DVDVR Message Board

HALLOWEEN HAVOC XIII - 10/28/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Your host Shotzi Blackheart.  Your card:  

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Io Shirai (c) vs. Candice LeRae

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL MATCH FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Damian Priest (c) vs. Johnny Gargano

HAUNTED HOUSE OF HORRORS MATCH - Dexter Lumis vs. Cameron Grimes

Rhea Ripley vs. Raquel Gonzalez

Jake Atlas vs. Santos Escobar*

* - Non-title match

--

Doesn't look bad on paper, depending on your tolerance of Gargano. 

First time in a while I've watched NXT live instead of AEW. The Rhea/Gonzales match was really good and Io/Candice was solid. Escobar/Atlas could have been better if it had gone longer. I'm not a big fan of the cinematic WWE matches, but Grimes plays the dufus heel so well this fell into the so bad it was good category.

Fun show, something NXT misses most of the time is not being such a stiff show and how a little more fun/vibrancy. 

Rhea/Gonzales was a great lady hoss match.  Gonzales has gotten a lot better recently.  Io/Candice was good, definitely worth it for Io's chair assisted dragon screw.  Good overall show.

Priest/Johnny was fine. Figured Gargano would win as he needed something to finally move forward. Guessign the masked helper was supposed o be Hartwell. Also guessignt he lack of reveal means she was quarantined. 

Atlas/Escobar was alright, but too short to be anything standout.

Lumis/Grimes was utterly stupid and fun. Even the prematch stuff with Regal leading Grimes to his doom was a joy.

The McAffee angle segment was good. Dug the explanation of how he and 1-2 got together. The cheap shot angle from Dunn on O'Reilly was also pretty neat. Hopefully McAffee ends up playing this more as manager for 1-2 & Dunn. 

Rhea/Raquel was so so damn good. Both women looked awesome. I only wish it took just a pinch more to put Raquel away.

Io/Candice was fun and solid all around though that ending table spot was fucking scary. Hope poor Candice is ok. Was worried Candice might win, but with Io retaining and Rhea beating Raquel now feels like the time to finally do Rhea/Io for the belt. They could easily main event a Takeover. 

Good show tonight.

15 minutes ago, APO said:

Maybe I'm just being weird, but it's so hard for me to have any real sympathy for anybody in Undisputed Era when they're falling prey to the same type of shit they've been doing to the rest of the roster.

Nah, its an understandable response. There is a reason their face turn is happening against the only guy who can come across as a bigger douche/asshole than they are in Pat McAfee.

• Like 1

Pete Dunne lost a bunch of weight. He's probably barely 180lbs now.

Also, referring back to the NXT UK thread, UK guys had limited access to serious gym equipment. Like many of them, Dunne looks like he's done a lot of bodyweight work, with a few curls and band pressdowns on top maybe.

And yeah UE pulled way too much shit for too long to be babyfaces here in my mind. I'm Team McAfee all the way.

Sh*T Just Got Real"- Adam Cole Responds After Pat McAfee Mocks Undisputed  Era on His Return - EssentiallySports

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I just watched some of the highlights on YouTube, but Wade’s deadpan “Zombies are legal in this matchup” may be one of my favorite calls of all time.

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Wade's really settled into the commentary role well. Chance of him wrestling again is pretty much 0 outside of a 24-7 Title win now I'd say, was good to see the gavel back for one night.

Loved Wade on commentary tonight. I think it was his best night so far in NXT. 

That clip with the Garganos was wonderful. The two have become such good characters the past few months. Also loved how Johnny has switched to loving wheels after he won his match with Priest.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

That clip with the Garganos was wonderful. The two have become such good characters the past few months. Also loved how Johnny has switched to loving wheels after he won his match with Priest.

Came her to post much the same thing.  The Garganos goofball heel routine is probably my favorite thing about NXT right now.

Thought the show was decent,  Liked Gargano-Priest a great deal.  Rhea-Racquel was good, though a phone call distracted me midway through so I'm going to rewatch it.  Io-Candace needed more time.  The ladder bump was horrifying and Candace reminds me of Sasha Banks in that both women look too slight to take these sort of bumps and walk away.

Didn't care for the smoke and mirrors (literally ) of Lumis-Grimes, though Wade had some good one-liners and Grimes' as a kinda idiotic chickenshit heel is fun.

Escobar-Atlas was ok, but too short to be much.  And I never really thought Atlas had a chance of winning.  Escobar channeling WCW-era Rey makes me hope they send Rey to NXT to feud with Escobar, but I doubt that will happen.

13 hours ago, APO said:

Maybe I'm just being weird, but it's so hard for me to have any real sympathy for anybody in Undisputed Era when they're falling prey to the same type of shit they've been doing to the rest of the roster.

I dunno if it's lack of sympathy, but I feel the same.  Maybe it's the fact that they've been pulling these sneak beatdowns on others for so long that they should be smart enough not to get suckered in themselves.  Longtime heels usually get dumber when they become smiling babyfaces.  UE becoming babyfaces reminds of the Midnight Express turning babyface near the end of their WCW run.  ME would fall for the same sneak attacks and double team tactic they used night-in/night-out at heels.  Even as a kid, it'd bug me that Stan would come in to argue with the ref so the heels could double-team Bobby and work him over while the ref had his back turned.  They'd only used that same trick a 1,000 times or 2 when they were heels.  You think they'd know why better.

It doesn't help that all four members of UE are better heels than faces, imo.  Or that I don't care a bit about 1-2-MacAfee.  At least they brought Dunne in.  That'll get me to watch.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Nah, its an understandable response. There is a reason their face turn is happening against the only guy who can come across as a bigger douche/asshole than they are in Pat McAfee.

The thing is, even with Pat there, I see him, Dunne, and 1-2 as the faces because it's kinda long been time for UE to start catching a few receipts for all the shit they've pulled.

• Thanks 1