DVDVR Message Board

Most Hated Wrestler

OSJ

On 10/31/2020 at 8:30 PM, AxB said:

Rickey Shane Page (who is 36 years old) said Damien Kane from ECW.

The best thing about Damien Kane was his wife, Lady Alexandra.

5 hours ago, Hustler of Culture said:

And Cornette doesn't work in the business because he doesn't need the money.

Cornette doesn't need to work in the industry because he doesn't need the money, but Cornette doesn't work in the industry because he is toxic as hell and no one wants him around. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Santino’s unfunny shtick was “nails on a chalkboard” material for me.  I don’t hate any wrestlers, but I do have an irrational dislike of Santino.

I think it is fair to say that there may be nothing worse in wrestling than a comedy wrestler you don't personally find funny. 

That's why my pick is Yano.

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

The best thing about Damien Kane was his wife, Lady Alexandra.

Cornette doesn't need to work in the industry because he doesn't need the money, but Cornette doesn't work in the industry because he is toxic as hell and no one wants him around. 

It's pro wrestling...give it a while.  Somebody will want to hire Cornette, sooner or later.

HoC

Speaking as a man who's been hit by a horseshoe, getting hit by a horseshoe isn't that bad. Certainly not an instant KO or anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Speaking as a man who's been hit by a horseshoe, getting hit by a horseshoe isn't that bad. Certainly not an instant KO or anything.

Like somebody threw a horseshoe at you or hit you with a horseshoe? I'm assuming there was no horse attached to the shoe when you got hit? *cue a GIF of that match where Terry Funk gets kicked by a horse and cusses the horse out*

All I can think of reading this topic is this.

good-good-let-the-hate-flow-through-you-

But as for hated wrestlers they've been covered here already.  I guess I hate watching Ziggler though it has nothing to do with him outside the ring.  Unless you want to count his attempt at comedy in which case that's part of it too.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Haha 4

On 11/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, Web Conn said:

I also don’t like Honma all that much but that got me flack in the AEW thread a few months back.

Well, he is a wife-beater, so you can use that against him. 

Really it is pointless to choose a worst person one because so many of them are horrible, so I'll go with the first one that came to mind and it was Jeff Jarrett. He did only two good things in a decades long career, one was bleeding in the Concession Stand Brawl in Memphis and the other was him teaching fucking kids MMA. 

Oh, and New Jack had him and his dad in his list of the top three most racist people he met in wrestling (the others were Vince and Cornette) so hey

Edited by Curt McGirt

When a horseshoe is used to help weight something down that you can violently swing and hit somebody with...it's a whole new ballgame.  He did use the racket to protect himself from marks who tried to attack him.  To me, it's one of the weakest arguments from modern wrestlers/fans against Cornette.  There are far more stronger arguments to be made against him.

HoC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Like somebody threw a horseshoe at you or hit you with a horseshoe? I'm assuming there was no horse attached to the shoe when you got hit? *cue a GIF of that match where Terry Funk gets kicked by a horse and cusses the horse out*

You know the sort of person who, when they lose an argument they then throw the nearest object at the person who out-argued them (as soon as they turn their back and can't see it coming)? Don't argue with that sort of person in a stable. Unless the only nearby objects are either light like feathers or heavy like horses. Then it's safe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, and New Jack had him and his dad in his list of the top three most racist people he met in wrestling (the others were Vince and Cornette) so hey

Is New Jack really a reliable source on anything?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know the sort of person who, when they lose an argument they then throw the nearest object at the person who out-argued them (as soon as they turn their back and can't see it coming)? Don't argue with that sort of person in a stable. Unless the only nearby objects are either light like feathers or heavy like horses. Then it's safe.

Fortunately, I'm not aware of any such people, but I'll gladly take your word for it and keep it that way!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hustler of Culture said:

To me, it's one of the weakest arguments from modern wrestlers/fans against Cornette.  There are far more stronger arguments to be made against him.

HoC

OK then Brian Last, let's hear them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

1. Promotion hires Cornette
  2. Honeymoon period
  3. Cornette has "difficulties" working with others
  4. Cornette is fired
  5. Cornette rants and raves about how terrible his time in that promotion was and how stupid everyone who worked there is
  6. Repeat from step one

Jim Cornette is the very definition of "you tell me you met an asshole in the morning?  Then you met an asshole in the morning.  You tell me you met assholes all day?  You're probably the asshole."

Hey, can I nominate a certain fat orange con man who is a member of the WWE HOF as my most hated person in wrestling?  On a scale of people he's hurt, he has Benoit, Zumhoffe, Gonzales, Snuka, etc beat by miles.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AxB said:

OK then Brian Last, let's hear them.

I guess that makes you feel better by calling me Brian Last because I pointed out how ridiculous of an argument that a tennis racket loaded with an actual horseshoe 'wouldn't hurt anybody.'

But if you want actual legitimate arguments, you could start off with all of the ridiculous stuff that Jim's home territory, Memphis, produced over the decades.  From Freddy Krueger to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Bill Dundee spanking Jaimee Dundee to Kamala, etc.  While I think wrestling blow-up dolls, doing whatever the Football Field scramble was, wrestling invisible wrestlers and dick bumps is horrible and an embarrassment...treating the modern wrestlers with a double standard to what happened in the past makes Jim hypocritical and it's something Jim has never come to grips with.

The same goes with wrestlers who are pro-Trump as the wrestling industry, particularly in Tennessee, has always leaned more towards Republicans and I'd be willing to bet that most of the wrestlers he admired are pro-Trump or would be pro-Trump if they were alive today.

I think Jim's problem as a booker is that he never really understood character creation and development outside of the 1970's and 1980's paradigm.  Likely because in the territory days a wrestler would come up with their own gimmick and the booker would decide if they want that to be a part of their promotion.  But also Jim is still into the idea of the good looking guy with long blond hair = automatic babyface and the not so good looking guy with blonde hair = automatic heel.  He would never take a chance on a gimmick like Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Sandman (who did draw in ECW) because it just didn't fit into that paradigm and thus a promotion would lose out on a lot of money by not pushing those guys.  He often talks about Jarrett hotshotting Memphis with the Tupelo Concession Brawl as a positive, but I don't see Cornette ever pulling the trigger on something like that.  This despite creating a great character in Leviathan and helping get Kane over with his initial booking and the RoH vs. CZW feud which worked great.  

He doesn't understand television standards today with so many people cutting the chord and why Meltzer always focuses on the demo.  I agree with him that AEW is the drizzling shits and is missing out on a lot in terms of drawing more viewers and it's a company that's good enough for a low level TV deal that needed to be backed by a billionaire NFL team owner in order to get on TV...but he clearly does not understand how the ratings work in today's television.

I think he has ruined friendships and relationships over fairly inane issues to his detriment.

Him claiming that he's responsible for roughly 200K of AEW Dynamite's television viewers is really thinking highly of himself.

I don't believe for a second that he inadvertently booked the Montreal Screwjob (nor do I think Russo booked it).  

Unfortunately, wrestling has always had some silliness to it.  I think it's bad for wrestling and shouldn't be acceptable.  But it should not be acceptable now or in the past.  Regardless, Cornette looks at the past with rose colored glasses while looking at the present with shit-stained screens.  Just like he does when Harley Race exposed the business in Pro Wrestling's Greatest Secrets.  

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

HoC

• Like 2

If we're ever in the same room together, you have my full permission to hit me with a tennis racket loaded with a horseshoe. I'll just stand there and take it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For all the wrestlers mentioned in this thread for in ring reasons, (out of ring sleaze is not something I want to get in to,) I am fairly sure that not a man jack of them comes close to being as useless and as bland and as pointless over such a long period as Billy Gunn. 

I can find things for a lot of wrestlers that I can say I enjoyed at least for a small time. Shawn Spears had that fun daffy Perfect Ten nonsense, Santino was hit and miss, but he could draw a chuckle, Jarrett has his midcard charms, Bradshaw was at least good for bashing people in the Rumble each year, Road Dogg at least had the catchphrases, I am (or at least I was,) bloodthirsty enough to appreciate very small doses of New Jack. Okay, I'm not going to defend the likes of Curtis Axel or Alex Riley, but they don't have the sustained body of un-work of Billy Gunn. 

Billy Gunn is the answer, now lock the thread before anyone comes back with any more wrong answers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1