DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

They’re in a very good position to push forward. All the belts are on the right guys. TNT title should be preserve of the smaller, explosive young talents right now (Darby; Starks; Sammy etc). Elevate and push those guys to the moon.

Turn Jericho baby face. Turn Cody heel. Run the narrative that Moxley is in his element against street thugs but vulnerable to technicians (Omega). Start Hangman’s reboot and push up. Lots to be excited about.

• Like 4

On 11/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, Marty Sugar said:

I love Eddie Kingston, and this story was perfect...but it's ending was, too. Sometimes you can dedicate your life to reaching the peak, but what if you fail? I'm intrigued by where Eddie goes from here: the story has so much potential this way, in his picking himself up to succeed or fall further. And I hate to say it, but Moxley totally outclassed Eddie as an athlete: Mox looks like the part of a world champion, and Eddie looked the part of a guy toiling on the indies for 18 years and got his lucky break...and that's as far as the dream goes.

Eddie has an aura of impending real violence that most wrestlers don't. That covers a lot of physical deficiency in his build. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Eddie has an aura of impending real violence that most wrestlers don't. That covers a lot of physical deficiency in his build. 

Word.  I'd rather fight a dude that looks like Brian Cage than a dude that looks like Eddie Kingston any day.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Log said:

Word.  I'd rather fight a dude that looks like Brian Cage than a dude that looks like Eddie Kingston any day.

There's a chance the dude who looks like Brian Cage doesn't know how to fight.

• Like 1

All in all, I really think the build hindered the PPV from everything outside of the main event. The number of heel turns that weren't just chilled the heat for a number of things and the very quick builds hurt as well.

Page-Omega was hindered by Omega's quasi-heel turn that still hasn't completed. Rather than having him do something that could solidify the turn and build him some actual heat. Having his path through the tournament go through a heel like Penta just seemed to muddy the waters. Having him fuck Page in some way would cement the turn and give Page some sort of out. As it stands, Page is beaten flat. 

FTR-Bucks got hurt from the Bucks taking that detour into being heels that also didn't materialize. It didn't make sense to do that in order to confuse that FTR were clear heels during that whole period rather than just putting sympathy on the Bucks from the jump. As it was, the build didn't help the match at all and, if anything, hurt the heat. Having Omega and Page come out after just feels like spinning their wheels rather than just moving the stories forward.

Darby-Cody suffered for me as it came off as a last minute thing. The Brody Lee angle came off as a detour for Cody in retrospect as they flowed right to that to Orange Cassidy and then to Darby in the last two weeks. I didn't feel the journey for Darby as he went from the Team Taz thing which is still going immediately to Cody and trying to build the steam from no where. If they didn't hot potato the strap, it would have meant more for Darby to be one to pry it out of Cody's hands. As it was, Cody just got it back so losing it again so quickly diminishes the impact.

Cassidy-Silver was built in like two weeks as well.

Nyla-Shida felt like an afterthought with Rose barely being around and the relationship with Vicky Guerrero barely being explored. 

Matt Hardy and Sammy felt like they were contractually obligated to go to the Hardy Compound. That gimmick just feels outdated in record time and I don't think anyone had any interest in the Sammy-Matt thing continuing after the concussion.

MJF-Jericho just seemed like nonsense. MJF trying to join the Inner Circle while feuding with them was a bad idea. I was lost trying to figure out what we are supposed to want happen. It also became an afterthought as I have to be honest, I kept forgetting it was on the card and had to look up the results to add it to this rundown.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, I think Priscilla Kelly is the best ex-wife ever. 

When I saw that I at first was thinking "Wait, but what about..." then I remembered reading they're still good friends so that's cool.

And I'm so glad I watched this again as without being distracted I was able to appreciate just how great the show was.  I honestly can't think of a better PPV they've done (though I still think fondly of last year's DoN) and was highly entertained throughout it all.  I will say though that watching Final Deletion on its own isn't nearly as fun as seeing it with a group of drunk friends.  But it served its purpose.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave's ratings

Deeb vs. Kay: 2.5

Omega vs. Page: 4.5

Cassidy vs. Silver: 3.5

Allin vs. Rhodes: 4.25

Rose vs. Shura: 3.25

FTR vs. Young Bucks: 5.25

Guevara vs. Hardy: No rating (cinematic)

Jericho vs. MJF: 3.5

Kingston vs. Moxley: 4.25

Thanks. I'd go:

Omega/Page, ****1/2.

Cassidy/Silver, ***3/4

Allin/Rhodes, ****1/4.

Shura/Rose, ***1/2.

Young Bucks/FTR, ****3/4 or *****.

MJF/Jericho, ***3/4.

Moxley/Kingston, ****1/2.

Pretty much agree with that, but definitely give Bucks-FTR full five stars (I definitely get what Dave is going for on 5+ star ratings, but like 0-5 range). Think that Bucks-Omega/Hangman was a bit better, but they are definitely the two best tag matches on American PPV in eons. I think I'm such a massive AEW fan because they absolutely bring it in the ring when it matters (have had a five-star level match/spectacle at five of their seven PPV's, plus a shit ton of other 4+ star matches), but also does not take itself super seriously. It's just a ton of fun watching American wrestling again, and the most fun I have had watching American wrestling since WCW's heyday (though to give the devil it's due, NXT was damn good from 2015 to early 2019).

Edit: For whatever goofiness there was with Bucks characters, they have participated in four of those five 5 star matches/spectacles (though watching everything put together, I still argue that it makes a lot of sense, which also teasing future tensions if/when shit fully hits the fan for them).

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1