DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They've never done anything like that in their entire careers as far as I know, and it goes against the entire gimmick of the team.

I get that the idea is they lost because they went outside their comfort zone.  It's just that it was so completely ridiculously far outside of their comfort zone.  The "psychology" is that they utterly took leave of their senses, I guess.

Five years of being the butt of BTE memes and no Tully on the outside makes that gaffe plausible. One member of a three-man set's ego makes him momentarily want to out-Buck the Bucks. Instantaneous consequences. Works for me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought it was nonsensical because in a match where umpteen superkicks had already been landed along with tons of other double team moves, it should have taken more than that to end the match.

To further defend the finish, I don't know if the Superkick really was what finished it. We have to assume Cash Wheeler has never attempted any flippy move EVER and thus has no idea what missing a 450 felt like.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They've never done anything like that in their entire careers as far as I know, and it goes against the entire gimmick of the team.

I get that the idea is they lost because they went outside their comfort zone.  It's just that it was so completely ridiculously far outside of their comfort zone.  The "psychology" is that they utterly took leave of their senses, I guess.

Wheeler did a bunch of flippy shit in the past. He's talked about it on interviews. Also, leading up to this match, Wheeler has done at least one flippy thing to show off in each of their matches.

32 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Pretending throwing Darby through that piece of cardboard was devastating... lol

Haha yeah, finally brought low by cardboard after weeks of vignettes where he's just like "I'm going to voluntarily climb into an iron maiden then have somebody put it in a giant washing machine and switch it on"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Also, leading up to this match, Wheeler has done at least one flippy thing to show off in each of their matches.

Okay, if THIS is true, then that brings it much closer to working for me than any "well they were very mad at the Bucks" explanation.  I've watched Dynamite, but that wasn't something I picked up on.

I understand in non-kayfabe, he obviously must have done a springboard 450 someplace before, because he did it perfectly here (other than not connecting with it).

Don't want to turn the entire thread into a discussion on this one point, so I'll leave it alone after this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Okay, if THIS is true, then that brings it much closer to working for me than any "well they were very mad at the Bucks" explanation.  I've watched Dynamite, but that wasn't something I picked up on.

I understand in non-kayfabe, he obviously must have done a springboard 450 someplace before, because he did it perfectly here (other than not connecting with it).

Don't want to turn the entire thread into a discussion on this one point, so I'll leave it alone after this.

I mean FTR's name is literally taken from BTE (Fuck The Revival)

• Like 1

Trent correcting Kip midsentence with a dry delivered "orange" absolutely ruled.

This show was phenomenal if a bit too long. All of the big matches delivered in their own way and Cody/Darby may have stolen the show with an episode of Degrassi. Cody has turned so hard without actually turning. He was the jock quarterback to Draby's drama kid. Then Taz coming out and telling 'em to act like men, holy shit that was hilarious but I'm guessing a tonne of the audience was thinking the same thing.

Omega/Hangman was vicious. It's a shame about Kenny's knee injury. He looked like he was at half power after that and it threw an already short match (for this calibre and a big Kenny match) off in the middle section. Anyway, they recovered with an excellent home stretch. The first third was so hard hitting too. This was the New Japan style match of the card. They were hitting each other like Valentine and Wahoo or Garvin. In fact, there was a tonne of stiffness in the show throughout. Loved the way Hangman sold the loss and his sad boi act in the tunnel later on.

Main event was hurt by a tired crowd but they beat the piss out of each other. I hope we get one garbage match from Mox a year on PPV. Totally down for that. Brutal stuff.

Tag match was ridiculous and everything you'd think from those two. It was the NXT match of the show. They both have a tendency to lean into the overly synchronized, cutesy spots for my liking sometimes and in that sense they brought the worst out of each other but I can admire what they were going for. They built an entire match based around shout outs to their influences and peers then tried to top each other at their own game. The ending made perfect sense to the story they were telling. Thought the Lakers/Celtics organized outfits was a bit much and FTR sometimes feel like the 16yo kid who just found out how hard classic rock rules... but still, this was awesome. 

John Silver looked like he was on some Wacky Races in the first portion of that match. Very fun showcase for those two. 

I am ready to move on from Matt Hardy the wrestler. That chair edge to the dome was sickening. They could've done this on TV and trimmed the show to a more reasonable length.

Women's match had some awkwardness but was pretty good and I liked Shida matching Nyla's disrespect. 

MJF/Jericho was a match. At this point I hope Jericho doesn't tarnish his in-ring legacy after he shit all over it outside of the ring this year.