DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/28/2020

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Last thing I'm gonna say on this is: People (most, anyway) probably remember who Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne was. They're AEW fans. They're not new to this sport by any means. He doesn't have to be treated like Omega treated Sonny. 

Okay. I suspect you're wrong, but as neither of us have access to AEW's demographic data, there's not much point arguing about it.

I would opine, though, that if AEW has any ambitions of eventually being bigger than they are now, they need to consider how things look to the audience who has no idea who Matt Sydal is, even if that's not whom they're currently reaching.

If the argument is that Sydal has enough potential value to the company not to be completely squashed, then that's reasonable. But I'd suggest then that Kingston should have been booked against somebody else. Either somebody they were willing to have just get murdered, or somebody who's well enough established in AEW that fans who don't follow the indies would still recognize that beating them is an accomplishment.

If an 18 year old watching AEW right now was to see Matt Sydal, they might remember him from WWE. But they also would have been like 8 years old when he was last active in WWE, too.

Regardless, though, this idea that Eddie Kingston, the next challenger for the World title, shouldn't have squashed Matt Sydal en route to his World title match NEXT WEEK, is kind of insane.

• Like 1

I like Sydal's work a lot, and even I'm not sure how much anyone would care about him based off a WWE run where he was firmly in the lower card almost a decade ago. What is there to really remember? Taking a cool RKO in the build to clusterfuck ladder match nobody remembers? Being tag champ with Kofi when Punk took that picture with Bryan and Cody and Beth? That one PPV singles match he had against Jericho? 

I liked his work in Impact and I'm always pleased to see him get some shine, but I see the arguments against it. Not that I'm too fussed either way.

They just signed Serpentico, so I really don't know what they think they're doing half the time anyway.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on here in a long time. 

It’s also true. Here’s Joe Rogan talking about how Roy Nelson would be a phenom at 185 lbs: 

And the last time he wrestled, on Dark this week, I’m pretty sure he was wrestling in a T-Shirt....People with “dad bods” aren’t in great shape.

3 hours ago, hobo joe said:

It seems like they're setting up the Bucks splitting and feuding, with Nick (or Matt?) refusing to acknowledge the severity of his injury and agreeing to this terrible "never challenge for the belts again" stipulation and Matt (or Nick?) obviously realizing this is a terrible idea but letting his brother go through with it.

That would be interesting, I hadn’t even considered that. 

I was thinking that with them utilizing the same stipulation that Cody lost in was long term eventually going to lead to them all turning heel and somehow deviously going back on their word to get the titles.

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It’s also true. Here’s Joe Rogan talking about how Roy Nelson would be a phenom at 185 lbs: 

And the last time he wrestled, on Dark this week, I’m pretty sure he was wrestling in a T-Shirt....People with “dad bods” aren’t in great shape.

Joe Rogan believes in a lot of goofy shit.  If he told me the sky was blue, I'd probably go double check.  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe Rogan just had on Kanye West, Alex Jones, Tim Dillon, Glen Greenwald, and Gad Saad, but please tell me more about his brilliant opinions. Also, the stupid thing you said didn't even have to do with Roy Nelson. Chuck Taylor is in perfectly good shape. I fucking guarantee 3/4ths of the people on this board wish they were in as good of shape or as athletic as Chuck.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Add "Jericho and Hager are gunning for the tag belts" to your list of angles AEW has abruptly dropped.

To AEW's credit Hager did take a MMA fight so he wasn't going to get in the ring once that happened.

• Like 1

I don’t see the value in keeping Sydal strong, especially if he’s new to fans and they know him as the guy who almost died two seconds into his debut. Sydal is better fighting from underneath anyway, Kingston could’ve taken 90% of the match and Sydal would be just as over. I’d have to rewatch it but I think the Randy Orton match the famous RKO is from is laid out exactly like that. 

Maybe I should watch it again, but Kingston/Sydal did feel like an extended squash to me. Sure Sydal got offense, but the match wasn't that long (especially by Dynamite standards), he tapped immediately, and Kingston clowned him by calling him Moxley.

What they really whiffed on was not having Kingston call Moxley out by saying something like, "Watch what I do to people from the Land of Entertainers."

• Like 2

Regarding a wrestler AEW should be signing for their women's division:

z4q07epz67f51.jpg

Giulia-Wonder-Of-Stardom-Champion.jpg

z45uilmqjuv51.jpg?width=614&auto=webp&s=

Not sure what her visa or travel status is, but whenever things are all clear, lock her the frell up to a major contract ASAP.

Back in the 00s, I was a big fan of Matt Sydal. Loved his matches in ROH. At the same time, guy is 37 and not a spring chicken anymore. He's not like a young plucky high-flying baby-ace you can build a division around right now. Considering that Eddie Kingston isn't even ranked and is fighting for the AEW World title soon, you needed to give him a strong win over an experienced veteran, and Sydal happened to fit the bill. 

Sydal getting destroyed by Kingston right now doesn't really hurt his reputation or name value beyond what it already was when he started doing some shots in AEW. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

A lot of the same criticisms I've heard for Kenny Omega used to apply to AJ Styles way back in the day around the mid 2000s and those critics were wrong then and the people who criticize Kenny are wrong now.  The cream always rises to the top.  AJ Styles had a massive amount of potential in-ring and continued to get better and better..  Kenny is on that trajectory.  People were concerned about AJ Styles being too "southern" and now you never hear about it.  Over the years he became a wonderful character and got very good on the mic.  Kenny is already a good character and has already shown to have some skills on the mic.  If he cutback 10% of the "goofy" shit he does he'd be right where he needs to be as a top guy and I think he's headed there. 

I think Omega is there already and has been there a few years, but he took a backseat on his singles career when AEW got up and running and stepped aside so the spotlight went to some other guys for a while in the main event scene.

But yeah, back in the mid-00s, AJ Styles was always berated as a flippy indie spot monkey. I think when he turned heel and started teaming up with Tomko is when he started getting more respect as a worker who could adjust to a more heel style with his fast-paced cruiserweight offense.  

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Not sure what her visa or travel status is, but whenever things are all clear, lock her the frell up to a major contract ASAP.

She is contracted to Stardom, and I'm not sure their relationship with ROH is dead yet. Beyond that I doubt it happens while AEW still has a relationship to DDT/TJPW.

47 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Regarding a wrestler AEW should be signing for their women's division:

z4q07epz67f51.jpg

Giulia-Wonder-Of-Stardom-Champion.jpg

z45uilmqjuv51.jpg?width=614&auto=webp&s=

Back in the 00s, I was a big fan of Matt Sydal. Loved his matches in ROH. At the same time, guy is 37 and not a spring chicken anymore. He's not like a young plucky high-flying baby-ace you can build a division around right now. Considering that Eddie Kingston isn't even ranked and is fighting for the AEW World title soon, you needed to give him a strong win over an experienced veteran, and Sydal happened to fit the bill. 

Sydal getting destroyed by Kingston right now doesn't really hurt his reputation or name value beyond what it already was when he started doing some shots in AEW. 

The last person I saw with Giulia's kind of instant star-like presence was...Rhea Ripley. I don't give a shit if she does or doesn't speak English, that's who they should go after if they can.

• Like 1

I don't think it matters if people remember Matt Sydal, the match was designed to put over how intensely Eddie wants to beat Mox. And it worked. I want Eddie Kingston to win at FG so that this feud can continue, its that good. I want to see Eddie cutting "I told ya so" promos while holding up the belt. Maybe he drops it to Hangman then has a rubber match with Moxley.

Overall I felt this was a very strong show. I enjoyed the Townhall but I feel the silliness of the feud stands out from the serious nature of the Moxely/Kingston promos and the Bucks/FTR promos. And not in a good way. I feel like we've had 40 years of VKM's sense of humor on television, so that's what a lot of people feel wrestling is. Now comedy can work but going to much in the vein of "haha, wink, nudge, this is all just a big joke" can really hurt when you try to turn around and do something serious. 

• Like 2