DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/28/2020

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I removed it from that post.  I realize it may have been just me but hate feeling like it's a shit opinion when it was something that just irked me more than anything else.

Well now I feel like an arsehole. 

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

Good plan.

Seriously.  I can't begrudge @NikoBaltimorein the least. 

It's not hard to simply not comment on women's bodies.  No matter your intention, it can blow up in your face and come off poorly like 90% of the time, especially from an announcer who was actively rooting for a nip slip on the last PPV and has said something unsavory in the majority of women's matches he's worked.  I didn't think Ross was downlow talking about Hirsh's ass last night with his "squat rack" comment, but I don't blame anyone who feels like he was, and he could have just not said it and it wouldn't have hurt the quality of commentary to have just left it out.  Talk about the match.  Put over the wrestlers for their skills in the ring.  There is no need to talk about their bodies.  And if you're going to say there's a double standard and it's okay to talk about men's bodies, that shit grosses me out, too.  I was pissed when Ross, who we have on film downlow telling Tony Jones to get on steroids, talked on commentary about how Chuck Taylor needs to fill out.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Leyla Hirsch is someone I'm surprised WWE doesn't have at the PC. That's someone AEW should pick up.

Edit - I'm I crazy or does this video have 38 MILLION views? What?!

I'm not totally familiar with YouTube monetization...anyone have an estimate as to about how much money was made off of 38 million views?

21 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Well now I feel like an arsehole. 

Please don't be.  You're a quality fella and for that reason it made me feel like I screwed up (plus seasonal depression is a bitch)  But I get what you're saying and what didn't help is I pointed out an issue without a possible workaround that would be better.  So please allow me to try again.

Yes, with JR I am going to be leery about his comments about a women's physical appearance.  His All Out comment among other things has led me to be a bit sensitive to stuff like that and FWIW my wife as well since she's generally creeped out by him.  But when mentioning she hit the squat rack I basically equate it to another version of "Dude, she squats"  If he feels a need to point out a women's physical appearance it would be nice to hear how it matters for the match.  That's why I liked Excalibur pointing out how her workout/appearance matters to the match where he brought up things like explosive power.  And same goes for folks like Jordanne Grace when they talk about her on Impact.  They might mention her appearance but they point out why it gives her an advantage when going against somebody.  I'm not expecting an essay on it but just something to make it matter would be nice.

Now Technico is right in his take on it (thank you very much by the way) but the TL;DR of it is if one feels a need to comment at least cover your ass just in case.  Or just not say anything about it all.  But I think for the sake of the thread I'm respectfully done with talking about it since I'd like the discussion to move on to other parts of the show.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

In a wrestling context, you cannot help but mention someone's physical attributes as they are engaging in physical acts. Imagine booking Nyla Rose against Riho and not being able to mention their physical differences. It's like not calling Dusty Rhodes fat. We can see he's fat. You aren't tricking us by ignoring it. 

What they can do is not be like Attitude Era Jerry Lawler. That's easy. 

I've not watched a second of Dynamite yet but I saw Hirsh on Dark this week and they should make her a member of Team Taz tomorrow. Mostly so she can push around Ricky Starks and Cage while Papa Taz laughs.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Seriously.  I can't begrudge @NikoBaltimorein the least. 

It's not hard to simply not comment on women's bodies.  No matter your intention, it can blow up in your face and come off poorly like 90% of the time, especially from an announcer who was actively rooting for a nip slip on the last PPV and has said something unsavory in the majority of women's matches he's worked.  I didn't think Ross was downlow talking about Hirsh's ass last night with his "squat rack" comment, but I don't blame anyone who feels like he was, and he could have just not said it and it wouldn't have hurt the quality of commentary to have just left it out.  Talk about the match.  Put over the wrestlers for their skills in the ring.  There is no need to talk about their bodies.  And if you're going to say there's a double standard and it's okay to talk about men's bodies, that shit grosses me out, too.  I was pissed when Ross, who we have on film downlow telling Tony Jones to get on steroids, talked on commentary about how Chuck Taylor needs to fill out.

He wasn’t actively rooting for a nipple slip. Anna Jay was fidgeting with her top which was really awkward and he made a joke.

And Chuck Taylor is not in good shape. His physique is terrible and he doesn’t look like an athlete at all. In the UFC, when Roy Nelson fought there they would frequently comment on what he could do at LHW if he took his diet seriously. 

JR is consistent in that he treats the wrestlers as athletes and especially in a combat sport commentators will often comment on the physiques of the competitors.

Also, literally talked about Cody’s physique and 14 lbs he’d gained two weeks ago, and after Excalibur slobbered over how good Cody’s shoulders and arms—no one was throwing a tantrum about the focus on his body instead of the match.

I recall the UFC commentators commenting on Holly Holm’s physique and what great shape she appeared to be in and I don’t remember any outrage.

It seems pretty obvious to me that many people  just want to find any excuse they can to attack JR. 

• Like 2

I think it won't be long before she joins Team Taz.  I also think we're going to get Will Hobbs joining them before her but having those four wrecking fools with Taz laughing will be the best.

Random thought but I did like that Kenny was not putting up with Pentagon's "Cero Miedo" stuff last night.  It was neat how he took the glove and chopped him, then they did a few things before Pentagon got the chop in anyway.  It was a good bit of variety that keeps things interesting enough.  The finishing stretch was pretty good too even though Kenny should have been more affected by the arm snap (and the two death moves before that)  But now it's on to his match against Page.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I'm not totally familiar with YouTube monetization...anyone have an estimate as to about how much money was made off of 38 million views?

Approximately zero dollars and zero cents.

You Tube took professional wrestling off of the monetization list. I assume WWE & AEW still get monetization, but independent wrestling promotions don't. The change happened about 2 years ago. I remember seeing AIW talk about what a large chunk of money they were missing out on due to the new classification.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I want them to sign Hirsh, put her in Team Taz and an orange and black singlet and get her to suplex fools. 

I was wondering why they didn't draw a comparison to Taz when describing her physique and skills last night...would've been great foreshadowing. 

42 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Approximately zero dollars and zero cents.

You Tube took professional wrestling off of the monetization list. I assume WWE & AEW still get monetization, but independent wrestling promotions don't. The change happened about 2 years ago. I remember seeing AIW talk about what a large chunk of money they were missing out on due to the new classification.

If the answer is more complex than "Because they can, and fuck you, that's why" , I'd like to know how and why is this possible?

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Most of the videos being cited are clearly bots or fake views, as a casual look at the comments sections show.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Last thing I'm gonna say on this is: People (most, anyway) probably remember who Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne was. They're AEW fans. They're not new to this sport by any means. He doesn't have to be treated like Omega treated Sonny. 

I agree that he's not a nobody but the booking is still odd.

He's been booked as a heel?  I guess? It's hard to say in AEW where Young Bucks are whatever they are and Kenny Omega's second match as a heel is against a heel and MJF and Chris Jericho are in a heel program where they sing. Anyway, why book heel vs. heel with two guys who are relatively new to the promotion? Also (as an aside) why did they add a second guy who points to his third eye all the time? They already had one of those in Luther.

Regardless, you haven't established Sydal to the audience yet so they may not know what he is supposed to be in this company. Based off this performance, I know he's not supposed to be a main event player since he not only lost clean, tapped out, he also said he quit. That doesn't leave him a lot of places to go.  Even if you've watched Dark, you've basically seen him fall off the top rope, get a jock shoved in his face and beat a job guy. Because he's not at all built up, I don't know that beating him means anything. Beating anyone with any history in the company would mean more.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

And Chuck Taylor is not in good shape. His physique is terrible and he doesn’t look like an athlete at all. In the UFC, when Roy Nelson fought there they would frequently comment on what he could do at LHW if he took his diet seriously. 

This is one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on here in a long time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This PPV is shaping up as a huge gamble by AEW.

Lot of stuff getting matches that could have stayed on the boil a little longer (Omega/Page, Bucks/FTR, MJF/Jericho). 

I think they should have switched the order of the title tournament matches. Page/Wardlow goes last and Omega/Penta opens the show. Page winning early set up an incredibly predictable main event in a ratings war, while the alternative gave them an additional chance to further the backstory of Kenny quietly negging the tag team competitor and Hangman finding out whether he overcomes self doubts to make the tournament final by overcoming a huge obstacle in Wardlow.

Good opening match though. Super enjoyable hoss fight. 

• Like 1

It seems like they're setting up the Bucks splitting and feuding, with Nick (or Matt?) refusing to acknowledge the severity of his injury and agreeing to this terrible "never challenge for the belts again" stipulation and Matt (or Nick?) obviously realizing this is a terrible idea but letting his brother go through with it.

The few times NXT has got more eyeballs than AEW, it was always by hyping a special episode. And so it goes again. Only the last few times, the special episodes were actually disappointing letdowns that made the next few weeks drop, whereas Hhavoc was actually alright. I can see the Jericho MJF Town Hall thing sending people to check NXT out and them then staying for the TLC match.

The very worst thing that would happen would be for the Powers that Be to conclude that car crash matches are a draw and start having crazy stips on every show. Which is what will probably happen.