (and maybe even an entire rough draft), Ross replaced Scott with Paul O'Brien. I don't know how much of the writing was kept and reused by O'Brien, if any, but I do know that they used Scott's research because he knew more about parts of Jim Ross's career than even Ross knew. And up until his death in 2016, he was still helping out Ross whenever he could. 

When Ross showed off the cover to his book in 2017, Scott's name was left off the cover. They were going to give him a dedication page instead. This didn't sit right with a lot of people, including Bix (who was also friends with Scott) and Brian Last (who knew Scott through an appearance on Cornette's podcast). They argued with Ross on Twitter until he added Scott's name to the cover.

There's a little more to it than that, but that's the Reader's Digest version. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 10/31/2020 at 2:53 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've heard nothing bad about him off-screen, so this is based purely on his on-screen work, but Shawn Spears is instant change the channel, go away heat with me. His work is passable, albeit bland. I hate the fact that AEW has given him several gimmicks all at once. First, he's the chairman, then he did a short-lived anti-garbage wrestling gimmick, the contact lenses, and the loaded glove. Pick a gimmick and stick with it. He didn't annoy me as much in WWE with the "Perfect 10" gimmick, but AEW has pushed him more than he really should be.

Don't forget the mohawk which doesn't fit and the Canadian maple leaf logo.

OMG, Spears is the Mighty Men and Monster Maker of wrestlers.

OIP.Bpli544Z7KqcV7jakKwfbgHaHL?w=202&h=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ross's last book is genuinely mystifying. The whole book is just him recounting humiliation after humiliation from WWE and him going back for the paycheck and being a "team player." I  have zero doubt he'd go back to WWE TOMORROW if they called. He's just a really sad dude who has weird father issues with strong and powerful men like McMahon and Watts. 

• Like 3

I usually don't have a lot of hate for wrestlers to be honest. But referees?

I find Rick Knox so obnoxious as a referee that I just sit there waiting for him to do something horribly bad.

I'm not usually disappointed.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Ross's last book is genuinely mystifying. The whole book is just him recounting humiliation after humiliation from WWE and him going back for the paycheck and being a "team player." I  have zero doubt he'd go back to WWE TOMORROW if they called. He's just a really sad dude who has weird father issues with strong and powerful men like McMahon and Watts. 

This.  And when you say "strong and powerful," you're leaving out "shit human beings."  Ross' tales of his own father are straight up horrifying.  I will never forget his story about his dad telling him to keep the barnyard gates closed to keep the dogs separated.  Ross forgot and left one open one day and one of the dogs got impregnated.  After the litter was born, Ross' father put the dogs in a bag and made Ross go drown them as punishment for leaving the door open.  He told the story on Austin's podcast so matter-of-factly, like, "yep, that's just things were and just how my daddy was."  And I'm like, "No, that's a tale of child abuse."  When you're raised by a father like that, it goes one of two ways usually.  You either realize the guy was terrible and do your best to not be that way and to avoid people like that, or you end up seeking out men like that for the comfort of a familiar (albeit dysfunctional) relationship.  Ross' issues are so obvious.   It's really depressing.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Dude had to be publicly shamed into putting his deceased co-writer's name on his autobiography. Fuck him.

Is there any reason to think Ross had a lot to do with that?  I mean, Ross didn't self-publish Slobberknocker  The hardcover edition was published by a division of Skyhorse Publishing.  Skyhorse is technically an independent, but that's akin to considering WCW or TNA under the Carters to be an independent company.  In the mid-2010's, Skyhorse published over 1,000 books a year under various imprints.

I don't know much about how Slobberknocker came together, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if the the publisher decided to replace the professional writer assigned to the project.  Maybe Ross was heavily involved in the process, but it's not too unusual for the subject of celebrity memoirs and autobiographies to have nothing more to do with the book other than getting paid and setting aside from time to be interviewed by the person actually doing the writing.  It's the writer who deals with deadlines and editors and publishers complaints in most cases.

My experience with the industry gave me the impression it's not usual for writers to go uncredited, or work on the book and see credit given to a writer who came in later (or earlier).  Again, don't know much how Ross' book was put together or how involved he was with production, but I'm guessing he probably didn't have much to do with the cover credits.

I mean, there's plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Ross. 

Edited by Eoae

My extremely dated most hated wrestler is Buff Bagwell, who never did anything in or out of the ring that interested me.  Konnan is up there, too, although he would occasionally do a neat spot so he can't be all the way at the bottom.

My extremely dated and extremely niche pick is Rapid Fire Maldonado, who was usually the worst part of every PCW show I saw but still got pushed to the moon.

ETA: Also Messiah.  That guy sucked.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

I can’t believe no one else on the thread has mentioned him yet. 

But the correct answer is Enzo.

- He’s super annoying, literally the Scrappy Doo of wrestling

- He’s terrible in ring

- He’s super obnoxious IRL

- His rap music sucks.

- He had those sexual assault allegations.

he covers each and every base.  He got cut from WWE when literally no one was getting cut. 

However, If I’m giving an “Apter mag” answer my Most Hated wrestler was Lawler during his feud with Brett Hart. I detested Lawler during that era.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2020 at 12:58 PM, Contentious C said:

SIt's like watching a Steelers versus Ravens game: you just want a meteor to hit the stadium and erase it from existence.

That really narrows down what the C stands for.

I spent a decent chunk of this year watching old PWG shows. You all must have forgotten about Davey Richards.

I can try to imagine what odious forces must have come together to make him "a thing", but it's a struggle. His heyday was the exact midpoint of the >20 years of WWE television dominance, when so much of indy wrestling was attempting to be the antithesis of "sports entertainment" and did so by zealously jettisoning said "entertainment". He was the poster boy for Cornette's failed philosophies when he had the RoH book. His runs in Sapolsky's post-RoH endeavors like early EVOLVE and DGUSA were like watching beige paint dry on a beige wall. He was the illogical endpoint of self-indulgent, workrate-or-die pro wrestling, a sort of dark age Meltzer-ism that even his overrated faves (Kobashi, Michaels, Toyota, Omega?) never even approached cause at least those three (or four) knew they were babyfaces. He was the post-grunge of pro wrestling. We were looking for the next CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson when he came along, and his ascension to INDY GOD~ was no small part of why I bailed on indy wrestling after that big exodus.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1